Building Expressions Equal to 20
2nd Grade Mathematics
Domain: Number and Operations in Base Ten
Topic: Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Standard Statement: Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Source: http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/Topics/Ohio-s-New-Learning-Standards/Mathematics/Math-Standards.pdf.aspx (Pages 17-20)
NETS-S Standards Addressed:
✓ Research and information fluency
✓ Critical thinking, problem-solving, & decision-making
- Students will be able to make sense of the concept of equality by engaging in repetitive practice with different equations.
- Students will understand relational thinking by noting relationships between two sides of an equation.
- Students will have an understanding of basic addition number facts within 20, through the practice of adding each equation together to see if they both equal 20.
2. Practice example equations on the Interactive Whiteboard.
3. Present the interactive activity/game, “Build Expressions Equal to Twenty: The Snap Blocks Tool” and demonstrate how to play.
4. One at a time, students will come up to the Interactive Whiteboard and attempt to solve the equations presented in the game/activity.
Evaluation Plan for Students:
- Evaluate and assess student comprehension through class discussions and practicing equations.
- Evaluate and assess student comprehension while they participate in the interactive game, "Build Expressions Equal to Twenty: The Snap Blocks Tool".
- Evaluate and assess student comprehension of 5 equations that they create, using Unifix® Cubes.
Lesson Reflections and Notes:
- I believe this activity would be a very engaging way for students to learn and participate with their classmates, in order to solve mathematical problems and basic addition number facts within 20.
- Rather than using worksheets or a dry erase board, the Interactive Whiteboard gives students the opportunity to learn through technology with a hands-on approach.