Mr. Nielsen's Wildcat Newsletter
Weekly Madrona Middle News - June 6, 2021
WE ARE WRAPPING UP THE SCHOOL YEAR...Important information below
Return of School Materials
For students who borrowed a school chromebook, parents please check your email for a separate notice.
Thursday, June 10- All 6th & 7th graders Cohort A will return borrowed chromebooks (unless a separate Google Form was completed) and textbooks in Period 6 class.
Friday, June 11 - School office will be open from 8:00am-2:00pm to collect chromebooks (unless a separate Google Form was completed) and textbooks from Cohort B.
Monday, June 14 - At school office from 8:00-2:00pm to collect last chance to return chromebooks and textbooks.
Last Week of School Bell Schedule
No Wednesday Late Start and Last Day of School Thursday June 10
- Monday, June 7, Periods 1, 3, 5 Cohort A @ school; (B/D @ home)
- Tuesday, June 8, Periods 2, 4, 6 Cohort B @ school; (A/D @ home)
- Wednesday, June 9 Periods 1, 3, 5 Cohort B @ school; (A/D @ home)
- Thursday, June 10 Periods 2, 4, 6 Cohort A @ school; (B/D @ home)
8th Graders - Promotion Schedule... MORE DETAILED INFORMATION WILL BE SENT ON MONDAY
Wednesday, June 9 Schedule - Practice
- Prior to promotion practice, library will be open for 8th graders to drop off borrowed chromebooks and textbooks.
- Students who returned all materials will receive their promotion tickets (in a sealed envelope) at practice to take home.
All 8th graders report to school at 10:00 am.
Promotion practice - 10am-12pm
8th Grade Picnic @ Madrona - 12pm-2pm
PTSA will provide picnic lunch and activities
8th Grade Students dismissed at 2pm
Thursday, June 10th Schedule - Practice & Promotion
All 8th graders report to school at 10am for promotion practice, 8th graders will be dismissed at 11am
Grades 6/7 dismissed at 2pm
Promotion begins at 6:00 pm (teachers helping arrive by 5:30)
Masks must be worn at all times.
Madrona Art Club
The Madrona Art Club is proud to present its portfolio of student artwork.
Congratulation to the following Madrona artists:
Jada Wilson, Makenna Ackley, Cameron Napier, Kaili Nomura, Samira Ake, Ishika Chhawchharia, Mineli Garcia, Caelia Huang, Megan Lam, Tamilyn Nakamura, Lilia Gobeille, Axel Shenosky-Braly, August Tinsley, Emily Yang, Sophia Fujii, Evelyn Schultz, Lindsey Chang, Sante Butler, and Isaac Hokama.
Get FREE Access to JLG Digital all summer long?
Torrance City Library 2021 Summer Reading Program!
The Torrance Public Library 2021 Summer Reading Program runs Monday, June 7, 2021 through Saturday, August 14, 2021, with the theme: "Reading Colors Your World." Any California resident of any age can sign up and choose to either read 20 hours, complete 20 literacy activities, complete 20 library activities, or mix and match to their heart's delight to receive a final prize! When they complete the program, participants can download their certificate and choose their final prize at any Torrance Library. Sign up online at
TUSD Math Acceleration Summer Program
5 Week Summer Program: June 21-July 22, 2021If your 6th or 7th grader, excelled in math this year, you may be interested in enrolling your student in TUSD's Math Acceleration Summer Program. Click here for more information.
Recognitions of the Week!
Reading All Stars: Top Stats for the YEAR!
- Top Class - Dr. Torres Period 3 with 170,015 minutes
- Danielle Wilson 16,645 min.; Isabella Afanasyeva 15,343 min.; Micah Papilla, 14,862 min.
Shout Outs to:
- Congratulation to the Madrona Art Club 2021 Artists for their outstanding work and participation this year: Jada Wilson, Makenna Ackley, Cameron Napier, Kaili Nomura, Samira Ake, Ishika Chhawchharia, Mineli Garcia, Caelia Huang, Megan Lam, Tamilyn Nakamura, Lilia Gobeille, Axel Shenosky-Braly, August Tinsley, Emily Yang, Sophia Fujii, Evelyn Schultz, Lindsey Chang, Sante Butler, and Isaac Hokama.
- Mrs. Wulpern sends a shout out to period 2 - A cohort for being so responsible when our interned was down. Also, congrats to the following students for getting 4's on our last Quick Check: Matthew Corcoran, Jason Galloway, Rachel Morris, Brittany Serrano, Steven Leon, Melina Servino, Shane Sola, Sydney Starr, and Madden Tialavea.
- Mrs. Brown says thank you to all my promoting 8th grade speech students for 3 great years! Keep up the good work and do well in high school!
- Mr. Snow gives a shout out to the 8th grade promo speech contestants. All were truly terrific and it was an extremely difficult task narrowing it down to one. Recognizing all the participants: Lena Chung, Melody Cam, Kris Colon, Isaac Figueroa, Amelie Lopez, Akshay Nair, Kaitlyn Quach, Eden Scott, Destiny Sheehy, and Isabella Estrada.
- Mr. H and Mr. Snow are happy to announce and congratulations to Amelia Lopez, this year's promotion speaker.
- Mr. H. gives a shout out to the Madrona Art Club. It has been a fabulous year of watching you grow as artists. Keep being creative and expressing yourselves!
- Mrs. Young Geo Kim for being attentive and answering questions when he is doing distant learning and Jason Galloway for having a good attitude and his funny remarks in class.
- Mrs. Miskimen would like to thank all her students for persevering and helping each other out during this pandemic. I learned a lot this year too from you all. What a memorable year this will always be. Have a wonderful summer and come and visit me next year. Stay safe.
- Mrs. Snider Congratulations to the following students who were recognized at the Madrona Music Family's Celebration Night this past Tuesday.
Outstanding Beginning Musicians
Ayesha Khaja - Flute
Kristin Nakamura - Oboe
Manuella Estrella - Clarinet
Emi Do - Clarinet
Joshua Miwa - Saxophone
Henry Kim - Trumpet
Andrew Yun - French Horn
Andrea Garcia - Trombone
Joshua Hackley - Percussion
Reda Maassarani - Percussion
Outstanding Choir Member 2021 - Lillian Schulz
Choir Director's Award 2021 - Kayla Sakurai
Outstanding Band Member 2021 - Amelie Lopez
Band Director's Award 2021 - Melody Cam