Wayland Union Schools
2021-2022 Professional Development Offerings
District Provided PD Opportunities and Information/Guidelines
- In-Service Days: These are required PD days for all teachers/staff members covered under the WUEA bargaining agreement. Everyone in attendance will automatically have SCECHs submitted on their behalf, these hours will also be logged for you in the SF2K portal.
- PLC Hours: These are required hours (6 hours) that must be completed with your PLC, focusing on PLC topics (the 4 essential questions). These hours must be documented in the SF2K portal to earn credit. These hours will be eligible for SCECH credit as long as backup documentation is available for review in our district PLC folders.
- PD offerings for SCECH credit: Certified staff can use SCECHs toward certificate renewal. Several opportunities for earning SCECH credit are available throughout the school year. Anything on this page has been pre-approved. If you would like an offering to be considered for SCECH credit, please submit an agenda and objectives to Teresa Fulk 45 days prior to participating in the offering. Teresa Fulk will review the offering to be sure it will qualify for SCECHs and respond within 48 business hours. Stipends may/may not be available for these opportunities. Stipends, if available, will be noted in the PD description. These hours must be documented in the SF2K portal to earn SCECH credit. Click here to view a list of PD opportunities that have been submitted and approved for SCECH credit.
*It is important to note that the district will be submitting SCECH information to MDE (Michigan Department of Education) for participants of our various PD options. PD participants will need to complete the district-level PD evaluation AND login to MOECS to complete the PD evaluation in MOECS in order for SCECHs to appear on the MOECS site. For additional information on SCECHs from MDE, please visit this link.
This list will be revised as additional opportunities become available.
Please contact Teresa Fulk if you have any questions.
- Wednesday, August 18th
- Thursday, August 19th
- Monday, November 1st
- Monday, January 17th
- Monday, March 14th
Ongoing Professional Development Opportunities
27-29th - A Roadmap to Civic Re-Engagement (Held Virtually)
Everyday Math Training for New and Newer Teachers (Held Virtually)
August 2 – 10:00 AM EDT
August 5 – 2:00 PM EDT
August 12 – 10:00 AM EDT
August 19 – 2:00 PM EDT
August 26 – 10:00 AM EDT
Please visit this link to register. Please send an agenda and proof of completion to Teresa Fulk to be awarded SCECHs.
9th-12th - Explicit Instruction Academy (Held Virtually)
The Explicit Instruction Academy focuses on the design and delivery elements that define explicit instruction. As a high-leverage instructional practice, explicit instruction consistently yields positive effects for increasing outcomes for all learners including students with disabilities.
By the end of these sessions, participants will:
1. Provide bell-to-bell instruction to optimize student learning every day
2. Select critical content for lessons, breaking complex tasks into obtainable pieces
3. Design organized, systematic, intentional lessons that contain an opening, a body, and a closing, adjusting the lesson to the content
4. Present lessons in an engaging manner that optimizes student attention and learning
5. Elicit responses throughout the lesson
6. Monitor the accuracy of students’ responses and adjust the lesson based on student performance
7. Provide immediate feedback on students’ responses in order to close the gap between current and desired functioning
8. Provide judicious practice on skills, strategies, concepts, vocabulary, academic rules, and facts to ensure retention
9. Create a classroom climate that promotes appropriate behavior, academic learning, and positive relationships with peers and the teacher
To register for the Explicit Instruction Academy, click this link.
16th - Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Reading Training (Held Virtually)
To register, please email Teresa Fulk.
SCECHs will be awarded for participation.
16th and 17th - Apple Professional Learning (Held Virtually)
Are you looking for tips on improving the integration of iPads into instruction? Are you participating in the MacBook pilot? These sessions are for you!
8/16: 8:30-11:30 and 12:00-3:00
8/17: 8:30-11:30 and 12:00-3:00
Participants should try to join the virtual conference with a secondary device, which frees up their iPad/Mac for usage.
Topics will be added as they are finalized. To register, please email Teresa Fulk.
SCECHs will be awarded for participation.
17th - New Teacher Orientation - 8:30 - 3:00pm
- Provide new teachers and their mentors with an overview of the Mentor Program at WUS
- Teach new teachers about key district systems (payroll, substitute teacher request process, purchase cards, Infinite Campus, etc.)
- Provide new teachers with a tour of the school district
TBD - Spring Technology Playdate
Non-Traditional Activities Eligible for SCECHs
Note: SCECHs for these activities may be earned up to a maximum of three times toward certificate renewal in a certificate renewal period.
- Supervision of Student Teacher/Teacher Intern, School Counselor Internship, School Psychologist Required Practicum/Internship, or Pre-Teaching/Mid-tier Student/Pre-Service Student
- Mentoring a new Teacher, new School Counselor, new School Psychologist, or a new Principal/Administrator
- Serving on an approved accreditation review and/or site visit team, K-12 School Improvement Team, School Committee, or MDE Committee