GES Staff Update-Week of 10/17/16
Just for Grins...
FLEX is Due!
Massages at WORK!
Happy relaxing from The Sunshine Committee and PTA!!!
Food Truck Lunch!
- CORE visits start this week! We look forward to this new way of collaborating and observing. Check out the Round 1 Schedule
- Our very own Mrs. Landrum has a special birthday on Wednesday, October 19. This will be the tenth anniversary of her 30th! Help us celebrate by wishing her a happy birthday!
- Fall deadline for Box Tops is Friday, October 21. Please include this date in your parent communications this week.
- November 3 will be an early dismissal day for Student Led Conferences. Please start to schedule those with your families.
- Our generous PTA provides donations of $200 to each grade to support field trip costs. Please see Gina in order to figure out how these donations will offset costs.
Things to Know...
Team meeting answers are captured on a google document each week. Check them out! Team meeting answers from Oct. 10-14.
- Wednesday, October 19th is Unity Day! In order to celebrate, please wear an orange shirt and your jeans! For more information, please check out their website: http://www.pacer.org/bullying/nbpm/unity-day.asp
- We will be utilizing Fast Passes again this year for family members who will be joining our GES Stars for Lunch With a Loved One. Every visitor will be required to check in through the front office and Raptor system for all school wide events that occur during the school day. Feel free to include the information from the Monday Message in your newsletters.
- Do you have feedback on the new grading policy? Please feel free to add your input to our google document.
- The LEAD with Technology blog has some useful information on Google drawing. Check it out HERE!
- We will have a Red Ribbon Week kickoff Pep Rally in the Cafeteria at 2pm on Monday, 10/24.
- Our annual Book Character Parade will be held on Friday, 10/28 at 7:55am. We have created a new indoor route this year that will allow students to see each grade level. It will also include a procession outside so that parents can see their GES Stars without checking in through the front office. Students will be asked to wear their book character costume to school. We hope the earlier start time will allow us to complete our parade and minimize the amount of instructional time lost.Watch for parade route information in your mailbox soon!
- Information regarding the GES Geography Bee was included in the Monday Message. Interested 4th & 5th grade students will complete a written geography test the first week of November. The top 10 students will be selected to compete in the school Geography Bee on January 12, 2016 at 8:15am.
Red Ribbon Week Information
POSTER and PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (PSA) CONTEST
GCISD will be sponsoring a drug prevention poster contest.
• Posters must be on 11 x 17 paper or ½ of a poster board.
• Please include the student’s name, grade and school on the back of the poster.
• District winners will be announced on Wednesday, October 26th
GCISD is also sponsoring a Public Service Announcements competition. All entries must be submitted by Tuesday, October 25th to email@example.com. Please title the email “RRW PSA 2016”. Entries must be no longer that 30 seconds. Winners will be announced Thursday, October 27th . All first place district level winners will be recognized at the November school board meeting. Your campus principal and counselor will be notified.
Go Green Days
Teacher Schedule: Here is the link to the teacher schedule, which includes your times for our preview day on Monday, 10/24/16, as well as times to send kids with money during the week.
Flyer for Parents: A paper copy of this flyer will be going home with your students, but please send this link to your parents in your newsletters: http://bit.ly/2dkMepB It contains a volunteer signup, as well as events for the bookfair.
Wishlist Boxes: Don't forget to drop by the Learning Commons on Monday (10/24/16) to fill your wishlist box! Parents always enjoy buying books for your classrooms. Check back often to see if you need to put more books in your box! Don't forget that you can spend PTA reimbursement money at the Book Fair. The forms can be found in the PTA bin in the workroom.
Book Fair Schedule:
Thursday, 10/20: Library Closed: Book Fair Decorating/Set Up
Friday, 10/21: Library Closed: Wahpekeche out of town
Monday, 10/24 - Friday, 10/28 Book Fair Week
Monday 10/24: Book Fair Preview Day
- Bring iPads, please! We're taking pictures of books instead of writing wishlists!
Tuesday, 10/25: Book Fair opens for business
Wednesday, 10/26: Lunch with a Loved One
Friday, 10/28: Book Character Parade and Book Fair open until PTA Glow Dance ends
Monday, 10/17 through Friday, 10/22 CogAT testing (2nd & 5th)
Monday, 10/17 Choir (2:55-3:45pm); CORE visits
Tuesday, 10/18 GCISD Pink Out day (wear PINK and jeans!); Food Truck Day; Dr. Newell on campus for Humanities Campus Visits (8-12noon)
Wednesday, 10/19 Flu shots in the science lab (7 am-10 am); CORE visits; FLEX hours are due!
Wednesday, 10/19 UNITY day (wear ORANGE & jeans); Running Club (2:55-3:30pm)
Thursday, 10/20 1:1 PLCs during conference times; Choir (2:55-3:45pm); Science Club (2:55-3:55pm); Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm); PTA meeting (6:30pm)
Friday, 10/21 GES College Colors Day; GCISD Red Rail Rivalry (CHHS vs. GHS @7:30pm)
Monday 10/24 through Friday, 10/28 Red Ribbon Week & Book Fair
Monday, 10/24 Team Up Against Drugs!; Red Ribbon Week Pep Rally (2pm); Choir (2:55-3:45pm)
Tuesday, 10/25 Drugs and I Don’t Mix!; CEC meeting (3:15pm)
Wednesday, 10/26 Use your head, Don’t Do Drugs; Lunch With a Loved One; Running Club (2:55-3:30pm); Art Club (2:55-3:55pm)
Thursday, 10/27 Lei off of Drugs; Kinder field trip; Choir (2:55-3:45pm); Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm)
Friday, 10/28 Have you RED a good book lately?; Book Parade at 7:55am
Monday, 10/31 Student of the Month awards; Fire Prevention assembly for K-2 classes (8:30am); Choir (2:55-3:45pm)
Tuesday, 11/1 Generation Texas/College Day (wear college shirts); Food Truck Day; Staff meeting (3:10pm)
Wednesday, 11/2 Running Club (2:55-3:30pm); Sunshine Committee meeting
Thursday, 11/3 Early dismissal for student led conferences
Friday, 11/4 GES spirit day; 5th grade field trip
Where We Will Be...
- Monday, 10/17 Horn off campus; Burwell off campus
- Wednesday, 10/19 Heather is 40!! Liz off campus at Principal’s Meeting
- Thursday, 10/20 - Horn at RtI Behavior Committee 2:30-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, 10/21 - Hale out at Coaches/Liaisons meeting
Monday Message to Parents
The following link will take you to the parent newsletter that will be sent out mid-morning on Monday: The Monday Message
Disclaimer: It is a work in progress until Monday morning!
2016 Holiday Greeting Card Art Contest
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder: http://bit.ly/2buFsfQ
- Grading Policy: information can be found in the Grading folder; feedback can be provided on our GES Grading Policy feedback document; copy of the GES Student Contract
- Team Meeting Answers are added to a weekly document for all staff to view.
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP