ELA Coach's Corner
Monthly Literacy Newsletter for FTS, by Holli Van
April Coaching Menu
(to sign up, email me with dates and times that work for you!)
- Conferring 101 -- review architecture of a 1:1 reading / writing conference; I will model conferences with your students and then we will debrief during a planning / prep period. For beginners or those who wish to review.
- Writing Learning Targets -- Have you heard the term "personalized learning" being thrown around? Learning targets are the basis for personalized learning. Learn and practice to reframe CCSS objectives in student friendly language.
Follow Me, Read Me, Try Me! (click icons!!!)
Strategy of the Month
Readers can find the main idea by sorting and labeling.
(* Great for ELL or students who still struggle with this skill. *)
- Have students sort picture cards. Record their strategies on a chart. (see photo)
- Have students take one category and re-sort into smaller, more specific groups. Record those strategies on chart as well.
- Discuss possible labels for each group. Essentially, the label is the main idea of the group.
- Move to text - cut up one paragraph into sentences, or several paragraph of text, and apply the strategies from the chart.
- Discuss possible label for the paragraph; this is the main idea.
** IMPORTANT APRIL DATES **
ELA Department Meetings
Tuesday, April 19th, 2:30-3:30pm
384 West Main Street
- Please complete your "ELA Department Meeting: District Writing Goal" document, with your grade level colleagues. Send to Holli and Christine. :)
- Refer to Dr. Haimer's email from 3/22, regarding district goal data and Genesis.
** 4/19 is a soft deadline.**
Voice & Choice in Literature Circles
Tuesday, April 26th, 2:30-3:30pm
Clifton T Barkalow Middle Schl, Freehold, NJ, United States
"Voice & Choice in Literature Circles."
PD presented by Holli & Rob Albanese
See forthcoming email for details.
Holli Van Albanese
Clifton T. Barkalow Middle School
Dwight D. Eisenhower Middle School