Weekly Newsletter - October 3, 2019
the month of the holy rosary
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
As we prepare to welcome our SJCS grandparents tomorrow, I am reminded of my own grandparents and the impact they have had on my life. Both sets were extremely hardworking individuals with no time to waste. They were always so very busy about the task of living. They came from much leaner times, and probably would have a hard time relating to the way we live today. I've never seen more self-sufficient people, and in a way, I envy their way of life. A life of farming and faith. Faith that God would provide, and He always did.
I pray that our students take a moment to learn all they can about their grandparents. The older generation has learned a thing or two, and are willing to share as long as we are willing to listen. May God always bless our grandparents. We are so very grateful to have them in our lives.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Theme for the Year: Goodness
Goodness Bible Verse for october
saintly quote to ponder
The secret of happiness is to live moment by moment and to thank God for all that He, in His goodness, sends to us day after day. - St. Gianna Molla
New Campus-wide Virtues Program
St. Joseph Catholic School is incorporating a new virtues program across all grade levels to help forge a stronger relationship with Jesus, and to grow in both wisdom and virtue. The program is called: Virtues in Practice by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN.
Please click on image below to view the program. Program details may also be found on the school website under the "Curriculum" tab and in Parent Links under the "Resources" tab.
Latin and greek roots challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Tomorrow is Grandparents Day. In honor of grandparents who are no longer with us, please feel free to bring a long-stemmed flower to Mass. We will have a container in front of the altar for the students who may wish to place a flower in their honor. We will also have a bulletin board available in the cafeteria for students to post photos of their grandparents. You may also feel free to bring a flower and/or a photo of your grandparents who are not able to attend our event for one reason or another.
- Grandparents Day-First Friday Mass-Early Dismissal - All happening tomorrow, October 4th. Students will need to come to school in their Dress Uniforms. Students will be dismissed at noon.
- Do you have an extra bottle of wine? We are in need of bottles of wine for the "wine pull" at our biggest fundraiser of the year, "A Knight to Remember". This is a super fun way to possibly win a fabulous bottle of wine at our gala! If you have an extra bottle, or would like to purchase one for the event, please bring your donation directly to the school office. We would be thrilled to accept it! Remember, you receive one service hour for every $10 spent to help the school. Go, Knights!
- A Knight to Remember Raffle Ticket Kick-Off Pep Rally - Monday, October 7th in the gym at 2:30 PM. Come join us!
- HSA Spirit Night - October 8th at El Pollo Loco. Please see HSA section below for details.
- Nolan Homecoming Blue-Out Day - Friday, October 11th you all may wear a blue t-shirt with your uniform bottoms and uniform shoes in honor of NCHS Homecoming! We might see some small mums on campus as well! Be sure to check the Thursday Folder for mum ordering information. You may also wear your red Friday Knight shirt if you choose.
- Please follow the Parent/Student Handbook guidelines on appearance and uniform requirements like socks, hair color, length and style, nail color and length, etc. Thank you.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Come out to El Pollo Loco (4911 S. Cooper Street) for a meal on Tuesday, October 8th and earn some money for the school! Any time between 10:30 AM and 10:00 PM. Hope you can make it! Thank you for supporting the school through HSA.
- Our next Home and School Association (HSA) Meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 16th at 7:00 p.m. in the school cafeteria. We will pray the rosary before the meeting. Come join us in prayer beginning at 6:30 pm. We hope you can attend!
- The children of HSA Members who have paid their dues to join, and are able to attend the monthly meetings, are allowed to wear any SJCS spirit shirt purchased through the school with blue jeans and tennis shoes of their choice to school on the Thursday after the meeting!
Click below to purchase AK2R tickets!
HSA Spirit Night Contest
This year we are going to have a Spirit Night Contest!
The class that has the most attendance for Spirit Nights will win an ICE CREAM Sundae Party!
Each teacher will be given an envelope to keep the receipts and it is easy to participate!
Three Easy Steps:
1. Attend a Spirit Night
2. Save your receipt
3. Turn the receipt in to your teacher (if multiple students turn in their receipt to one teacher, be sure to write all the students' names on the receipt)
Water Walk - A Must Read!
H2O For Life - St. Joseph Catholic School Water Walk Project Completed!
Updated - Safe Environment Training Requirement
Safe Environment Certification for Adult and Teen Volunteers is REQUIRED PRIOR TO SERVING in Ministry in schools and parishes AND MUST BE RENEWED EVERY TWO YEARS. All adult volunteers are required to make a VIRTUS Profile, to complete the Volunteer Ministry Application, to authorize a criminal background check by completing an Authorization Form, to sign the Diocesan Code of Conduct, and to complete Safe Environment Training. A live training, “Safe Environment Awareness Session,” is required for all volunteers.
Log on fwdioc.org, click on Safe Environment, select Awareness Sessions and click on I need a VIRTUS Profile if you do not already have one. When you make a profile, print out the Code of Conduct and Volunteer Ministry Application when it is complete. Safe Environment Coordinators cannot see your answers and signatures. If you do not print it out, we will need a hard copy for your file. The office can provide you with the Authorization for Release of Information for the background check. This form is needed in the file so we may input your correct information into ScreeningOne. Turn in your paperwork to the school before or right after your Awareness Session. Contact Lori Zalesak in the school office with the date of your session so you can be tracked through the process and placed on the Volunteer List for the school when complete. When you are sent home a copy of your VIRTUS Completion Certificate, you are ready to volunteer in the school and at events. Contact the office if you need further information.
Knights in Action!
Moments Captured around campus
Faculty and Staff Day of Service
Displays On campus
Be sure to check out all the beautiful student work around campus!
STREAM Wish list
STREAM Enrichment would love to have these items donated for your children's use.
- pipe cleaners
- clothes pins
- Popsicle sticks ( big and small) (colorful and plain)
- plastic spiders (Halloween)
- cotton balls
- candy corn
- marshmallows- small
- colored pom poms
- scotch tape
- gallon plastic bags
- Jolly Ranchers
- Hershey's Kisses
| || |
Our team had alumni, Brennan Chan (Class of 2016), who currently attends Nolan Catholic High School, stop by to assist. Thank you, Brennan! Once a Knight, always a Knight!
SJCS Students become leaders
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Meet our Dominican Sisters!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.