October 9th, 2020
Office Hours: 8:00a-5:00p
School Phone: 816-359-4360
Technology Support: 816-359-5000
Principal: Terri Deayon
Assistant Principal: Sarah Sieminski
Counselor: Mandy Frayer
Social Worker: Ellie Logan
Nurse: Cassie Grantham
October 29th: End of 1st Quarter Grading Period
October 29th-November 13th: Enrollment Window for 2nd Semester (changes between online and in-person may occur during this window)
October 30th: Fall Party from 2:45-3:30p
- Online learners: Use this Online Family Fall Party Supply Pick-Up to sign-up for a time to pick-up supplies needed for the party!
- In-person learners: Unfortunately, we are not able to welcome parents at the parties this year. However, we plan to take lots of photos to share!
November 6th: Report Cards Distributed to Families
November 9th: PTA Meeting via Zoom at 6:30p
November 20th: Picture Retakes & Online Student Pictures
This message from Dr. Cowherd includes information about enrollment for second semester - either in-person or online for elementary students.
2nd Semester Enrollment Window
Without action, your child will continue with his or her current learning mode (online or in-person) during second semester.
During the enrollment window from October 29 – November 13, you will be able to change learning options in the Parent Portal. An email will be sent on October 29 to remind you of your student’s current learning mode. There will be a link to the portal if you would like to make a change. There will be an enrollment phone help line set up during the window to answer individual questions (Help line 816-359-4044 and email firstname.lastname@example.org will be available during business hours from October 29 – November 13.)
2020 Parent Teacher Conferences
Continued Focus on Safety Precautions
As we continue to implement precautions to ensure everyone’s safety during this time, we want to remind you about the importance of sending children to school in clean masks that are washed daily. A clean mask will help stop the spread of germs and will help limit the amount of germs that come in to contact with your child’s face. Please see this information from the CDC on how to properly clean cloth face masks. If your child prefers to wear disposable masks, please send them in a new, clean disposable mask every day. Thank you for your help in keeping our Superstars healthy!
Please continue to send your child(ren) to school with a water bottle each day. This is extremely important, so that students can avoid using water fountains. As you know, students often struggle to use a water fountain without putting their mouth in the same space as other fountain users.
Postitive Behavioral Interventions & Supports
PBIS stands for “Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports.” In schools, this framework involves directly teaching students expected behaviors. At Southeast we teach students to... Be a Superstar: Be Safe, Be Kind, Be Proactive, Be a Leader. Students learn how they can meet these expectations in all parts of the building.
Expected behaviors are worded in a positive way, focusing on how students should behave, rather than what they shouldn’t do. For example, one expectation may be “Use walking feet in the hallway” rather than “Don’t run in the hallway.”
PBIS schools praise and recognize students for their positive behaviors. At Southeast, we use leadership points to further reinforce positive behaviors. Staff members use the PBIS Rewards App to award students points. Classroom teachers help students "trade-in" their points for various incentives.
In addition, PBIS involves using a range of supportive services (called interventions) to encourage appropriate behaviors and prevent or address problem behaviors. These interventions are based on data and are evidence based. If you would like more information, please visit the National Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports website or the Missouri PBIS website.
This Virtual Relaxation Room is a place for students and families to find tools and strategies for managing emotions and feelings. The live animals videos are a favorite for students!
PH Online Resources
For our Park Hill Online students and their families, we have developed some resources to help with navigating the online experience, including all the online learning tools.
- Check out the Parent University webpages our educators put together, with tips and resources for families. Using the feedback we hear, we will regularly add new information to support families as they help their students connect to technology, guide social-emotional learning, and navigate online learning.
- Also, feel free to call for Park Hill Online support at 816-359-4044 during office hours. You will be able to get answers about our learning platforms, online assessments, and finding resources when you need them.
Flu Shot Information
- The Platte County Health Department is offering flu shots for all middle and high school students at Congress Middle School gym from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on October 21. Please fill out this form, attach a copy of your insurance card and return to your child's school nurse by October 7.
- If your child is unable to get their shot on October 21, the Platte County Health Department is offering drive-thru clinics at the Riverside fire department on October 8, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Platte City Middle School on October 12, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- On Tuesday October 6th from 6-8 pm the Park Hill PTA Clothing Center is partnering with Ian’s Rainbow Flu Foundation (www.iansrainbow.org) to provide a flu vaccine clinic. It will be a drive thru clinic that will take place at the south parking lot of Gerner (adjacent to the clothing center). No signups are necessary, it will be first come first served. In addition the clothing center will be opened from 5-8pm that night. Shopping sign-ups are available here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508084fa4a72ba0fa7-ptapark
October Curriculum Connections
Check out the linked Curriculum Connections below to see what Park Hill students are learning! We want to share the learning topics at all of the grade levels so that you can ask your child about their learning this month. Your child's teacher is always happy to provide more details should you have questions!
Have you joined PTA? Join PTA NOW!
2020-2021 PTA Board and Positions
President – Beri Edwards
VP of Communications – Stacy Mudd
VP of Membership – Daryl Terwilleger
VP of Fundraising – Julie Sola
Treasurer – Dan McCabe
Recording Secretary – Jenn Anthony
Family Events Coordinator – Emily Farrow
Staff Appreciation Coordinator – Erin Rau
Classroom Events Coordinator – Jessi Corriston
Teacher Liaison – Sue Ann Andrade
Click to sign-up for a FREE FOOD Voucher. Kits are available for pick-up each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Support Services Center.
Click to see how we have used the 5 Pillars of Prevention to make plans to keep people at Southeast safe.
Do you know a Park Hill Star?
The Park Hill Star recognition program was started in 2015 to celebrate support staff and teachers whose work is especially noteworthy.
The following is an overview of the Park Hill Star Program:
Our employees are the reason we are so successful here in the Park Hill School District, and we would like to recognize them for all they do for our students. That is why we present the Park Hill Star award once a month to a pre-K or elementary teacher, a secondary teacher and a support employee.
You will find several ways to stay up to date on school activities on the Southeast website , Facebook, and newsletters from your child’s teacher. You will also occasionally get an automated email or voicemail message sent to you, by the school, with important information and reminders. We know two-way communication is best, so please feel free to call or email with any questions you may have regarding your child’s education.