Mary Jane Beaufrand
Time and Place?
This the book cover for the book I read.
This is a map of an Italian city, during the set of time of Primavera, which was set during the Italian Renaissance.
Map of Italy
This the map of Italy during the Italian Renaissance.
Personal Rating on the Book?
- Primavera is actually not just the title of the book. The whole book is a reference to the painting La Primavera by Botticelli
- The painter Botticelli is mentioned several times in the book, except they call him Signor Botticelli instead of Sandro Botticelli in the book. Signor is the Italian word for Sir, to show respect.
- The Italian Renaissance is mentioned by referencing Flora's older sister,Domenica who was painted by the famous painter, Botticelli. The Italian Renaissance is hinted because of the amounts of art and architecture shown, and the setting was the year of 1482.
- The Medici family is actually a real family. The Pazzi family, Flora's family, are in a constant race for wealth and power against the Medici family. The Medici family traces back to Italy in the end of the 12th century.
I chose this picture specifically because it resembles the girl on the cover of Primavera.
Medici Family Tree
The Medici family was once a very powerful family that had roots set in Italy that traced back to the 12th century.
This is the original painting by Sandro Botticelli.
Medici Family Tree
Explanation: This quote represents Flora, not only because she said the statement, but it relates to her. Her sister is often viewed as the perfect child, or the diamond in this statement. Flora states how perfection is boring, because in her family's eyes, she is viewed as not good enough and she is always put down by her family, so she thinks a diamond is beautiful with and without flaws because her sister is beautiful without the flaws and she is beautiful as well, with the flaws.
Quote: "All this time I thought I was rescuing myself, but instead I was just being greedy like the rest of my family, like the Medici." (5.52)
Explanation: The quote above shows how the Medici family was very greedy. Yet, it shows how Flora's actions made her feel like the Medici. Flora knew she needed to stop stealing because she began to steal from somebody she cared about, Emilio. She showed her self-worth by giving up her dreams, the reason why she was stealing, and protect her family, because they needed her.
Quote: "She was useless. She would never get away on on her own. I had to help her, though I didn't want to. I wanted her to stay here, crouched in the dark, while I fought in the open next to Captain Umberto. That was the way things were meant to be." (17. 168)
Explanation: This quote shows that Flora was not supposed to be the "helpless" one in situations like fighting and etc. Flora has to stay and protect her weak sister because her family wants her to, so she is torn to go and battle and prove herself to her family or help her sister escape and help her family. Either choice she makes, she affects her family in some way. Flora must chose between herself or her family.
- Mary Jane Beaufrand lives in Seattle, Washington, but she was raised outside of Portland, Oregon.
- She lives there with her two children, her husband, and her pet, a basset hound.
- She has a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from Bennington College.
- She is known for her three most famous books, The River, Primavera, and Dark River.