Monthly Classroom Newsletter from A215
From the Desk of Mrs. Long...
As the last newsletter of 2014, I wish you and your family a very happy holiday season!!
Check out the Class Website for Helpful Information!
How YOU Can Help Spread the Word!
What have we been up to all month?
Places we have visited so far:
- New York
If You'd Like to see Our Digital Stories...
Want to see what students are doing? *NEW* to the classroom is an interactive Instagram account, where students can find pictures of activities, reminders, and notes!
Get up to the minute feedback and information by following the class twitter account. Every day lesson plans and pictures are added to help keep the classroom action going!
Follow inspiration and ideas from our classroom! Student projects and accolades will also be posted.
Preparing For PARCC!
Our Top Common Core Indicators to Focus On!
According to our Global Scholar results, these are the top Indicators we need to "master" or "attain" this school year!
- The learner will identify irrelevant information in a seventh grade fictional passage.
- The learner will identify the literary device being used by the author in a seventh grade fictional passage.
- The learner will evaluate the influence of the author's point of view on a seventh grade fictional passage.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1 The learner will identify the implied cause and effect in a seventh grade fiction passage.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.3 The learner will analyze characters in a short seventh grade fictional passage.
- The learner will interpret information from a graphic organizer at a seventh grade level.
- The learner will choose the correct genre for a seventh grade nonfictional passage.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.7.1 The learner will identify story detail in a seventh grade nonfictional passage.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.7.4/CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.7.4a The learner will understand vocabulary presented in context in a seventh grade nonfictional passage.
- The learner will compare and/or contrast ideas from a graphic organizer at a seventh grade level.
- The learner will select the best title for a seventh grade long passage.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.7.1 The learner will identify a supporting detail from a public document at the seventh grade level.
- The learner will identify irrelevant information in a seventh grade nonfictional passage.
- The learner will identify a supporting sentence in a seventh grade nonfiction passage.
- The learner will identify persuasive techniques used in a consumer material at a seventh grade level.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1 The learner will make generalizations from a public document at the seventh grade level.
- The learner will determine how text features in a consumer material affect the readers' perception at a seventh grade level.
- Vocabulary CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.7.5 The learner will identify the meaning of a seventh grade vocabulary word presented in isolation.
How are we planning to address these challenges? All students are completing "ELT" practice tests that are specifically designed to focus on practicing these standards.
If you'd like more information on the Common Core, you can visit achievethecore.org by clicking here!
Upcoming Due Dates!
Next RAtB Project (HAL/HONORS) Due!
Friday, Jan. 9th 2015 at 3pm
This is an online event.
Things to remember:
- All projects should be typed and shared using GOOGLE DRIVE
- Projects that don't have to be typed include a 3-D diorama and/or a poster.
- No projects should be turned in just pencil or pen, they should professional looking an high quality!
- Students need MLA heading information on all projects.
- Students must complete the RATB form (linked below)