September 19, 2014
The KP Community Art Project Revealed--You do not want to miss it!
We're in the news! King Philip Middle School students create art for Envisionfest Hartford 2014 ---Please go see it!
I want to thank Jackie Mandyck and Sue Gellerman for providing KP with this opportunity and art teacher Megan Cassidy for all of her hard work in coordinating this project with KP Staff and Students.
Monday is the 6th Grade Open House
KP Intramural Program Starts on Monday. At least 10 students are required to run a program.
Please Support our School Fundraiser
- $4,595 - $15 per each 8th grader for the end of year celebration
- $100 - National Geographic competition registration
- $1,000 - Unified Theater
- $100 - UN Club
- $359- 60 wireless mice for Chrome books
- $150- Mock Trial
- $60 KP Universal
- $200 Knitting Club
- $100 International Night
Parents/Guardians/supporters may order with the paper order form or on line, here is the directions on the bottom of their letter to do it online:
www.meadowfarms.com , click register a child
our school id is 1700781
Verify your school name
Enter your student ID, on bottom of paper order form sent home (not the school/state id)
Enter all required info, you will also create your personal password at this time
7th and 8th Grade Feedback Needed
- WHFD PSA CONTESTSThe West Hartford Fire Department and West Hartford Community Television are co-sponsoring a Public Service Announcement (PSA)contest. Each 30 second video submission should deliver the important message of candle safety and fire prevention. All entries must be received by October 1, 2014. Qualified contestants are residents entering grades 6-8 or 9-12. Finalist entries in each grade category will be judged at fire houses October 6th – 10th during Fire Prevention Week and winners will have their videos shown from November 15th through January 15th on channel 5. For rules and entry forms go to our website and for additional information, contact me directly.
- CPSC has just announced a new carbon monoxide poster contest for middle school students. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/CO-Contest-2014/ The contest started on Monday, July 14 and goes through February 2015. Finalists get $500 each and the grand prize winner gets an additional $1,000.
From the Nurses Office
ILL CHILD POLICY
Regular school attendance is necessary for optimal learning. However, a mere presence at school does not ensure effective learning. A child must be feeling well in order to maximize the learning experience. In addition, a child who is sick and comes to school may spread the illness to other students and staff. It is recommended that a child remain home if any of the following conditions are present:
1. Fever: Temperature of 100 degrees or higher. The child can return to school after he/she is fever-free for 24 hours, without fever-reducing medicine such as Tylenol (Acetaminophen) or Motrin (Ibuprofen).
2. Vomiting/diarrhea: A child with vomiting and/or diarrhea should stay home and return to school only after being symptom-free for 24 hours.
3. Antibiotics: If your child has a contagious illness that requires antibiotics, he/she must be on the medication for 24 hours before considered non-contagious and able to return to school.
6th grade Open House 6:30pm
Rosh Hashanah (begins @ sunset)
Rosh Hashanah (schools closed, offices open)
Rosh Hashanah (ends@sunset)
First PTO meeting of the year will be on Monday October 6th at 7:00pm KP Commons
News from the KP PTO
The PTO hopes the entire KP community is off to a great start to the new school year! This is just a reminder to complete the PTO forms in your first day packet and send them into the school as soon as possible. You can be “Guilt Free”, purchase Spirit Wear or purchase Big Y or Stop and Shop Gift cards all to support KP PTO!
Don’t forget to pay your dues! The PTO dues payments need to be submitted by Monday, September 8th. With your dues payment you will receive a KP “Connections” school directory.
Need replacement forms or more information on the PTO?? Just visit the PTO page on the KP website athttp://www.whps.org/page.cfm?p=795
Our first PTO meeting of the year will be on Monday October 6th at 7:00 p.m. in the KP Commons so please mark your calendars and join us.
Two more options to atttend Parent/Guardian Workshop: Successful Students in Middle School How Parents Can Help
West Hartford SEPTO--free workshop for parents and educators
Volunteer Opportunities at KP
Veteran's Day Coordinator(s)
IN THE COMMUNITY
Parent Workshop: On How Stress & Feelings Impact Wellness
The West Hartford Relay is scheduled for Saturday, September 27th!
Registration is open and it is time to start putting teams together. It’s fun for all ages and promotes a healthy lifestyle while raising money for West Hartford Public Schools Health and Physical Education Department!! Grab some friends and sign up for the 3rd Annual West Hartford Relay! This event will include the 20-mile Relay and a Kids’ Relay. The course starts and ends at West Hartford Town Hall on Main Street.
Check out all the details and register online today at www.westhartfordrelay.com
Also check out information on Growing Great Schools (GGS) www.growinggreatschools.org GGS is a community-based effort headquartered in West Hartford, Connecticut with a mission is to create healthier schools by connecting food, culture, health, and the environment. The vision of Growing Great Schools is to empower students to become active participants in their nutritional and physical health, while caring for the planet.