McDaniel Family Newsletter
August 26, 2022
Leodis V. McDaniel High School
A Note from Principal Skyles
Hello McDaniel Community,
Next week we will start the 2022-23 school year. We had a great week of registration and over 900 students took their school photo and received their ID card/Trimet bus pass. Staff have been busy preparing for the students' return and are excited to start the new year. Athletes have been busy trying out as we kick off the Fall sports season next week.
Many times as we get closer to the first days of school we are excited to see old friends and meet new people, talk about what classes and teachers we have. We celebrate when we have a friend in a class or and are a little bummed when we find out that we don’t. We start to stress a little about the thought of having to get up early after a long summer of sleeping in.
As we all are busy preparing for the return to school, we would like to ask that you take a minute as a family and talk about why education is important to you. We will be sharing our “why” and asking students to share their “why” education is important to them. We will also be asking students, staff, and families to talk about why attending class is important.
As you are preparing for the first few days back we have a few tips:
Start Sunday night getting back on a sleep schedule that supports getting up for school.
Talk with your student about the need to put their technology away during class time. We will share information with students and families on Monday around our Tech OK/Tech Away policy.
Talk with your student about their lunch plans, staying on campus or leaving, and having a plan to eat lunch and be on time to class. We all agree that lunch is not long enough, but we have to work with what we have been given.
If you have put in a schedule change request and it has not happened by the first day of school, students need to attend their scheduled classes. Counselors are still working on changes.
If your teacher's name says TBD - we are still in the process of hiring a few staff members and will be sharing more information on Monday with students and their families via email.
We will be sharing information about club start dates and advisors on August 30th.
Please let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to seeing everyone next week!
Principal McDaniel High School
Welcome Back Mountain Lions!
First Day of School:
August 30th for 9th & 12th grade ONLY
All 9th grade students attend school 8:30am - 11:39am / Lunch Available 11:39am-12:14pm
All 12th grade students attend school 12:30pm - 3:30 pm/ Lunch Available 11:39am-12:14pm
August 31st - All Students Attend -- A Full Day Schedule
Registration Makeup Day
August 30th 9:00am - 1:00pm
Student ID Card - REQUIRED FOR ALL STUDENTS
School Photos for Student ID Card and Yearbook
Student ID Number
Free and Reduced Lunch/Breakfast at McDaniel High School
Visit the McDaniel High School website for many resources, including a comprehensive daily calendar of school events, contact information for teachers and administrators, study and test preparation resources, college and career information, and much more.
The Weekly McDaniel Family Newsletter
The McDaniel Family Newsletter will be sent to parents and/or guardians each Friday.
This will include information from our parent groups (Boosters, PTA, Foundation, etc) on how to get involved, volunteer opportunities, fundraising, etc.
Last year we began using the Trivory App (developed by a former PPS student!) as a tool to deliver school news and reminders quickly and easily. Students, parents and any other community members can download the Trivory App on your phone or iPad from your App Store to stay in the loop! It can also be accessed on your computer. We highly encourage all students to use the Trivory app as an easy way to see the day's schedule (A, B, Flex, All 8, etc) and the bell schedule for that day and all the calendar events for the day (see the photo below)
Be sure to go into settings and ensure all notifications are turned on to get the most out of Trivory.
Students and families in Grades 10, 11 and 12 who already have the app, be sure and change your grade level from last year as we send news and reminders to specific grades when applicable.
We have a great attendance system in place at MHS! Please check out our procedures on our webpage. Please use the Absence Reporting Form to report/excuse all absences to our Attendance Clerk (Janna Holm). This data is used to update synergy. Once you fill out this form, you DO NOT need to call or email with the same information. You may use this form for past, current or future, full-day or partial-day absences. Please clear absences within 3 school days. Please note that the parent or guardian must excuse an absence or tardy even if the student is 18 years old.
Student Accounts & Equipment
2022-23 Bell Schedule & Calendar
Weekly Athletic Schedule
Our school nurse is Susan Milholland, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-916-5220, ext 81194
Out of respect for our community, please stay home if you are feeling ill. School excludable symptoms are:
* Fever (100.4 F or above)
* Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
* New loss of taste or smell
* Vomiting (48 hour exclusion)
* Diarrhea (48 hour exclusion)
* Positive COVID-19 test
* If your student has a health condition and/or needs to have medication at school, please click here for more information: Notifying the School Nurse of Your Child’s Chronic Health Condition & Medication at School* Please review the following document that outlines the required immunizations for school attendance by the State of Oregon Immunization Requirements 2021-2022
Stay Involved through ParentVUE
For information about schedules, changing schedules, making appointments with your counselor and much more, please review the Counseling Department Newsletter
Student Last names A-C Tracy Morrison
Student Last Names D-GL & AVID Erin Hale
Student Last Names GO-L Crissy Phommachack
Student Last Names M-RI Neomi Navarro
Student Last Names Ro-Z Brandon Rawls
Newcomer ESL - Brian Meyer
Counseling Secretary, Julie Hunt
College Coordinator, DK Kelly
Career Coordinator Erica Spencer
A Message from the McDaniel PTSA
Introducing the McDaniel Parent Teacher and Student Association (PTSA) 2022-2023 Board Members:
- President: Julie Scott
- Vice-President: OPEN
- Secretary: Krista Wheeler
- Treasurer: Jim Holstein
- Volunteer Coordinator: OPEN
- Membership Coordinator: OPEN
- Fundraising: OPEN
- Web Administrator/Communications: OPEN
- Safety Committee: Heidi Schultz
We are operating with the minimum amount of board members and need amazing humans to fill the following positions so that we can serve our students, teachers and communities more effectively:
- Vice President - If you have a desire to fill the President role in the 2023-2024 school year this is a great way to learn the role. Time commitment 30-60 minutes per week (more if you want, there's a LOT of potential with this role)
- Volunteer Coordinator - This is for you if you like a good list. This is a role for the organized and motivated. Time Commitment 30-60 minutes per week.
- Membership Coordinator - Great opportunity if you like to grow things and want minimal involvement, but still be involved . Time commitment 30-60 minutes at beginning of school year, and then much less.
- Web Administrator/Communications Coordinator - This is for you if you love to get the word out and want everyone to know all the things
- Fundraising coordinator - Great if you love to raise money and then give it away to worthy causes and programs boosting the McDaniel community. This is a role for the energized and big hearted . Time Commitment 30-60 minutes per week.
These positions are open to all parents and students, this is a great opportunity for students to gain work experience and receive a recommendation or reference for resumes. Contact PTSA (email@example.com) for more info.