School Community Newsletter ~ 12/2/21
Hello, Parents and Guardians,
December is upon us and TMS is embracing the spirit of spreading holiday cheer! We are harnessing the power of connecting with one another and unifying to #BE THE GOOD! Once again, we have so much to be grateful for. Community service of helping others and recognizing the importance of giving to others in need are key concepts for middle schoolers to understand and champion. Here are highlights on how the TMS Student Council leads our Wolf Pack in the process of making a positive difference inside and outside of TMS:
- Food Drive for Wheeling Township Food Pantry - In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, the members of the TMS Student Council collaborated and coordinated a school-wide food drive that truly demonstrated how TMS students strive to BE THE GOOD! Our students and families made tremendously generous donations!
- Adopt-A-Family - Especially during the holiday season, TMS Student Council takes the concept of helping others to heart and rigorously works to support our Adopt-A-Family efforts. Not only do they raise funds, but members of our Student Council go out shopping, and then they wrap all gifts for the families we adopt. It's absolutely heartwarming to see this in action.
- Student Council Gratitude - Many thanks to everyone who has taken part in this process of spreading holiday cheer including our fearless Student Council Leaders ~ Mrs. Fahnoe and Ms. O'Neil.
WE ARE SO PROUD of our Wolf Pack for the compassion and kindness demonstrated towards others. We also wish to recognize the many talents our students display musically, on the court, and in our classrooms:
- Congratulations to the November T-Wolves of the Month!
- Special recognition to the 7th and 8th grade Girls Basketball Teams for winning their way into the IESA regionals! Both teams had outstanding seasons! TMS girls basketball has built a dynasty of success under the skillful coaching of Mrs. Hepner (Nisbet) and Mrs. Christiansen.
- A round of applause goes to the TMS Wind Ensemble who had a scary awesome performance alongside the Olive 5th Grade Beginner Band last night. This was made possible by the dedication of our student musicians and the masterful guidance of our band teachers ~ Miss Horton, Ms. Pucci, and Mr. Berry.
In this newsletter you'll find highlights on the following items:
Last Call for Yearbook Purchases
#bethegood TMS Wristbands $2
Request for School Supplies
Shield Testing Forms
eLearning Information for TMS
Winter MAP Testing Schedule 12/6 & 12/7 *Please note the modified daily schedule that has 5th period following 8th period.
Free Breakfast for All Students
Design Contest for the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge submissions due 12/3/21
Useful Parent Resources - These resources are designed to help families build on areas of knowledge pertaining to mental health, social-emotional learning, academics, technology assistance, resources, and self-care.
Link to the Webinar recording of the Parent Presentation on Understanding and Responding to Stress and Anxiety, How to Support Your Child by Jackie Rhew.
(THIS IS A MUST-VIEW!) Link to the Glenbard Parent Series November presentation "What Do You Say? How to Talk with Kids to Build Motivation, Stress Tolerance and a Happy Home" by William Stixrud, PhD and Ned Johnson.
D25 partners with The Link Together Coalition which is a co-sponsor to webinars through the Glenbard Parent Series: www.glenbardgps.org. Check out the list of upcoming presentations.
Thank you and take care,
Lori, Greg, & Nick
Student Council Holiday Adopt-a-Family Efforts
Student Council opted to NOT collect money in homeroom this year...these wristband sales are our final push for fundraising for our Adopt-a-Family efforts.
If able to encourage your students to think about a purchase, that would be great. We are selling during lunch periods. 100% of the proceeds go into helping families in need.
If any of you would like to buy a wristband, feel free to avoid lunch madness and stop by the LMC anytime to purchase.
Shield Testing Information
As a reminder, throughout the school year, you can always enroll your child in or unenroll your child from the SHIELD testing process. Please click the links below and fill out the Shield form if you would like to enroll or unenroll your child.
At TMS, Shield Testing is conducted on Monday afternoons. TMS students enrolled in Shield Testing are responsible for going to the LMC during their homeroom's assigned time. A reminder for the testing schedule is posted in the Morning Announcements on Mondays.
eLearning Information for TMS
- Students will be able to log into eLearning from any device as long as they use their first and last name.
Students will find “eLearning” folders on each of their teacher's Schoology pages.
Inside the “eLearning” folder will be the “eLearning Zoom Link” for that class period.
Extra Help Is Available
Please encourage your child to attend Office Hours/11th Hour/Homework Club and to reach out to teachers if they need help or just want a place to work on their academics after school. This support is FREE and can be extremely helpful.
EXTRA MASKS NEEDED PLEASE!!
- MASK SUPPLIES: Please make sure your child brings 2-3 masks to school each day in the event that a replacement mask is needed. While we have extra masks on hand, it's helpful for the students to have backups.
- MASK WEARING: Please speak with your child about proper mask-wearing that includes covering the nose.
- MASK BREAKS: These are provided as needed for students throughout the school day.
TMS PTA - Meeting 1/12/22 @ 7 PM Join us In-Person or Via Zoom!
All parents, guardians, and staff are welcome to be members of the PTA. As a member of the PTA, you are welcome to attend the monthly meetings, share suggestions, discuss events, and volunteer your time.
The Parent-Teacher-Association meets monthly on the following dates:
Wednesday, 1/12/22 - 7 PM PLEASE CLICK HERE TO RSVP!
Tuesday, 2/15/22 - 7 PM, March - TBD, Tuesday, 4/12/22, May - TBD
2021-2022 PTA Officers:
President: Amy Hoffman
President-Elect: Suzanne Krause
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Kelly Spokas
Secretary: Deborah Oiler
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE... 4/30/22 - 10th ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge!
Mark your calendars for April 30, 2022 for the 10th ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge! We are looking forward to having our district students, families and staff together again for our 5K and 1 Mile events! The ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge is the only district wide event and raises money to provide grants to teachers and staff through the ABC/25 Foundation. Please follow ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on Facebook or Twitter for all race information or visit us at abcchallenge.org. We hope to see everyone there!
Design Contest for the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge
It's time to let your imagination run (pun intended) wild! All D25 students have the opportunity to submit a design for the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge official race shirt and posters! These shirts will be worn by close to 1000 participants at the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on April 30, 2022. The design winner also gets to help select the color of the shirt! Official rules and regulations and t-shirt design forms can be found at abc25challenge.org/tshirt. Submissions are due back to your school office by December 3, 2021. Please follow ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on Facebook or Twitter for all race information or visit us at abc25challenge.org. We hope to see everyone there!
Join the ABC/25 Foundation
Please consider joining the ABC/25 Foundation.
The link to join is: JOIN ABC/25.
The cost is $25 for staff members and $40 for families to join.
The ABC/25 Foundation provides powerful grants that schools can earn which can benefit all students.
If you have questions, please contact:
ABC/25 Foundation President
GENERAL D25 BUS INFORMATION
If your child is a bus rider, the bus information and bus passes are sent to you by Laura Comastro from our transportation department.
Her contact information is:(847) 758-4888 or email@example.com
Please direct all transportation and bussing questions to Laura Comastro.
NOTE: Students are now required to show their bus pass each day.
Click here for details on the SD25 2021-2022 COVID-19 PROTOCOLS & GUIDELINES