NUAMES Davis Counseling Center News
IN THIS ISSUE:
Junior ACT Testing March 9th
- JUNIORS report to school by 7:45 AM at the latest
- Students are assigned to a specific testing room
- May NOT have any electronics, cell phones, smart watches, etc.
- School will provide a snack
- Students may bring snack in a clear bag with the student's name
- Students may NOT use their phone or get into their backpack until the complete test has concluded
- Testing typically ends by 12:30 (later if student has testing accommodations)
- Parents can call the Main Office if there is an emergency that requires contacting a student
What to Bring
- Student ID or Driver's License
- (2) #2 Pencils
- ACT Approved Calculator: LINK TO LIST
- Snacks will be provided during break, but you can bring your own in a CLEAR ziploc bag with your name on it, sitting outside your backpack
What NOT to Bring
- Cellphones, smart watches, or electronic devices of any kind
- Backpacks - You may bring one, but you will not be allowed to get into your backpack at any time during the test. You can turn your phone OFF and store it inside your backpack, but can't use it until the test is completely done
Room Assignments announced soon...WATCH FOR INFO
Sophomore Conference March 16th
- All 10th graders will be bused to the Weber State campus in Ogden
- Students can choose 3 colleges within Weber State to learn about majors/programs
- Students should use their Career Liftoff results to choose the college breakout sessions
- Weber State will provide lunch
- Students will leave Davis campus at 9:00 AM and return by 1:30 PM
PARENTS/GUARDIANS, please complete the ELECTRONIC Permission SLIP
- Please complete this electronic permission slip at this link for your student to attend: https://forms.gle/8UcLPnGPwr6RZfFL7
- DUE by Friday, March 10
NUAMES FlyBy- FUTURE Students Mar 23
Weber State Davis Campus, D3 Stewart Center 3:30-6:30 PM
Are you NEW TO NUAMES NEXT FALL? Join us at the FlyBy!
Here are some things Parents/Students can do during the FlyBy:
- Meet NUAMES teachers
- Tour campus
- Meet other incoming students
- Find out more about classes
- Learn about Clubs you can join
- Counselors will be available to answer questions
- Mrs Winter, Student Services Director, will be available to answer questions regarding IEP's, 504 plans, and other special circumstances
FAQ: What does my student need to do to earn their Associate's Degree?
- First rule here is don't stress! There is not a whole lot you need to worry about for 10th grade
- Weber State has only a few Concurrent Enrollment (CE) classes available to Sophomores
- We suggest your student chooses a couple of these CE classes for 10th grade, then much more will be available starting in 11th grade
- You will learn more about Associate's degree requirements and the Early College program during your 10th grade year
- Weber State will host Early College Information Sessions in October
Course Requests for NEXT School Year
Email Will Come When It's Time!
- Principals will be sending out information soon to choose next year's classes!
- HIGHLY RECOMMEND printing out a Course Request Worksheet before you start
- Use Course Descriptions to find out more specifics about individual classes
- Reference your PTG and Early College advising worksheet to know what you NEED to request
Once Email Is Sent, You're Ready to Enter into MyDSD!
- STUDENT logs into myDSD (NOTE: this can NOT be done from the parent myDSD account)
- Click on the ACADEMICS Tab
- Go to COURSE REQUESTS on the menu
- Select 8 courses for Column 1, Column 2, and 2 Alternatives.
- Click on +Add Courses, select Category, select Course, select Column, click Add Course button.
- Continue this process until all 8 courses have been added to Column 1, Column 2, and 2 Alternatives.
Over the Summer, Computer Uses Course Requests to Build Schedule!
- Schedules will be released some time in August using the information you requested
- You can always change it in myDSD until it's closed
- After myDSD Course Requests are closed, talk to your assigned Counselor for help to change requests
Citizenship Make Up (To Clear U's Received)
Alternative Ways to Make Up Citizenship (U's)
How To Combat Spring Fever
- Get some FRESH AIR & SUNSHINE! Talk a walk around the block, go to the park with friends for a picnic, play sports, ride your bike. The more sunshine and exercise you can get, the better you will feel!
- Mix up your routine! Change your routine for a change of pace. Instead of doing homework when you first get home, maybe spend some time outside first. Exercise in the morning instead of at night.
- Get plenty of SLEEP! Make sure you're sleeping the right amount of hours. Teenagers need 9-10 hours of sleep. Also try to sleep at the same times every day, rather than a long sleep on the weekend and no sleep during school week.
- Set new GOALS! Maybe learn something new or set a goal related to school.
- DECLUTTER work/study spaces! It's time to spring clean and get your room and study area organized.
(from Prevention Action Alliance, https://preventionactionalliance.org/about/programs/know/know-parent-tips/know-how-to-combat-spring-fever/)
- March 1: Girls State Applications Due
- March 3: Capstone Mentoring Day (12:00-12:30/Bell Schedule Adjusted)
- March 6-10: WSU Spring Break (must still attend NUAMES classes)
- March 9: ACT Testing for Juniors (Sophomores and Seniors don't attend school)
- March 10: Girls State Interviews
- March 10: Utah Online School Session 3 Ends
- March 12: Daylight Savings Time Starts ("Spring Forward")
- March 13: Keys to Success Releases Assembly Video for Car Drawing
- March 14: Davis Tech Open House 4:00-7:00 PM
- March 16: Sophomore Conference at WSU Ogden Campus
- March 16: Term 3 Ends
- March 17: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- March 20: Utah Online School Session 4 Starts
- March 23: NUAMES FlyBy at Davis Campus 3:30-6:30
- March 28: WSU Withdrawal Deadline
- March 29: Davis Tech Parent and Student Education Night 5:30-6:30 D3 Ballroom
- March 29: Nighthawks Scholar Luncheon (invitation only)
- March 30: HAFB WiSE Women Seminar 3:15-4:15
- March 31: WSU Design & Build Day Internships & Career Fair 8:00-2:00 https://www.weber.edu/buildingdesign/buildday/default.html
- April 3-7: NUAMES Spring Break (must still attend WSU classes)
Parent / Student Resources
NUAMES Counseling Team