November 2, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- 6 - General Election Day - schools & offices closed
- 7 - Professional Work Day - schools closed for students
- 8 - PTA Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- 12-16 - American Education Week
- K: Wednesday, November 14 @ 11:30-12:00 Thanksgiving songs & crafts
- 1: Thursday, November 15 @ 10:00-11:00 STEM Activity
- 2: Wednesday, November 14 @ 9:00-10:00 STEM Activity
- 3: Friday, November 16 @ 2:00-3:00 Content Activity
- 4: Tuesday, November 13 @ 10:00-11:00 Science Activity
- 5: Thursday, November 15 @ 12:00-1:00 Wax Museum Presentations
- 14 - Picture Retake Day
- 14 - Qtr. 1 Report Cards Issued
- 16 - Geography Bee
- 16 - Kindness Counts Day
- 16 - Community Night - Thanksgiving Baskets, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- 19 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - schools dismiss 3 hours early (12:10 p.m.)
- 19 - Jump Rope for Heart
- 20 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - schools dismiss 3 hours early (12:10 p.m.)
- 21 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - schools closed for students
- 22 - Thanksgiving Holiday - schools & offices closed
- 23 - Thanksgiving Holiday - schools & offices closed
- 26 - Geography Bee (inclement weather day)
- 30 - PTA Movie Night
November 26th - December 6th - Book Fair
- 5 - Winter Concert (Strings), 7:00 p.m.
- 6 - Kindergarten Visits the Glenwood Library, 9:30 a.m.
- 12 - Winter Concert (Band, Chorus & Handbells), 7:00 p.m.
- 13 - PTA Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- 14 - School Spirit Day - Wacky Tacky Day
- 14 - Kindergarten - Candy Houses, 9:30 a.m.
- 19 - 3rd Grade Visits the Science Center, 9:00 a.m.
- 19 - 2nd Grade Visits the Maryland Historical Society, 9:00 a.m.
- 20 - 5th Grade - Candy Houses, 10:00 a.m.
December 24 - January 1st - Winter Break
- 2 - Schools reopen
From the Desk of the Principal
Veterans Day Celebration
Annual Salute to Veterans!
Our annual Salute to Veterans event will take place Friday, November 9th beginning with an assembly in their honor at 9:00 am in the Cafeteria followed by a breakfast in the Media Center. This is our school's way of honoring the Maryland Patriot Guard and the other brave veterans in our community. There will be honored guests in attendance from the MD Patriot Guard and our school community. We would like to honor any of our families with members currently serving or who have previously served in the armed forces.
If you will be participating in our school Veterans Day celebration, please complete the survey below and click the SUBMIT button when finished.
Veterans Day Form
School Closed on Tuesday and Wednesday- School will be closed on Tuesday November 6, 2018 for Election Day and again on Wednesday November 7, 2018 for staff to participate in end of quarter activities as well as in recognition of Diwali- the Hindu Festival of Lights.
The first quarter will end on Monday November 5th.
LES School Improvement Plan
Did you know that we have a school improvement plan at Lisbon? Continuous school improvement is essential to creating an effective educational learning environment for our students. Each year, various forms of data are used to create, monitor, and evaluate our school improvement plan. Additionally, target areas are established to provide benchmarks for student achievement and growth. Our plan also outlines action steps we use to accomplish our goals for the year. Here at Lisbon, we are always striving to improve our learning environment. We regularly meet to ensure that our staff and community are aware of our learning and behavioral goals that we have developed. In addition to our school improvement plan, PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) strategies are used to improve the educational setting and environment so children can learn in a positive environment. A copy of our School Improvement Plan Snapshot is available here.
Social Emotional Learning
One of our primary goals each day is to enhance the sense of community among the students and teacher in each class. Morning Meeting is an engaging way to start each day, build a strong sense of community, and set children up for success socially and academically. Each morning, students and teachers gather together in a circle for about 10 minutes with one another during four purposeful components:
- Greeting: Students and teachers greet one other by name.
- Sharing: Students share information about important events in their lives. Listeners often offer empathetic comments or ask clarifying questions.
- Group Activity: Everyone participates in a brief, lively activity that fosters group cohesion and helps students practice social and academic skills (for example, reciting a poem, dancing, singing, or playing a game).
We are excited to bring the Morning Meeting to our classrooms! Talk with your child/children to learn about how these meetings are impacting their school experience!
Help Wanted: The Book Fair is Almost Here!
Please email Mrs. Hastings at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help, or sign up online through are Sign Up Genius link: https://tinyuri.com/ycnr8n3r
Thank you for your help!
Young Authors' Contest
Join in the Lisbon Elementary 16th Annual Young Authors’ Contest! Maryland students in grades 2 through 5 are eligible to enter an original short story and/or poem. First place and Honorable Mention winners will be selected for each grade, and our 1st place winners will go on to be judged at the county and possibly the state level. Each entry may have only one author. A cover sheet, signed by a parent and teacher, is needed for each entry. Both the entry and cover sheet should be saved as a Word document, typed in either Times Roman or Comic Sans 12- point font. Please include your name on the cover sheet not the entry. More information and necessary paperwork can be found here.
Submit a printed copy of the cover sheet and the entry to Mrs. Olson by December 14, 2018.
MD Patriot Guard - Wares for Warriors
MD Patriot Guard is a 501c3, all volunteer organization supporting our active duty and
veteran military service members
WE ARE COLLECTING ITEMS FOR THE WASHINGTON, D.C. VETERANS COMMUNITY RESOURCE AND REFERRAL CENTER (CRRC). MANY OF THOSE WE HELP AT THE CRRC ARE HOMELESS OR FORMERLY HOMELESS VETERANS
Please note that all items must be NEW
Personal items (clothing for men & women):
- Full size 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, soap, body lotion, deodorant
- Feminine products
- New Underwear, socks, undershirts -- Sizes M, L, XL, 2XL
- Sweat pants, sweat shirts/hoodies – M, L, XL, 2XL
- Winter hats/gloves/scarves
- Winter coats – L, XL, 2XL
- There is a BIG need for lady’s clothes at the CRRC. Many people don’t realize that there are women veterans that may need a hand too.
- Chap Stick
Cleaning, home goods, paper products:
- Laundry detergent PODS, dryer sheets
- Trash bags, sandwich bags, paper plates/bowls (not Styrofoam), disposable plastic utensils
- Quilts/blankets/sleeping bags (NEW)
- Single serve microwave meals (Mac & cheese, soups, beef stew, chili, etc.), snacks-microwave popcorn, peanut butter crackers, granola bars, Nutri Grain bars, fruit snacks, etc. (Canned items preferably w/ a pull top open lid rather than one needing a can opener)
- Juice (small size juice – Juice Boxes, healthy type juices for kids, etc), bottled water
- Non-perishable canned fruits, vegetables, soups, pasta, pasta sauce, tuna, instant oatmeal, etc. Ramen cup of soup/noodles in the bowl type package (all in one, easy to microwave). (Canned items preferably w/ a pull top open lid rather than one needing a can opener)
All items can be dropped in the front office of Lisbon ES!!
Don't Delay, Join Your PTA!
The 2018-19 membership rates are $20 for a family and $15 for an individual.
Consider all the programs your PTA brings to the school -- Cultural Arts assemblies, after school classes, field trip support, the Science Fair, Talent Show, Fall Festival, etc., etc., etc., and support your PTA!
From the PTA
Mark Your Calendars!
Mark your calendars for the following upcoming PTA events:
11/8 – PTA Meeting
11/16 – Community Night – Thanksgiving Baskets
11/30 – Movie Night
Community Night – November 16th, 6-8 p.m.
Lisbon Elementary PTA is committed to giving back to our local families. Many community businesses have offered to help with our upcoming food drive and community night event by collecting food and donating money to purchase the turkeys. Thank you for helping with our goal of helping others in our community. Together we can give 75 local families a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Food can be dropped off at the following locations by November 15th:
· Food Lion in Lisbon – collecting food and turkeys (please take items to the service desk)
· Med One Pharmacy at the Lisbon Shopping Center – collecting food (no turkeys)
· Carroll Fuels (Old Citgo) in Lisbon & The Grill Lisbon – collecting food and turkeys (please give to an employee)
· Lisbon Elementary – food can be dropped off or shipped to the school during school hours only (no turkeys)
· 4 County Lions Club of Mount Airy – collecting food (no turkeys)
School Supply Donations
Our friends at Phelps Luck Elementary need our help! PLES is in need of: boxes of tissues, primary writing journals (journals with primary, dotted, handwriting lines and picture space), and poly expanding files (plastic expandable files with a rubber band closure and file divider pockets inside, for 8.5x11 letter size papers). Simply send your items to LES with your child or place them in the collection bin in front of the school office. Thank you SO much for your donation and ROARsome support of our HCPSS family!
Love for Cooper
Are you looking to support the Trueblood family? With frequent trips to and from the hospital, the family could use our support for things like gas, meals away from home, and specific items for Cooper. Gift cards are ideal (Visa and Amazon are two good general ones.), and these are being collected in the front office. You can drop them off or send them to school in an envelope marked “Cooper Trueblood.” Your thoughts and prayers are great gifts, too!
Where to Find Us
Please follow us on Facebook! Visit www.facebook.com/LisbonESPTA or search for “Lisbon Elementary School PTA.” And if you haven’t checked out the Lisbon ES PTA website, please do! At www.lisbonpta.org you’ll find a calendar of events, parent resources, forms, open volunteer positions and more! We would love to have your feedback on programming for the year, too. You’ll find a survey link on the home page.
Community News and Programs
The link below will take you to community notices are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Howard County Public School System.