"A Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem"
- For every 1 suicide committed, there are 25 attempts
- There is one death by suicide in the US every 12.3 minutes
- There is one death by suicide in the world every 40 seconds.
- Men are 4x more likely to succeed with suicide, but women attempt 3x more often
Signs to Watch For
- depressed mood
- out of the ordinary behavior
- risky behavior
- substance abuse
- no longer interesting in things they once enjoyed
- visiting people to say goodbye or tying up loose ends
- going from depressed to very calm
There's a few things that you can do when having trouble coping with these strong emotions. You can start by remembering that people do get through this. If you wait just a day or even just a few hours you might just have a change of heart. Don't keep these feelings to yourself. Talk to someone. It doesn't matter who really. Just talk to someone whether it be a friend, a family member, a school counselor, a favorite teacher, or a random stranger.
There are support groups, mental health professionals, and different types of therapies. There is Psychotherapy(talk therapy) and also cognitive behavioral therapy. There's often school intervention programs as well.