Global Studies Academy Newsletter
Back to School Edition
This month's newsletter will provide an overview of Academy, District, an Campus events. Please read through it completely and keep it handy for reference. You will find all time sensitive information either emailed from Mrs. Chadwick, posted on Schoology, and sent through Skyward. The website will be updated often and you will receive monthly newsletters. Below you will find some very helpful information about the Academy, your campus bell schedule, campus information, upcoming enrichment opportunities, and other opportunities.
Parents who want to be involved at school! Please complete the FBISD Criminal History Application in order to volunteer at events and on field trips. Studies show that parent involvement is a key to student success. Not to mention it contributes the the family feeling that is the Global Studies Academy. We love having parents there to share in making memories with not only your student but all others as well. We have some great opportunities coming up with the Lock-In in October. Make sure to always report any volunteering hours outside of the school day to the Booster club on a monthly basis. The hours are submitted to the district and logged. The submission form is located in the newsletter. Make sure to attend our Parent Meeting on August 22nd at the THS auditorium to learn about more ways to get involved! If you have not renewed your membership with our Booster Club, you can do so on-line. Our Booster Club is a key component of our success. It is essential that each of our families join every year!
The first day of school is over and done with and we all survived. At this point, schedules will only be changed for errors. Students, please follow proper campus procedure for changing your schedule. Please alert me via email to any of the following schedule issues:
- You are not in your Academy co-hort class(es)
- You are not in the proper FL class for consecutive progression
Please take the time to read through the newsletter for more information. Never hesitate to contact me with concerns and/or questions. Let's have a great year and there are just a few more notes/updates/reminders below
Reminders about Academy Requirements:
- You must be enrolled in the proper progression/sequence of Academy courses at all times.
- Reminder to ALL STUDENTS: You must maintain a minimum of 75 in your Academy class(es) and 70 in all other classes. Your end-of-year average must also be high enough to award full credit. Failure to maintain grade standards for two consecutive semesters or failure to earn credit will result in removal.
- You must complete a minimum of four pre-approved enrichment/cultural activities/events each academic year. (this breaks down to a minimum of 1 event each 9 weeks= 2 events each semester to avoid probation/removal--two consecutive semesters result in removal). A list of events can be found here on the academy calendar. This list is a living document and will be updated throughout the year. Students can submit events for approval by following the outside event approval process. Verification and tracking of campus events will be through EventBrite. Verification of off campus events will be through a selfie and 250 word reflection uploaded to Schoology.
- Students must complete a minimum of 25 service hours each academic year until they reach a total of 100 hours. Checks will be completed at each 9 weeks with formal notices (probation/removal) done at the semesters (two consecutive semesters below standard result in removal).Students must follow all Academy Volunteer guidelines. Service forms and submission forms can be found on the Forms & Links page. Volunteer opportunities can be found individually, and/or are posted on our Volunteer Page and our Academy Calendar.
- If you do not receive emails about specific events, please complete this contact form.
Freshman Qualifies as a Finalist for the Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge
Mandatory Parent Meeting
Wednesday, Aug. 22nd, 6:30pm
11111 Harlem Road
Enrichment Opportunity: Advice & Dissent: Why America Suffers When Economics and Politics Collide
Wednesday, Aug. 29th, 6pm
Baker III Hall, Rice University
You will need a selfie and a 250 word reflection uploaded to Schoology for the enrichment credit.
Outside Enrichment Event Opportunity: The Official Nigerian Day in Houston Festival
Sunday, Sep. 30th, 12pm
11939 Bissonnet Street
You will need a selfie and a 250 world reflection upload to Schoology for the enrichment credit.
School Fundraising Made Easy
Kroger: Link your Kroger Plus Card to the Global Studies Academy Booster Club. Every time you shop at Kroger we will earn rewards. Visit their website to get started. You will need our NPO: 94085.
Randalls: Link your Randall Remarkable Card to the Global Studies Academy Booster Club. Every time you shop at Randall's we will earn rewards. Visit their website to get started. You will need our charity Number: 13483.
Amazon: Do you shop on Amazon? Then link your account to the Global Studies Academy Booster Club of Sugar Land, TX. Visit Amazon Smile and select our organization. Amazon will then give back 0.5% of all purchases to the Booster Club!
Corporate Matching: Many employers match gifts or give monetary donations to non-profits with which you volunteer. Click the link to see a partial list in Texas. Check with your employer for more information on how to give to the Global Studies Academy Booster Club. (Contact GSABC Treasurer Teresa Lui firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the info necessary to give t