Two for One Special!
Best Practices of Reading and Physical Education
Qualities of Best Practice in Teaching Reading
- Focus On Meaning
- Read Aloud
- Get Kids To Read
- Surround Readers Opportunities For Success
- Teach Phonics
- Provide Access To Wide Variety of Print
- Give Kids Choices
- Balance Tough Reads With Easy Reads
- Read and Think
- Model Reading
- Share Cognitive Strategies
- Support Readers at All Times
- Help Children Use Reading as Tool For Learning
- Let Kids Talk About Reading Daily
- Provide Writing To Enhance Reading
- Match Reading Assessments To Classroom Practice
WHAT MAKES TEXTS MORE ACCESSIBLE FOR CHILDREN?
- Text is Shorter
- Reader Has Chosen Text, Rather Than It Being Assigned
- Reader Has Good Background Knowledge
- Text Has Familiar Settings and Cultural Values
- Topic Has Personal Interest or Importance
- Text Evokes Curiosity or Surprise
- Text Explains Itself
- Text Makes Good Use of Pictures, Charts, and Other Visual Aids
- Teacher Teaches Specific Strategies to Help Reader
- Readers Can Mark, Write, or Draw on Text as They Read
- Readers Can Talk About Text During and After Reading
- Readers Can Hear Text Aloud By Teacher or Small Group
National Association for Sport and Physical Education defines a physically educated person as someone who:
1. Demonstrates competency, motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
2. Shows understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics that apply to physical activities.
3. Participates regularly in physical activity.
4. Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
5. Exhibits responsible and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity setting.
6. Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and or social interaction.
TEACHING FOR SUCCESS IN P.E.
- Safe, Diverse and Inclusive Learning Environment
- Appropriate Instructional Strategies That Maximize Participation
- Curriculum Covers Motor Skill Development and Learning Along With Self Responsibility and Social Skills
- Variety of Assessment Forms
- Overall Professionalism