Food is an essential element which without human beings cannot survive. The right to meals and nourishment is a vital right for all human beings. Hunger kills 13,000 children a day.
Negative Effects of Child Hunger
- A child who doesn’t have enough to eat isn’t going to do as well in school.
A child is likely to get sick more often.
A child is less likely to graduate from high school and go on to college, which will have a negative impact on her economic future.
- In the future, the child is much less likely to be able to earn enough to feed its family.
Lack of food leaves countries with difficulty
- In Pakistan, about one-third of the population's children were being born underweight.
- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that nearly 870 million people of the 7.1 billion people in the world, or one in eight, were suffering from chronic lack of food or poor food in 2010-2012.
- The number of hungry grew in Africa from 2010-2012, from 175 million to 239 million, with nearly 20 million added in the last few years. Nearly one in four are hungry. And in sub-Saharan Africa, the modest progress achieved in recent years up to 2007 was reversed, with hunger rising 2 percent per year since then.
- Developed regions also saw the number of hungry rise, from 13 million in 2004-2006 to 16 million in 2010-2012
- Children are the most visible victims of under nutrition. Countries are no left with a decreasing population of children, resutlting in a less productive future for the country.
- Malnutrition can also lead to other death related diseases that are difficult to cure. The estimated proportions of deaths in which under nutrition is an underlying cause are roughly similar for diarrhea (61%), malaria (57%), pneumonia (52%), and measles (45%) (Black 2003, Bryce 2005).
Clinton on famine aid
Dead livestock, withered crops, and hunger from a drought overtake the people of Somalia. Hillary Clinton describes a repeated cycle of hunger and death. “Right now when the effects of food security are the most extreme, we must rededicate ourselves to breaking this cycle.” She asks that those who are more fortunate than others help our world end this repeating epidemic that ruins the opportunities and futures of many.
Hunger prevents kids from reaching their full potential. It’s an epidemic that’s threatening America’s future. Think about it next time you don't feel like eating dinner or throw out your leftovers.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Action against Hunger
Find out information about what they do, who they help and why they help. They include facts about evaluating nutritional needs, treating acute malnutrition, preventing acute malnutrition, and building up resources.
Sponsor a Child
Fight more than hunger
when you sponsor a child.
As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, the food bank network members supply food to many Americans, which include a large amount of children. Every dollar you donate helps provide 8 meals to families struggling with hunger.