Introduction to France
-Generally speaking, the people 'who know little speak a lot and the people' who know little speak a lot. (Rousseau, philosopher.)- France's nickname: " The Hexagon" ( six-sided country )
- Lille is another important city that has textile factories, chemical plant and steel mills.
- Bordeaux has a reputation for producing the best wines
- Steel mills , textile factories and chemical plants in and around Lille have provided jobs.
- Marseille is the best busies seaport in France and the second most active in all of Western Europe.
- Rhine Valley provinces with rich natural resources , have changed hands many time during conflict between France and Germany.
- France was known as Gaul when the Romans conquered it in the first century B.C. Because they more than five hundred years, the area prospered under the Romans.
- Charlemagne became a king of Franks in A.D. 768.
-Holy Roman Empire that included much of Western Europe.
- German armies have swept across the flat northeastern plains and overrun northern France.
- U.S. help them out.
Language and Culture.
Language of France.
- Dialects : variations of languages that are unique to a region or community.
- New French words are published in official dictionaries only if they are approved by the French academy.
This is a symbol of French cultural pride.
- Create clothes that influence fashion all over the world.
- Paris is the city cultural center of France.
- France's opposition to military action against Iraq in 2003 strained its alliance with the U.S.