Sports Drink Taste Test

By: Kaitlyn Schauske

Our Challenge

My groups challenge was to conduct a scientific experiment by designing and conducting an experiment. We had to collect, record, analyze, and present our data. When all of that was done our job was to write a letter to the company explaining our findings, using numbers, letters, and pictures.

Our Research

Although it was a long and boring process we got through it with a lot of interesting facts. Gatorade was stated in 1965 by a bunch of researches in Florida that had a mission. They had to figure out why the University of Florida's foot ball players were having so much of heat related injuries. The researches knew that they players were losing precious electrolytes. They made a drink that had the perfect balance of carbohydrates and electrolytes. That is where the whole company began. Although G2 didn't start until 2007 with only 4 flavors. The regular Gatorade started with only one flavor, lemon-lime.

My groups had some ups and downs about doing the sports drinks. The group was practically split in half. Two of us wanted to do sports drinks and the other half wanted to do grapes. In the end the sports drink side prevailed and the grapes died. We decided a flavor after that. We planned on getting an Orange G2 Gatorade and Regular Orange Thirst Quencher Gatorade and our question that we came up with was "Does having less calories inflict the flavor?"



My Hypothesis

I thought that my hypothesis should be believe able. Since I've tried both of the kinds of Gatorade I decided to base it off of that. This is what my hypothesis looked like "If 7th grade students are given a triangular taste test, then more than 30% will be able to tell the difference." I thought that because the G2 Gatorade has less than twice the regular Gatorade calories.

The Experiment

At the beginning we had some problems. I got really confused with the randomizer because I did the first few backwards but after that my friend took over and did an amazing job. We also had a problem during the middle of it. We all realized that there was a slight color difference. The G2 Gatorade was a little lighter than the regular Gatorade. Also, our taste tester's also saw the difference so they already knew which one would taste different. Although my group had some ups and downs during our experiment we got through with 30 taste testers. We needed a lot of stuff like, 3 trays, a piece of paper, (to write down your observations) 300 cups(we only used about 75), an I Pad, regular Gatorade, G2 Gatorade and 2 dividers.

The steps:

1.) Collect materials. (3 trays, 300 cups, I Pad, sheet of paper, regular Gatorade, and G2 Gatorade)

2.) Fill 200 cups half way with regular Gatorade and the other 100 with G2 Gatorade. (Save extra)

3.) Place cups on trays according to the randomizer.

4.) Have the taste tester taste all three of the drinks. Making sure they tell you which one tasted different.

5.) Have the taste tester record what they say on the I Pad google form and have your recorder of the randomizer write it down.

6.) Repeat steps 3-5 for every taste tester.



Conclusion

My hypothesis does not reject because I said that more than 30% of the seventh graders would be able to tell the difference. 80% of them were able to while the other 20% couldn't.