Next Step in Guided Reading
Elementary Small-Group Reading Instruction
August 6th - August 8th, 2018 (Pre-A-Fluent Stages)
*Book is required for the training
• Understand that choosing the right text and offering students the “just right” amount of
scaffolding increases the students’ opportunity to master fundamental reading skills and
strategies and to meet the diverse needs of students in your classroom.
• Understand how to differentiate reading instruction using the Next Step in Guided
• Understand how to use the Next Step in Guided Reading lesson plans to support
students’ skill and strategy development for making sense of text.
• Understand that Next Step to Guided Reading is based on a balanced reading
approach to teach small group reading.
• Understand the components of each of the 5 stages of Next Step in Guided Reading and
how those components contribute to the development of proficient readers.
• Understand how to revisit specific teaching points, skills, and/or strategies with which
students need more support.
Intro to Next Step in Guided Reading
Monday, Aug. 6th, 9am to Wednesday, Aug. 8th, 3pm
500 Northeast 6th Street
Participants will be able to receive 1 license renewal credit OR 1 college credit. Participants who wish to earn credit must attend ALL 3 days and complete the required work detailed in the syllabus. Click here to see the class requirements.
Go to http://www.plaea.org and click on Professional Development and then Course Catalog (Class ID is 6873) to log in, register for credit and/or to view the syllabus. The title of the class is Intro to Next Step in Guided Reading.