Year 1 Newsletter
Spring 2 Term 2018
Our topic 'Our Britain'
In Literacy we are looking at 'Hector and the Big Bad Knight'. The children are using punctuation to uplevel their own pieces of writing. Year 1 have introduced 'Do Now' activities for their daily lessons. This is a great way to ensure that themes and skills are practiced regularly. Children will also have daily phonics sessions and handwriting and a weekly visit to the school's library. Our guided and individual reading continues to take place. Lots of reading at home will really help to build on their skills.
As the children will be doing their phonics screening test, words have been sent home for your children to focus on. Please keep working hard on these.
This half term we will be learning about division. We will move on to thinking about comparing numbers using greater than >, less than < and equal to =. The symbols are very important to the children's understanding. We will build on previously learnt additon and suibtraction skills.
In desgin technology, we will be looking at mechanisms. The children will learn about how these work before they move on to a planning and making element. In science, the children will explore ways of grouping animals, thinking about their characteristics.
Dates for your diary
26th February- Happy chicks arrive- 3 incubators will arrive with eggs ready to hatch.
1st March- World book day- dress as a book character.
6th March- Theatre in- The Little Princess.
12th March- Teaching Talons- birds of prey in to visit.
12th March- Science, Teachnology, Engineering and Maths week to inspire children.
14th March- Parents Evening Letters out.
16th March- Teaching Talons- birds of prey in to visit.
23rd March- Easter Egg Raffle, 2.30 Foundation sing-along for parents, last day.
- Please ensure that your child is not wearing earrings on PE days or that they have a plaster over the earring. This is for health and safety.
- As the weather is extremely cold it is essential that your child has their full and correct outdoor PE kit. This includes long tracksuit bottoms and a top.
- Please ensure that your child has their reading pack (including: reading book, target card, signature raffle card and question card). Packs should be in school daily.
How can you help?
Practice the spellings sent home.
Complete weekly homework tasks.
Here are some links to useful sites where your child can learn from home.
- Can you put the full stops in the right place? http://www.roythezebra.com/reading-games/full-stop-1.html
- Read the words - real or alien words? http://ictgames.com/poopDeckPirates/index.html
- Can you order the numbers? http://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=order
- Shape lab! Find the right shapes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/maths/shapes/play/popup.shtml