HMS Bearcat Bulletin
April 22, 2020
Notes from Ms. Buschmann
Since the governor announced that Missouri schools would be out for the rest of the semester, the staff of Gasconade County R-1 has been carefully planning how to wrap up this school year. There is a lot of information below, and hopefully, it will answer all of your questions. Please read it carefully as there are several dates you need to be aware of. I have also left in some of the information from the last newsletter that I sent out because it is still pertinent.
Amongst all of this change, I hate to add to a sense of unease about the future or any more instability, but I want to take this opportunity to share that I have accepted a job as the Assistant Superintendent of the North Callaway R-1 School District. It has been my distinct pleasure to be a part of Hermann Schools for 17 out of the last 19 years. I have learned and grown more than I ever thought possible. The dedication of this teaching staff is second to none, and I have enjoyed the support of parents, my colleagues, and the Board of Education in making positive changes as a teacher, coach, sponsor, and principal. I have been offered the opportunity to continue to grow in my career and tackle new challenges as a central office administrator, and I am looking forward to focusing on areas of education that I am most passionate about- curriculum and instruction. Dr. Smith and a group of middle school teachers are in the process of interviewing candidates to be the HMS principal, and I know they will find someone who will be an outstanding administrator. I will certainly miss everyone here, and the circumstances of this goodbye are less than ideal but know that it was very hard to leave this job because of all of you.
Things to know for the End of School 2020
- One more round of AMI's is being prepared. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education made it clear that school districts were to offer instruction through their regularly-scheduled end of the year. In the next round of packets you will find work for each class through May 12 and then two school-wide lessons that Ms. Buschmann has prepared to honor what would have been "Awards Day" and "4th-Quarter Incentive Day."
- For those of you that have asked for or been receiving paper packets, we are asking that families pick up their packets if at all possible. We will have packets available on April 27 from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. in front of the middle school as well as, weather permitting, some free books available for anyone who would like more reading material. This would be a great time to turn in work from Rounds 1 or 2 of AMI's as well.
- Mrs. Pehle is preparing lessons and forms so our upper-grade students can choose their electives for next year. Please follow her directions as precisely as you can and meet all deadlines in order that schedules can be completed.
- Online Registration, as we have done for the past two years, is open for families to complete. Complete this process by logging onto the Parent Portal of Infinite Campus.
- Lots of people have been asking about lockers and personal belongings. Our custodians have been cleaning out lockers and we have started compiling things that need to be distributed to students. We will have 2 days, May 14 and 15, where staff members will be available to collect all academic work, check-in Chromebooks, and receive all school materials that you have at home. These materials may include uniforms, library books, classroom books, textbooks, or choir polos just to name a few. Once all of those items have been turned in, we will give you locker contents, trash bag orders, and anything else that you may have here at school including Spring sports pictures, track apparel, sewing kits, etc.
- We are currently planning a variety of things for 8th-grade promotion. What version happens will depend on the state of travel in the county and across the state. We will keep you informed as best we can.
- Grades will continue to be posted in the "In Progress" term on Infinite Campus. We did not publish mid-quarter grades for 4th quarter because students are in vastly different stages of completing their AMI work. More information about grades is posted in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section below.
- From Mr. Landolt regarding volleyball camp: At this time, we are still planning on having volleyball camp. You have two camp registration options. You can drop completed camp forms off at Central Office (Monday- Friday between 9:00 and 3:00), or you can show up on the first day of camp and sign the forms and pay at that time. Note that if camp does get canceled, there will be a full refund. If you have questions, please email Phil Landolt at email@example.com. Information about other sports camps and summer plans will be communicated as it is determined.
AMI Round 3 Packet Pick-Up
Monday, April 27th, 8am-4:30pm
Hermann Middle School
Gasconade County R-1 District Parade
Thursday, April 23rd, 1pm
Hermann, MO, USA
District busses and individual cars will carry teachers throughout the area to greet students and their families. The route will be as follows:
- regular homecoming parade route through town
- Hwy 100 to Gasconade: 1st St, Oak St., 5th St, and back to Hwy 100
- Hwy J to Hwy F to Hwy 19 at Swiss
- Hwy Z to Hwy 100 to Hwy B to Berger
- Berger Rd to Hwy 100
- Hwy 100 to Hwy 19 to Big Spring (turn around at the Big Spring Store)
- Hwy 19 to Hwy 94 to Rhineland (turn around at PSB and The Corner)
- Back to Hermann Middle School
We hope to see you along the route!
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the School Closure (Repeats from the Last Bulletin)
This work is overwhelming for my child or for my family, what do I do?
There are a few things you might try:
Work in an environment that is free from distractions
As a group of parents, decide on a time when your kids will be working on school so that nobody is online gaming
Work in a few shorter sessions rather than 1 long one
Email the teacher to see if there is a time he or she can work with your child or if he or she can just clarify the expectations for the work
If you just can’t do it all, focus on math and reading.
We have work to turn in to teachers, how do we do that?
- There is a bin out in the front of each building for work to be dropped off in. Please make sure all work is marked with the student’s name and the teacher’s name. If you are unable to come to town to turn in work, you can drop it off during meal service at our outlying locations, or you can use the “Notes” app on an iPhone to create PDF’s to turn in on Google classroom. Here’s an article that will walk you through how to do it.
How are my child’s grades going to be affected?
- We have run reports with students’ grades as of the school closure. On Infinite Campus, we will grade AMI work (the work sent home during the closure) and enter those assignments as we have throughout the school year. The grades on Infinite Campus will reflect zeroes for any missing work so that you and your child know what is missing. You will see grades calculated for the fourth quarter as they normally would be. When it is all said and done, however, we will compare what is in Infinite Campus and what the current grade was when we closed school and take the higher of the two grades. That way, work from the AMI’s can only help students grades.
My Chromebook has stopped working, what do I do?
- Call or email the technology department and leave a message as to what the problem is. They will make arrangements with you to trade out so that yours can be repaired. (573) 486-2116 x1231 firstname.lastname@example.org
My child needs their calculator/book/ (or another vital item) and it is in his or her locker. Can we get it?
- If there is something that you must have to do classwork, please call the office and we can arrange to get the stuff you need.
Ongoing Fundraising Efforts
Please keep in mind a few easy ways to raise funds for HMS:
- Boxtops for Education- no more clipping logs to send to school. Just download the app, create an account, and then scan your receipts in. The app will automatically credit our account for the applicable items. Receipts have to be scanned in within 14 days. If you want us to scan them in for you, please send them to the office.
- Shutterfly- start your order at our storefront and 8% of each purchase will be sent to HMS. Visit our Storefront: hermannmiddleschool.ShutterflyStorefront.com
- Best Choice UPC's
- Coca-Cola Give: Put codes from bottles or12-packs or cases of cans in and designate Hermann Middle School as your giving partner at Coke.com/Give.