Soledad Unified School District
Board Meeting of November 9, 2022
Action taken in Closed Session
The Board took action in closed session and appointed Martha Pantoja as the CTE Coordinator. Congratulations Martha!!!
The Soledad Unified School District’s Governing Board is currently elected under an “at-large”election system, where trustees can reside anywhere in the District, and are elected by voters of the entire District. On September 14, 2022, the Board adopted Resolution No. 9-03-22, signaling its intent to transition to by-trustee area elections. In a by-trustee area election system, each Board member must reside within the designated trustee area boundary and is elected only by the voters in that trustee area. On October 12, 2022, the Board received a presentation from National Demographics Corporation regarding their process in drawing potential trustee area boundaries. The Board then held a public hearing to gather input on composition of potential trustee areas pursuant to Elections Code section 10010. On November 9, 2022, the Board again received a presentation from National Demographics Corporation regarding their process in drawing potential trustee area boundaries. The Board held a second public hearing to gather input on composition of potential trustee areas pursuant to Elections Code section 10010. The presentation can be found here
STUDENTS OF THE MONTH
MAIN STREET MIDDLE SCHOOL
SOLEDAD HIGH SCHOOL
COMMUNITY ED CENTER - SOLEDAD HIGH SCHOOL INDEPENDENT STUDY PROGRAM
AMAL MOQBEL QASEM
EMPLOYEES OF THE MONTH
Sandra Lara, 3rd Grade Teacher (Sub)
BOARD MEMBERS' REPORTS
- Congratulated students of the month
- Congratulated Employees of the Month
- Recognized the Soledad High School Varsity Volleyball Team for making it to the Central Coast Section Playoffs; and the Cross Country Team for making it to the Central Coast Section Playoffs
- Congratulated the Soledad High School Football Team for winning the 2022 Cypress Division Championship
- Also recognized and commended the Warriors Program (younger youth). Please support our younger youth.
- Commended students who spoke at the Board meeting under public comments. It's a lesson in the democratic process.
- Reminder that elementary conferences are next week
- Recognized all Veterans' who will be honored on November 11th. We have many of them in our District Team!
- Thanksgiving break is coming up and encouraged everyone to use it to get some rest and recover.
- Thanked staff who will be working over the Thanksgiving break when they continue planning and ready for staff upon their return.
- The Youth Council was also recognized for their volunteerism and at the same time, keeping up with their academics.
- Food service department recognition. The Board would like to see the survey results and asked for a follow-up. They also want to see menu and how much food is being wasted and suggestions for improvement.
- Board members who are part of the Board Advisory Committee on School Construction reported on their meeting and how they reviewed, analyzed projects, and prioritized them.
- Urged the district to make our policies easily available to our staff/community. To also keep staff updated on any changes that might affect them.
- October is Native American Heritage Month.
- On October 17 participated in the Family Resource Committee meeting. The Committee is filing paperwork to restructure the old MSM library and convert it into a Family Resource Center for our families to access. Esser Funds are being used to fund this project.
- October 24 - there was a teacher/staff sub committee meeting to start building this project. On the same day, Board representatives Ibarra Mora and Pantoja attended and participated in the LCAP Advisory Committee.
- Visit to Gabilan elementary and commended staff for their work without a counselor. One day without the counselor is one day too many.
- October 29 - VP Ibarra Mora attended the Girls' volleyball tournament. Commended them for hard game and incredible job they are doing.
- November 3 participated in the Rotary Interact Meeting
- Rotary 3rd grade Dictionary distribution at all elementary schools. Deep appreciation
- Congratulated the Main Street Middle School 8th grade girls took 1st place and won the tournament and are undefeated. Congratulated the Coach Woodrow and Coach Alcocer.
- Thanked the City of Soledad for their $10,000 donation for the weight room equipment.
- Thanked the BACSC committee and board members who represent them in recommending the $25,000 allocation for the swim blocks.
SOLEDAD UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT GOVERNING BOARD
- 2021 Annual Report from the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee (“CBOC”) for Measures G and N General Obligation Bonds Pursuant to Proposition 39 and can be found here
- Frank Ledesma School Report presented by Principal, Dr. Jonathan Sison and can be found here
- Fall LCAP Report given by Dr. Limary Gutierrez and can be found here and here
Established December 14, 2022 as the Board's Organizational Meeting to elect Board Officers and to establish Board Meeting dates and times. It is also the meeting whereby two Board members will be sworn in to their elected offices: Monica Pantoja and Mr. Chris Bourke. Mr. Alfredo Flores did not run for his board seat.
Revised Declaration of Need for Fully Qualified Educators (California Commission on Teacher Credentialing)
CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS
Approval for Board Members and Administrators to attend the 2022 CSBA Annual Education Conference and Trade Show in San Diego, California December 1-3, 2022
Agreement with Butler Amusements to hold the Annual Carnival March 16-19, 2023 at Frank Ledesma Elementary
Quarterly Report on Williams Uniform Complaints Quarter 1 - October 2022
Renewal of Agreement with COMPanion for District Wide Alexandria Library Software Subscriptions for the 2023 Fiscal Year.
Agreement with Silicon Valley Education Foundation for the Math Elevate Program 2022-2023 School Year
Agreement Renewal with Hartnell Community College for the College & Career Access Pathways Partnership (CCAP) Dual Enrollment
Agreement with Educational Leadership Collective for Coaching Services for the 2022-23 School Year
Agreement with South Bay High School, Inc. for the 2022-23 School Year
Agreement with Career Links for the 2022-23 School Year
Agreement with Soliant Health, LLC for the 2022-23 School Year
Approval of Agreement with Pacific Monarch to Provide Transportation to SHS 2023 Class
Agreement with Camp Ocean Pines and Rose Ferrero Elementary School for Spring 2023
Out of State Conference Request for Main Street Middle School to Washington DC and New York
Out of State Conference Request for Main Street Middle School Staff to Seattle WA
Overnight Trip for SHS Boys & Girls to attend the Wrestling Tournament in Bakersfield, CA
Overnight Trip for SHS SkillsUSA to attend the State Competition & Conference in Ontario, CA
Soledad High School Prom Venue for 2023-2024
Independent Contractor Agreement with 360 Degree Customer Inc
- Review of Treasurer's Quarterly Report Monterey County Treasurer which can be found here
- MOU with the Soledad-Mission Recreation District and the Soledad High School Swim team
E-WASTE (BACSC #2) and can be found here
Dilbeck & Sons Proposal for Gabilan Door (BACSC #3) can be found here
MOT Storage Facility Installation – Portable Classroom (Gilroy) (BACSC #5) and can be found here
District Office Storage Facility Installation – Portable Classroom (Santa Cruz) (BACSC #6) can be found here
Swim Blocks (Soledad-Mission Recreation District) (BACSC #7) and can be found here and the MOU with the Rec District here The MOU will be amended a minimum of $25,000 and not to exceed $40,000 to be paid from the General Fund.