Pleasantville Polar Bear Post
Week of March 15th, 2023
Good Afternoon PLV Families -
Congratulations to PLV's Teacher of the Year, Ms. Angela Jackson our 4th/5th Grade Special Education Teacher!! She has dedicated her career to teaching some of our most vulnerable students. Ms. Jackson is one of the most compassionate and caring teachers here at PLV and we are excited to have her advance to the next round to interview for Colonial's Teacher of the Year!! We are all beyond proud for Ms. Jackson to represent PLV!!
Mrs. Wedell, our school counselor, will be out on leave until the end of the school year. If you have any needs or concerns, you can reach out to the following SEL staff for support:
- Mrs. Mandy Munson - Special Education Coordinator
- Ms. Kayla Woods - School Psychologist
- Heather Yacabell - Family Support
- Donna Robinson - School Nurse
- Mrs. Upperman - Assistant Principal
- Ms. Griffith - Principal
In addition, Mrs. Heidi Gerhard, a retired school counselor, will be at PLV two days a week for additional support and to pull small groups for counseling.
March Madness Book Tournament is under way! We started with 16 books and only 1 book will be crowned Champion!! Staff have recorded ourselves reading the books and then the students have been able to listen/watch us read the books during Morning Meeting and then Vote.
Here is a list of the books! We are almost down to the Elite 8:
Bracket 1: Don't Touch My Hair vs. The Proudest Blue
- Winner: Don't Touch My Hair
Bracket 2: The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissor vs. Dragons Love Tacos
- Winner: Dragons Love Tacos
Bracket 3: The Recess Queen vs. Long Shot
- Winner: Long Shot
Bracket 4: Leonardo the Terrible Monster vs. The Day You Begin
- Winner: The Day You Begin
Bracket 5: The Smart Cookie vs. Sofia Valdez Future Prez
- Winner: The Smart Cookie
Bracket 6: The Boy Who Became King vs. Creepy Pair of Underwear!
- Winner: Creep Pair of Underwear!
Bracket 7: A Fine, Fine School vs. The Day the Crayons Came Home
- Winner: The Day the Crayons Came Home
Bracket 8: Salt in His Shoes vs. Chez Bob
- Winner: tbd
Rocky's Reading Challenge forms are due next Thursday, March 23rd -NO Late forms will be accepted!! All PLV students were welcome to participate in the Wilmington Blue Rocks Rocky's Reading Challenge. Students received a blue letter will all the details and each student can earn 2 Wilmington Blue Rocks Tickets. Details about the game will come after the challenge ends. Parents need to complete the bottom section of the form and help their children fill out the middle section if needed. Each PLV student will need to read 3 books and complete a short summary to earn the tickets. Parents of younger students, please have your child tell you what the story was about and you can record/scribe the answer for them.
As a reminder, if you would like to volunteer for your child's field trip, you must complete the Volunteer/Background Check Form on Colonial's website and be approved.
This Monday, March 20th, the PTA is sponsoring our first PLV Skate Night at Christiana Skating Rink from 6:00 - 8:00 PM. Admission $6 and Skate Rental $4. Students MUST have an adult with them while they skate. Students are not allowed to be dropped off at the Rink with no adult supervision.
Parent Teacher Conferences will be Thursday, March 30th and Friday, March 31st. Look for conference sign ups on our child's teacher's Class DoJo page. There will be No School for students on these two days.
Reminder that Colonial School District has guidelines for Parents and Students bringing outside food into school.
- Promote the use of Nutrition Services' order forms for classroom parties to ensure compliance with nutrition guidelines and to ensure the safety of students with food allergies.
- CSD Nutrition Information
- Information On the following: Prepayment Options for Student Accounts, Snack Item and Order Form, Breakfast/Lunch Menus, Pizza Party Order Forms, etc.
- Discourage outside food coming from home to be used for classroom parties, celebrations, events and/or rewards for student behavior due to monitoring food allergies, reducing food safety concerns and consumption of excess calories during the school day to meet Smart Snack guidelines.
1 More month to order a Yearbook!! PLV SY22-23 Yearbooks are on sale now. Yearbooks are now $20. Deadline to order is April 21st, 2023. Credit Card orders through Barksdale Website ONLY. Go to www.barksdalephoto.com then "What are you looking for?" , click "Order Your Yearbook" and enter 12470YB as the Access Code. (see flyer posted on Class DoJo by Ms. Millman)
Here are the links for Colonial School District Calendar:
Important Information to Remember:
- Main Office Zoom # 302-501-7992
- Mrs. Robinson Zoom # 302-367-7946
- Parents and Staff should be entering PLV using Pleasant Place and exiting through Doncaster Road during arrival and dismissal times.
- Residents who live on Pleasant Place having been calling PLV Main Office and complaining about cars speeding down the street in the morning and afternoon. Please be mindful that the speed limit on Pleasant Place is only 25 mph.
- School Opens at 8:45. Please do not drop off early. There is no supervision until the doors open at 8:45.
- PM Car Line is open at 3:00. Please do not come earlier because students have recess in our side lot.
- PLV Family Handbook 2022 - 2023 - Please Review (School Hours, Mission, Attendance, Late Arrival/Early Dismissal Procedures, Car Line, School Cafe, Communication Tools, and much more.
We are looking forward to another great year of academic achievement and growth for our students. One of our goals is to continue to improve communication between the school and our families. The Pleasantville Staff is looking forward to another great year of learning, growing, and developing. We are honored to have the opportunity to teach your children.
Kind Regards & Stay Well,
Renee M. Griffith - Principal
Michelle Upperman - Assistant Principal
PLV Main Office: 302-323-2935 or 302-323-2941
- PLV Main Office Zoom #: 302-501-7992
- Donna Robinson Zoom #: 302-367-7946
School Messenger App
- Pleasantville and Colonial will communicate via email and text message. Please make sure we have the most updated contact information.
Class DoJo App
- Teachers and Admin will use Class Do to update upcoming events, send parents direct messages, etc.
- Teachers will be updating their individual Class Stories a minimum of 2x per week to keeo parents updated.
- The best way to contact your child's teacher/Admin is to send them a Direct Message through Class DoJo. Make sure you get connected!!
Updates for the Week of March 17th
- PLV Main Office Zoom # 302-501-7992 if you can't reach the Main Office 302-323-2941
- Please ensure that your email and phone numbers are correct. These are the main channels for Colonial and PLV to contact you to share important information. To update the contact information you have on file, please fill out this form: https://bit.ly/CSDinfoupdate
- If you have not been receiving calls & emails from Pleasantville or Colonial School District, please call PLV's Secretary, Ms. Cheryl Rodriguez at 302-323-2935 or email email@example.com
Monday, March 20th
- PTA PLV Skate Night @ Christiana Skating Rink
- $6 Admission
- $4 Skate Rental
Tuesday, March 21st - Rock Your Socks Day!
- World Down Syndrome Day
Thursday, March 23rd
- Rocky's Reading Challenge Forms Due - No Late Forms will be Accepted
Friday, March 24th - No School
- Staff Professional Development
March 30th & 31st
- 2nd Semester Parent-Teacher Conferences
- No School for Students
Tuesday, April 4th
- CSD STEAM Showcase @ WP
April 7th - 16th - No School
- Spring Break
Wednesday, April 26th
- CSD Math 24 Game Competition
- 6:30 - 7:30 @ WP
Week of April 24th - 28th
- ELA State Testing in Grades 3rd, 4th, 5th
Friday, April 28th & Saturday, April 29th
- CSD Art Show @ WP
- Friday, April 28th from 5:00 - 7:00 PM
- Saturday, April 29th from 10:00 - 12:00 PM
Week of May 1st - 4th
- Math State Testing in Grades, 3rd, 4th, 5th
Friday, May 5th - No School
- Staff Professional Development
Week of May 8th - 11th
- 5th Grade ARC Classes
Friday, May 19th
- 5th Grade Skating Trip
Monday, May 29th - No School
- Memorial Day Holiday
School Supply Lists
Parents who wish to provide supplies for their child, please review the suggested PLV Student Supply List SY22-23.
School Start & End Times
8:45 Doors Open (Arrival)
- Students will be considered late after 9:00 AM and will need to be signed in at the Main Office with Ms. Cheryl, our Secretary. Parents will use a QR Code to sign students in late. Please bring your phone with you inside.
- Students may not be dropped off early to PLV, unless they are signed up for YMCA Before Care. There is no supervision of students on the front or side sidewalks.
3:35 Student Dismissal
- We will start the dismissal process inside the building at 3:30.
- Students will need to be signed out at the Main Office with Ms. Cheryl for Early Dismissals
NO CHANGES TO DISMISSAL AFTER 3:00!!
Pleasantville Student Schedules KN - 5th SY22-23 (see below)
Cars may start to enter the Car Rider Lot at 3:00 (no earlier). Students have recess in that lot up til 3:00 each day.
Car riders will be dismissed from the right side of the building. Cars must stay to the right and make two parallel lines (see attached photo). Parents are to remain inside the car. Staff will call Car Riders, in groups of 12 (first 6 cars in each row), once all students are safely inside the vehicle, a staff member will dismiss the first 12 cars. Cars must exit through the PLV parking lot and not Pleasant Place.
Parents may not park in the front and come into the building at dismissal. Colonial buses unload and load students in the front of the building.
Join PLV PTA & Upcoming Events
Monday, March 13th
- PTA Meeting 6:00 7:00 PM - PLV Library
Monday, May 8th
- PTA Meeting 6:00 7:00 PM - PLV Library
PLV Spirit Wear!!
- Buy your PLV Spirt Wear - Percentage of Sales goes directly to our PLV PTA.