~ Hawley School Newsletter: May 3, 2020 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti.....
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians, Teachers, and Staff,
I hope that all of you and your families remain healthy, safe, and well. We finally had 2 nice days in a row and I enjoyed it thoroughly as my wish is that you did as well.
THANK YOU to all of you for your dedication, caring, cooperation, patience and support. What we are doing right now is a testament to the core of what defines the Hawley School Community.
As we continue to move through this unprecedented situation, everyone will be faced with their own "reality." If your situation changes or problems arise, please reach out to me with any question or need that you have. It is not a bother!
Buckle up, keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, and stay seated as you read on to find out What's Happening at Hawley .......
Thank You !!!
If this Principal appreciates anything,
it is the love and teamwork that is
the Hawley School Community!!!
Special Education Teachers: If your child receives special education services or intervention support, those providers will also send out work. All staff is to coordinate workload as to not overwhelm. Be sure that you know which work your child is responsible for as in most cases, they Do NOT do both.
Special Area Teachers (Art, Library, Music, PE, Spanish), our Counselor, and Special Education Related Service Providers (Speech & Language, Psychologist, Occupational and Physical Therapies) are also sending work. In grades K-1 it will be included in the Classroom Teachers information. Grades 2-4, it will be in their own classroom.
Although the building is closed, school is occurring. Students must be doing work. Video instructions, Live Meetings, and Small Group/Independent Support is increasing as should student independence. It is vital that students and parents remain in contact with the teacher and visa versa. My job is to follow up wherever communication breaks down.
To help, we have tutorials for Google Classroom and Seesaw on our Website in the new Digital Resources Link:
Video Messages, Recorded Instruction/Modeling, Virtual Meetings, Small Group and/or Support Instructional Sessions has started and will be increasing. Teachers are also going to begin collecting certain assignments each week that will be used for grading purposes. We will guide and assist in every way that we can, but I repeat, certain work assignments are going to be collected and needed to be turned in. If work is not received, the teacher will reach out to see what assistance is needed, followed by me or Mrs. Connors.
Please let us know if you and your child is struggling to complete work
as we will find ways to assist.
We're Rockin' This!!!
~ Virtual Spirit Week ~
Thank you for everyone who submitted pictures and to Mrs. Connors for making this special week a reality.
Many pictures were sent in and posted to Classroom Platforms as well as to Twitter (#HAWLEYVIRTUALSPIRITWEEK). Here are but a few.......
~ Story Time With Mr. Moretti ~
I am cruisin' through the Mr. Men library book series that I used to read to my boys when they were little. There are 46 stories in the series. I will continue to read them, record them, and send you the links. (I think they have been nominated for the Koo-Koo Award, very prestigous ;0)
Feel free to play one each day (you can binge but I reference days of the week ;0). Again, this helps me connect to the kids, they get to see me (AND you get an 8 minute or so break ;0) Continue to send messages or pictures of the kids enjoying the stories, they brighten my day!
Monday: Story 26
Tuesday: Story 27
Wednesday: Story 28
Thursday: Story 29
Friday: Story 30
~ Questions / Suggestions ~
this information continues to be updated, worthy of a re-look
- Set up work areas and schedules (build in breaks)
- Remember nothing about the work is urgent. No work, at our level, must be completed the day it is assigned. If you have a question or if your student is struggling with an assignment, take a break. Wait for input from the teacher or the answer and revisit.
- Ask your question directly to the staff member responsible for your question (classroom teacher, special area teacher, intervention support, special education, related services, mental health, etc). This will significantly increase the response time.
- Collect a few important questions and ask your teacher for a scheduled phone call to address all at one time
- Improvise: you can re-create an assignment if you can't print, use different materials as available, use your own strategies (that WE were taught as kids ;0)
- Step a way, unplug and just have fun!
We will continue to work with families to provide devices as needed. If a situation arises where a device is needed, email me and your teacher. Someone will then reach out to you and set up an appointment to pick one up at Hawley.
Students in Grades K-1 will receive an ipad with students in grades 2-4 receiving chromebooks.
~ K Registration 2020-2021 ~
You can call the main number and leave a message for more information (203-426-7666) or go to our school website. Here is the link (https://haw.newtown.k12.ct.us/)
Class Placement, yes for Next Year ;0)
Although teachers and other staff have closely observed your child in the classroom/school environment, I understand that from a parent’s perspective, there may be information that you would like to share and to be considered.
With the exception of choosing a specific teacher, I invite you to email/call me with any information that you feel would be helpful in the placement of your child. If I feel that additional information is needed, I may give you a follow-up call.
Placement conversations should be directed to me and NOT your child’s current classroom teacher. Sending information is optional and has a deadline of May 8, 2020. Please Note : it is possible that information received after May 8, 2020 might not be able to be considered, as our process would have started and it is difficult to make changes at that point (too many other factors).
Important Reminders / General Info
- If your child wants to send me an email (through your email address), I would love it ;0) and will reply.
- Grade 5 INSTRUMENTS: For those wondering about signing up and ordering an instrument for 5th grade, do not worry. Reed is working on it and they will reach out to you at the appropriate time.
- There is a terrific resource on our school website, it is entitled DISTANCE LEARNING RESOURCES. It includes tutorials and links to web-based materials (books and videos). It will continuously be updated as resources become available. This is a great site for extra work (REINFORCEMENT / PRACTICE / ENRICHMENT). The link is (https://sites.google.com/newtown.k12.ct.us/npsdigitalresources/home)
It goes without saying that no videos or audio recordings of staff should end up on social media or shared with other people. Discussions of other students or sharing of their work is not appropriate. Let's be role-models.
Reach out to me with any question or need that you may have.
Everyone is doing a terrific job!!
Breathe: we are in this together.