By Naisha G.
What are the Causes of Caffeine Addiction?
- Habit - Enjoying caffeine might lead to consuming it daily.
Decreased negative effects - It increases alertness at a first few times.
Temporary withdrawal effects - The grogginess you feel in the morning might be due to lack of caffeine, not true exhaustion.
Severe withdrawal effects - When you miss your regular dose, you will experience withdrawal effects and want to go back to caffeine.
Who is at risk from Caffeine Addiction?
Symptoms of Caffeine addiction.
- Loss of sleep
- Flu-like symptoms
- Impairment in psychomotor, vigilance and cognitive performances
These are a few of the symptoms for addiction of caffeine.
Treatments/Prevention for Caffeine Addiction
- Start slowly - Many doctors say that stopping abruptly is a bad idea as it has some effects.
- Stick to the schedule - Since this pattern oftentimes gives structure to your day, you’ll miss it much more if you cut it out completely.
- Try sipping an expresso shot - If you really crave the taste of a strong coffee then try expresso as it only has half of the caffeine as the regular coffee.
- Keep an eye on the clock - Keep Track when you consume caffeine.
- "What Are the Causes of Caffeine Addiction?" LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 05 July 2015. Web. 03 May 2016. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/526770-what-are-the-causes-of-caffeine-addiction/>.
"Caffeine: MedlinePlus." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. <https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/caffeine.html>.
Mayo Clinic Staff. "Nutrition and Healthy Eating." Caffeine: How Much Is Too Much? Mayo Clinic Staff, n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/caffeine/ART-20045678?p=1>.
"Caffeine Facts: Addiction, Insomnia, Pregnancy Effects, and More."WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. <http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts>.
"Nutrition and Healthy Eating." Caffeine: How Much Is Too Much? N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678?reDate=29042016>.
"Caffeine." KidsHealth - the Web's Most Visited Site about Children's Health. The Nemours Foundation, n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. <http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/caffeine.html>.