Smith's Knightly News
October 29, 2022
Smith Middle School
Mission: The purpose of Smith Middle School is to ensure learning for all members of our school community.
Vision: Smith will be a safe environment where diversity is embraced, and the needs of the whole child are met through innovation and collaboration. With the resources available, the Smith community will strive to provide an engaging, challenging academic experience, while promoting a balance between emotional, academic, and social needs, contributing to the success of all students.
Through Their Eyes
LIFE SKILLS FIELD TRIP TO MARTELL
Life Skills classes teamed up with Martell Kindergarteners this year to create monsters! Martell students each drew and colored a picture of a monster, and our Smith Life Skills students used hand-sewing skills to bring the monsters to life. We had the opportunity to deliver the projects to Martell personally this week. Students at both schools had a wonderful time, and we look forward to collaborating again next year!
Smith is very proud of our two 6th grade entrants into the Troy Library's Scary Story Contest!
6th grader Sam Wong received an Honorable Mention, his scary story being in the top 3 for the middle school category!!!
Mind Break Monday -
Mrs. Sebastian’s ELL Tutorial 6th Hour Class having fun and bonding with each other while playing Jenga! Languages have no boundaries here in room 20!
WASHINGTON D.C. MEETING
Congratulations on a great end to the season
Students are welcome to wear their Halloween Costumes to school on Monday, 10/31. As a reminder:
- School Dress Code must still be followed.
- No masks covering a student's face.
- No costumes that reflect violence or themes unsettling to others. No blood or gore, fake weapons, horror movie characters, etc.
- Costumes should not be offensive or reinforce harmful stereotypes based on race, ethnicity, religion, culture, body shape, etc. (e.g. pope, fat man, Native American, turban).
Bond 2022: Frequently Asked Questions
Over the last few months, Troy School District administrators and staff have visited with thousands of residents across the City to discuss the upcoming Bond Proposal. There are a few questions that keep coming up, so we thought it would be a good idea to answer them in the short video below:
What are the highlights for Bond 2022?
Future-Ready Learning Environments
Create innovative and engaging educational spaces that foster collaboration and critical thinking, preparing students for college and careers of the future. These spaces will uphold the tradition of academic excellence and community engagement that drives families to Troy.
Infrastructure & Sustainability
Ensure critical improvements to address aging and outdated schools and facilities, with a focus on increased operational efficiency and healthy, productive environments for students, staff, and community.
Develop and upgrade spaces for community and student programming, with an emphasis on STEM-based learning, robotics, athletics, recreation, fine and performing arts. Continue to build on partnerships with business and industry to offer opportunities for career and in-demand skills.
Safety & Technology
Enhance security measures at all levels, including fencing, secure doors, upgraded camera systems and other safety infrastructure. Upgrade network/phone/ technology infrastructure to ensure that students and staff are connected to advanced resources needed for research, innovation and cutting-edge tools that enrich learning and achievement.
We have a great online spirit wear store with a number of new modern styles and items for purchase. You can either pick them up or utilize the option of having your orders delivered directly to your home for a small fee.
Click on the link below to check out the wide variety of styles and prints.
Below is a sample of the logo choices for most items...
For the past 11 years, Smith Middle School has participated in Science Olympiad, one of the nation's premier science competitions and Smith has been recognized as one of the top programs in Michigan
Our previous parent volunteer coaches have moved on now that their children have graduated from Smith and we are looking for some new parent volunteers this year to organize and coach our Science Olympiad Club.
This is a great opportunity to get involved at Smith and continue to build on our successful Science Olympiad program. Coaches at our other Troy middle schools will also be available as guides and mentors.
If you are interested in serving as a coach, please reach out to Mr. Brinks (email@example.com) as soon as possible. We hope to have the team up and running in the next few weeks.
6TH GRADE INTRAMURAL BOYS BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
IA EAST INFORMATIONAL NIGHT
8th Grade Families,
Enrollment for the International Academy East Class of 2027 will be opening soon. IA East is a Troy high school that provides:
- A world-recognized International Baccalaureate curriculum
- Small school environment
- High-quality music program with over 65% of students participating in a music ensemble and the opportunity to study music history, theory, and composition at a collegiate level
- Four-year art program allowing students to explore a wide range of media through university-level projects
- Successful drama and performance program including theatre productions and competitive forensics and poetry clubs
- Character education program designed around the International Baccalaureate Learner Profile with students participating in "Houses" designed to foster deeper social connections
- College-level course work in the 11th and 12th grade IB Diploma Program with students earning college credit through their IB examinations
- Focus on service-learning in our community
- Dozens of opportunities to participate in competitive clubs, enrichment experiences, and travel abroad
- The ability to continue to participate in athletics for Troy High School or Athens High School
Upcoming 8th Grade Informational Meetings:
- November 16, 2022 from 6:00-7:30pm
- January 18, 2023 from 6:00 - 7:30pm
Deadline to submit online application: January 29, 2022 at 11:59pm
These meetings are open to current 8th-grade students and their families. It is a great opportunity to learn more about the IA and the International Baccalaureate Program.
Smith Middle School Twitter - @SMITHKNIGHTS
Feel free to follow the great things happening at Smith Middle School on Twitter. We often share pictures from our school day, highlight student work and classroom activities, and celebrations.