Paloma Creek Library
Monthly Newsletter for February 2016
Volunteers Needed for Dr. Seuss Reading Day on March 2nd
Dr. Seuss Reading Day - March 2, 2016
WHAT: United Way will partner with Denton ISD and the schools to host hundreds of volunteers in schools across Denton (including Paloma Creek Elementary) for a morning of reading in honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday. This event will create a transformational experience not only for volunteers by providing a real world experience of effective education, but also for the thousands of children who will be impacted by having a community member visit their classroom.
WHERE: 10 elementary school in Denton
WHEN: March 2, 2016 from 9:30AM – 11AM
1. Engage volunteers in Denton
2. Impact classrooms in Denton
3. Spread the love of reading to thousands of students
4. Bring awareness to TEKS aligned books and activities that reinforce essential literacy skills
-School administration, teachers, retired teachers
-Parents, grandparents, and families
-College & University Students and Organizations
-Current and new United Way volunteers
-New community volunteers
-Current and New Mentors
WHAT TO WEAR: Recommended dress is comfortable casual. You can also dress to impress in your best Dr. Seuss costume!
WHAT TO BRING: If you have a Dr. Seuss Reading Book that you’d like to donate to the classroom, please bring it! You’re also required to provide a photo ID on the day of the event to check in.
VOLUNTEER ROLES: Volunteers (in pairs of 2) will read an age appropriate Dr. Seuss book to the classroom they are assigned to. They will then lead the class in discussion and TEKS aligned activities that reinforce essential literacy skills. If gifting a book, the volunteers will also sign the book they have read to the class.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP: http://tinyurl.com/DrSeussReadingDay
February's Common Sense Media Digital Citizenship Lessons for K-2
Our next Common Sense Media will be about creative credit and copyright. Our parent flyer for this lesson can be found on the library website. In February, look in Tuesday folders for a parent flyer with information and tips for helping your child keep their private information safe.
Library Lessons for February
- Kindergarten will be discussing and reading fiction and non-fiction books.
- First grade will be focusing on inference and prediction.
- Second grade will be introduced to brand-new chapter books and practicing how to select a library book that is a good fit for their reading level using the Five Finger Rule.
- Fifth grade will get book recommendations for the fiction genres of adventures, fantasy, science fiction, and realistic fiction.
- Valentine'd Day
- Common Sense Media lesson on Creative Credit for K-2
- Finding and Selecting Reading Counts library books
Tape, Safety Gloves, and Scissors Needed for Library Makerspace Club!
OUR CURRENT MAJOR NEED INCLUDES: TAPE (any kind), SAFETY GLOVES, AND SCISSORS
We will accept anything for our Makerspace, since this is a creative space that will reuse and recycle most things for our projects, Our biggest needs now are LEGOs, sturdy work gloves, small tools, thread, fabrics, and electronics for our Take Apart Station.
Thank you for whatever support you can provide!
Check out our Library Website and Facebook Page
Keep up with Paloma Creek Library news by following our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/palomacreekelemlibrary/.
We are online! You can check out our library blog, read the web version of our monthly newsletter, and search our online library catalog on our library website at http://www.dentonisd.org/domain/4573.