Dixons Allerton Academy
Teaching and Learning Bulletin
Our weekly bulletin...
Don't forget the T&L Breakfast.... WEDNESDAY MORNING in the 6th form hub
Week 12 Focus: better homework
What's in it for me?
- Supports student progress
- Enhances student independence and ought to enhance engagement within lessons as welle
Offer students a range of set tasks for their homework- this should encourage ownership of homework, and ought to enhance their motivation to complete it. An excellent example can be seen here.
The Flipped Classroom
Anthony Agony Section...
I am struggling to keep on top of my marking, and I can see some students are starting to put less effort into their work in class time as a result- I'm just worried that if I try to keep up, then I'll just be buried under a pile of books.
There is, unfortunately, a hard truth to marking- you only really get out what you put in. However difficult your little lovelies are, they do appreciate and do benefit from the time you put into their books. The next time they are wavering on whether to bother with some work or not- your recent comment or question in their book might just make the difference.
This does NOT necessarily mean that you can't be smart about it to cut the workload. You can do this by-
- Being selective about what you mark- one piece of paragraphed work every couple of weeks is sufficient- a whole class can be done in around an hour
- Recognising that marking IS planning, and time to respond to feedback is something that is done during a lesson, and should take time from the lesson itself
- Using more specific success criteria in class- ask students to grade each other by labelling the work of a partner to show their success
- Make peer assessment a regular feature of review sections of your lesson- routines can be extremely powerful.
In the raffle for the Teaching and Learning book is:
Andy Sammons – Excellent work with Home Learning – nominated by Marcus Philpot
Andrea Dykxhoorn – Observed using differentiation to engage her students – nominated by Neil Miley
If DOLs have any nominations, please email email@example.com