School Nutrition Newsletter
June 17, 2020
COVID-19 Information and Updates
- The COVID-19 Newsletter page continues to be updated.
Updates this week include:
- P-EBT Updates
- CARES Act Information
- School City of Hammond on TODAY
- Summer Playbook
- Updated FAQ
- Parents or guardians with questions about Family and Social Service Administration's P-EBT benefits should use the following contact information:
- To check the status, find out if they are eligible, etc., families should contact 800-403-0864.
- To report a lost P-EBT card and request a new one, they will need to contact 877-768-5098.
- For more information about the P-EBT program, check out IDOE's COVID-19 Information webpage.
IDOE and Culinary Skills for A+ School Meals Virtual Culinary Skills Trainings
- Want to enhance your culinary skills? Looking for new ways to meet professional standard hours? Want to work smarter, not harder in the kitchen? Looking to improve the flavor of your school meals?
- IDOE and the Culinary Skills for A+ School Meals team are thrilled to bring our popular hands-on culinary skills trainings to you...virtually!
- Choose from 30 topics including knife skills, cooking whole grains, steaming and roasting vegetables, and new topics on special dietary needs, global cuisines, and more!
- These trainings will take place each day from 10:00 to 11:15 am EST over the course of six weeks, July 6 through August 14, to enhance your culinary portfolio and learn tips and tricks from the pros.
- Participants are able to register for as few or as many topics as they prefer.
- Participants will also receive 1.25 hours towards professional standards for each topic they attend.
- Click here for the calendar of topics.
- Click here to register.
- Questions? Contact Cathy Powers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
30 Day Carryover
- Eligibility benefits from the previous school year should carryover for the first 30 operating days into the new school year.
- Reminder! If a household submits a new application or is matched through Direct Certification (DC) within the 30 day carryover, schools must immediately apply the new eligibility, even if the new eligibility is lower than the previous school year (i.e. free to reduced, free to paid, or reduced to paid).
- The 30 day carryover applies to:
*Newly enrolled children who reside in a household where another child has an approved application or DC status from the previous year.
*Children transferring from one Local Educational Agency (LEA) to another, as long as the new LEA can obtain documentation that states the student was receiving benefits the previous school year.
*Children moving from LEAs that participated in a special Provision (i.e. Provision 1, 2, or 3 or CEP) to a non-provision school. Check out the Transferring Eligibility Fact Sheet for more information about this.
- While not required, schools are highly recommended to contact any households that have not reapplied for free and reduced (f/r) benefits before the 30 day carryover ends. This is a way to prevent a lapse in benefits or excess meal charging.
- On the 31st operating day, households that have not reapplied for f/r benefits must be changed to paid status.
- Click here for the 30 Day Carryover Fact Sheet.
- Click here for a 30 Day Carryover Calculator.
- Questions? Contact your Field Specialist.
Join the United Fresh Conference free and virtually!
- Hear how Indiana schools partnered with Chef Todd and The Produce Mom.
- Jill Overton, Food Service Director of Franklin Community Schools will be sharing her personal success story.
- This LIVE session will take place on Thursday, June 18 at 1 p.m. ET.
- Participants will receive one hour of professional development.
- Register here.
*NEW* USDA Foods Toolkit for New Food Service Directors
Indiana Department of Education - School and Community Nutrition
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.