Important Information for Students in the A+ Program
A+ Opportunities for Fall 2020
Due to starting the school year at a Level 2, the opportunities for A+ tutoring will be somewhat limited to start the school year. More detailed information is listed for each grade level below. Please be aware that there could be changes throughout the year depending on any updates we receive from the state and any changes related to COVID19 and the WSD Level of Learning. We will keep you updated should changes occur. Here are the highlights:
- There have been no changes to the A+ requirements for the Class of 2021 or beyond at this time (requirements listed below).
- Tutoring options are only available for Seniors for the Fall semester to allow Seniors the opportunity to earn all required hours prior to graduation.
- All tutoring options are in person only, there are no virtual tutoring options at this time.
- Job Shadowing for up to 12.5 hours is allowed for grades 10-12 during the Fall semester. Job shadowing may occur in person or through a virtual format.
A+ Program Requirements
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Enter into a written agreement with high school prior to graduation, by signing an A+ Participation Agreement (these can be picked up in the Counseling Office).
- Attend an A+ designated high school for two years prior to graduation.
- Maintain & graduate with a minimum cumulative 2.5 unweighted grade point average.
- Document 95% annual and cumulative school attendance record.
- Score "Proficient" or "Advanced" on any Math EOC Exam or earn a 17+ Math ACT subscore.
- Complete 50 hours of supervised tutoring within the Wentzville School District.
- Demonstrate a record of good citizenship during all 4 years of high school.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) senior year online @www.fafsa.gov (becomes available on October 1 of senior year).
*All eligible students must first attend a training and have an A+ Application and A+ Agreement on file prior to being approved to tutor in WSD.
- All seniors must watch a virtual training video and complete the A+ Fall Tutoring Google Form Prior to tutoring this Fall. You will earn 0.5 hours toward your tutoring requirement.
- The virtual training video will be sent to you via email as soon as it is ready, along with instructions for completing your A+ Application for Fall Tutoring.
- Chautauqua will be available after 12:30 on Wednesdays and on your at-home learning days. (If you attend AA, you can sign up for Chautauqua on BB, for example, understanding that you will then work on your classwork at another time for those hours)
- Chautauqua will be available after school.
- Virtual Academy students may sign up for Chautauqua during hours that are not direct instruction hours.
- Seniors may use a Teacher's Aide hour to earn A+ hours in the high school if it is a class that allows for tutoring and mentoring to occur. You may only count those hours in which you are working directly with students (not the time a teacher is teaching). Please check with Mrs. Nielsen (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get approval for a TA to count towards A+.
- If you have not yet earned 12.5 hours of job shadowing, you may complete a job shadow of up to 12.5 hours. You must get a job shadow pre-approved and complete the Job Shadow form and submit it to Mrs. Nielsen following the job shadow.
Juniors and Sophomores
- Unfortunately, we will not have tutoring available for juniors and sophomores this semester.
- You may complete a job shadow of up to 12.5 hours without attending a training, as long as you have an A+ agreement on file.
- You must get pre-approval for the job shadow by emailing Mrs. Nielsen (email@example.com) to describe the job shadow.
- You must complete the Job Shadow Form and submit it to Mrs. Nielsen following the job shadow.
- We will re-evaluate and send out an update should additional options become available.
As always, freshman should focus on establishing their gpa, attendance, and citizenship to work towards A+ eligibility. If you did not submit an A+ agreement, you may submit an A+ agreement at anytime. There is really no change for freshman at this time.