Tips for Tabling
Grab their attention & keep it!
Accomplish your goals
However, it definitely involves some planning ahead of time and follow-up afterwards. Check out the tips below!
Practice your elevator speech
Prepare a 60-second explanation
Have each person tabling rehearse this "elevator speech" in order to provide interested passers-by with a consistent message.
Remember! People join people. If you craft your elevator speech so it sounds like your personal story, interested students are more likely to feel a connection, to imagine themselves having a similar experience, and to join your group!
Make an enormous poster
That succinctly explains
Make a professional, visually interesting display at your table
You want your table to call out
to the random person and say, "Come here!" not, "We just pulled this together five minutes ago." Things to consider for your table's display:
- Information about your organization. What are you about?
- Information on your meetings and events.
- Sign-up sheets
- Brochures or business cards with your organization's contact and meeting information.
- Flyers promoting your first meeting or event or maybe an events calendar
- Scrapbook or small table display with (appropriate) photos
- Trophies, awards, or other relevant props/visuals
- Games are always a hit! Bring a giveaway, create a game or something interactive for interested students to play!
Power in numbers
Have at least two people
Consider how your table appears to others. Are your members crowding around and talking only to one another or does your body language welcome someone to stop by and ask questions?
Don't be afraid
Wrap Things Up
If you utilized a sign-up sheet to collect e-mails,
timely follow up is essential to capitalizing on the interest you gained from tabling. Within 48 hours, contact potential new members to do the following:
- Thank them for stopping by the table
- Ask if they have any questions
- Personally invite them to your next meeting
- Invite them to become a member of your organization on Owl Connect. Instructions on adding new members are outlined here.
Most importantly, Have fun!
Fall Student Org Fair
Wednesday, Sep. 9th, 12-3pm
Bell Tower, Philadelphia, PA, United States
Did you know Student Activities has over 300 registered student organizations? At the Student Organization Fair, many of these organizations will be at the Bell Tower to answer questions and recruit new members. If you’re looking to get involved in an organization this year, the Student Organization Fair is the place to start!
In the event of rain, the Student Org Fair will be relocated indoors! We will most likely announce the change via Facebook and Twitter if it rains.