SMCHS News Update
Thursday, May 20, 2021
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Friday, May 21: Pep Band Concert, Zephyrs Fields @7:00pm
Monday, May 24 and Tuesday, May 25: Senior Finals
Monday, May 24: Senior Graduation Meeting @2:50pm
Wednesday, May 26:
- Early release for grades 9-11 (11:30am)
- Baccalaureate Mass @9:00am at St. Gabe's (seniors only)
- Graduation Rehearsal @1:00pm (seniors and staff)
- Graduation Ceremony @6:30pm Zephyrs Fields
Friday, May 28: No School--Professional Development
Monday, May 31:
- No School--Memorial Day
- SMC Band in Neenah/Menasha Memorial Day Parade
Tuesday, June 1:
- Zephyrs Spirit Wear Day
- Grades 9-11 A Day Finals
Wednesday, June 2:
- Grades 9-11 B Day Finals
- End of School Year Mass @2:50pm
Thursday, June 3: Grades 9-11 make up finals as needed
For a complete calendar listing, view our Google calendar online.
Wednesday, May 26 Early Release (11:30am)
End of the School Year Student/Family Mass
Final Exam Information
As we head into semester two finals, please review the following important information:
- Final exams: Monday, May 24 and Tuesday, May 25 as scheduled by teachers.
- All students debts must be paid (lunch balance or other) by Friday, May 21.
- Tuesday, June 1st Finals for hours 1, 2, 5 and 6
- Wednesday, June 2nd Finals for hours 3, 4, 7 and 8
- Thursday, June 3rd Make-up exams as scheduled. If no make-up exams are required, students do not need to report to school.
- All students debts must be paid (lunch balance or other) by Wednesday, May 26.
- Students are required to be in school on Tuesday, June 1 and Wednesday, June 2 the same times as a regular school day. The bell schedule is the same and lunch will be served as usual. Students are not required to be in school on Thursday, June 3rd unless they have a make-up exam scheduled
- Students must remain in the exam classroom for the entire testing period. They should plan ahead for the possibility that they might finish early by brining study or reading material with them. There will be a scheduled break during the 93-minute class time
- Student are expected to be in their regularly scheduled study hall hour and location.
- Relaxed dress code is allowed on exam days.
- Please do not plan appointments or trips on exam days.
- Please join us to celebrate at an end of the year mass at 2:50pm on Wednesday, June 2.
Countdown to Graduation 2021!
Graduation is next week! Please use this LINK to view graduation events and important information.
Academic Summer School Opportunities
- Courses offered are GROWING UP HEALTHY and FINANCE EDUCATION.
- The classes are open to students entering grades 9-12.
- Each student can only register for one of the classes.
- Cost of each course is $75.
- Registration closes on May 28, 2021.
- A staff member will monitor student's progress and be available for additional help.
- Student will receive a 1/2 credit toward health or business once the class is successfully completed.
- SMCHS transcripts will include completed class information and l receive a "P" (pass) for completion of the course. Letter grades will not be awarded.
- Please use this link for a more detailed class description and to register: SUMMER ONLINE CLASS REGISTRATION
Please contact Patti Fouts with questions.
Spring Sports Pictures
The 2021 SMCHS Spring Sports Pictures are available for purchase! To order, please use the following steps:
- Go to www.scanlanstudios.com
- On the Home Page click on Online Viewing.
- Then click on Sports/Dance/Schools.
- You will then find SMCHS Spring Sports '21 and click on it.
- The Access Code is: z21spring
- Use the team names on the left-hand side to view your team and individual sports photos.
- After choosing an image you can click "Buy" and choose your package or product.
SMC Summer Sports Opportunities
Spring Sports Updates
Baseball: Overall record 8-1; Big East Conference record 5-1 (tied for 2nd).
Golf: The Golf Team has placed very well at meets and is one of the top teams in the conference.
Girls Soccer: Overall record 5-0-1; Big East Conference record 3-0 (tied for 1st).
Softball: Overall record 3-5; Big East Conference record 3-2 (tied for 5th).
Track and Field: Both the boys and girls teams placed very well at meets, with some great individual performances. SMC is hosting two meets on our new track--a Big East Conference North Division Meet on May 27 and the WIAA Regional Meet on June 14.
Boys Tennis: Overall 9-2; conference record 3-0. Currently ranked 12th in the state of 180 schools that offer boys tennis. SMC is hosting the WIAA sub sectional meet for boys tennis on Monday, June 6.
- There are still SEVERAL openings for volunteers for spring sports. Please sign up to help our spring sports be successful! SPRING SPORT VOLUNTEER SIGN UP
- Check the BIG EAST WEBSITE for competition schedules. Golf, track and field, girls soccer, baseball, boys tennis and softball are all underway! Spectators are allowed!
- Please keep in mind that for students to participate in co-curricular practices, rehearsals, meetings, etc., students must be in school by 12:00 p.m. and stay through the end of the day on the day of the scheduled activity, unless pre-arranged and/or excused by the administration. To participate in co-curricular competitions such as performances and games, students much be in school the entire school day. Students who are too tired or ill to attend classes are also too tired or ill to perform in co-curricular activities. Exceptions to this rule include serious illness or death in the immediate family, medical or dental appointments that cannot otherwise be avoided; and special situations for which prior approval has been obtained from the administration.
Spirit Store Sale!
Everyone--take 20% off of all generic SMC apparel using the code ZEPHYRS.
Link to shop: Spirit Store Always open!
Fox Valley Sailing School
SMCS Equestrian Team
The SMCS Equestrian Team competes in the Wisconsin Interscholastic Horsemanship Association (WIHA). The team is open to SMCS students in grades 6 to 12 who are experienced riders in pleasure, speed, or show jumping. (This is not a learn-to-ride program.)
The season runs August 1 to December 1 of each school year. If you are interested in learning more about the team and competitions, contact Pam Seidl (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Host an International Student!
We are looking for families to host international students attending SMCHS for the 2021-22 school year. Hosting an exchange student is a great opportunity for your family to benefit from a cultural experience. There is a monthly stipend and a $1,000 tuition credit to host families. What a great way to make a St. Mary Catholic Schools education more affordable for your family and to help our school with this important program. If you would like more information or to discuss this opportunity in greater detail, please contact Sue Thelen.
SCHOOL COUNSELING NEWS
2021 Virtual Wisconsin Private College Week
Private College Week, July 12 - 17, 2021 features unique, online open houses at Wisconsin’s private college campuses. Take a tour of 23 campuses, connect with admission and financial aid advisors, get to know professors, learn about the residence halls, find out about dining options, and chat with current students. With special events all week, this is a great time to explore campuses from home.
Virtual Information Sessions
Admission representatives from the University of Notre Dame, Washington University in St. Louis, Johns Hopkins University, and Emory University (NWHE) are hosting a virtual information session for students and their families this Sunday, May 23 from 4:00 - 5:00 pm EDT. RSVP here in order to receive the Zoom link. Each admission officer will share about their institution for a few minutes before responding to live and pre-submitted questions.
WACAC – Navigating College Admissions
The Wisconsin Association for College Admission Counseling (WACAC) is hosting a four-part series about navigating college admissions. This afternoon, May 19, there will be two presentations: a Student Panel from 3:30-4:15pm and Easing Anxieties about the College Process from 4:15-5:00pm. These two sessions plus “Finding the Right College Fit” and “Your Guide to Financial Aid” will be recorded and posted to www.wacac.com/navigatingadmissions in approximately one week.
PSAT for Juniors - Save the Date
The PSAT/NMSQT test date is Wednesday, October 13. The PSAT/MNSQT is the qualifying test for students to enter the National Merit Scholarship program; this is an optional test for juniors. More information about National Merit Scholarship Program can be found at www.nationalmerit.org. College Board and Khan Academy have partnered to offer free practice and review tests.
Seniors--Final Transcripts and Transcript Requests
Seniors should set the attending college and request a final transcript in Naviance before graduation. Instructions can be found in Naviance > From My School > How to Videos.
High school transcripts needed after graduation should be requested through Parchment. Go to SMCHS > Access Transcripts > Alumni. You will be directed to create an account for Parchment and may request all future transcripts through this account.
Any college credits earned during high school must also be communicated to the college/university you plan to attend by requesting a transcript from the school where the credit was earned. Requesting transcripts is the responsibility of the student and should be done soon after the course is complete to avoid any delay in college/university course registration.
Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity
The Minnesota/Wisconsin reciprocity agreement allows Wisconsin residents to attend Minnesota public universities at in-state tuition rates. If you are attending a Minnesota public institution this fall, you can fill out tuition reciprocity forms here.
Midwest Student Exchange Program
The Midwest Student Exchange Program, or MSEP, is a multi-state tuition reciprocity program. Through the MSEP, public institutions agree to charge students no more than 150% of the in-state resident tuition rate for specific programs; private institutions offer a 10% reduction on their tuition rates. Click here for more information and participating institutions in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Ohio.
Students can see how AP courses will transfer at UW System campuses here. Students will be able to narrow their search by selecting either specific campuses and/or courses they would like to see equivalencies for. Please note that students who have specific questions about their credits transferring should reach out to the school they are applying to.
ACT Test Prep
ACT Test Prep will be hosting an in-person class (at Xavier) June 7-10 from 4:00pm--7:15pm and an online class July 12-15 from 4:00pm--7:15pm. Register here. Students will also find free ACT test prep in Naviance > From My School > Free Test Prep Kaplan.
2021 Advanced Placement Exam Schedule
Friday May 21 at 8:00am--AP Spanish Language
Monday, May 24 at 12:00pm--AP Physics
Thursday, June 3 at 11:00am--AP Modern World History
Thursday, June 10 at 3:00pm--AP Statistics
University of Wisconsin System Updates
- UW System Practice Application: https://practiceapp.wisconsin.edu/
- Check Application Status: https://uwhelp.wisconsin.edu/application-review-timetable/ Check to see how long it typically takes all UW schools to review applications and make an admissions decision!
- Placement Testing Registration: Students enrolling for Fall 2021 can now register for placement testing at: https://exams.wisc.edu/placement/regionaltesting/information.php
- One-on-One Sessions: Students wanting assistance with the online application can schedule a virtual 15-minute session with a UW HELP Outreach Specialist here: https://calendly.com/uwhelp/session and COVID-19 Admissions Updates and COVID-19 Resources page
Updates for Student Athletes
The NCAA Eligibility Center has released updates for student athletes. Learn more about initial eligibility here. The NAIA Eligibility Center has announced that students graduating high school in 2022 can now receive early eligibility decisions, provided their transcript is complete through junior year. Students must complete their profile before the transcript request option will appear in the portal.
Healthcare VCE Events
Virtual Career Experience events are online, live interactions with a local healthcare professional. Students will learn about the professional’s academic and career journey, his/her daily routine, starting or average salary, and types of patients seen throughout a day. Participating students will have the opportunity to ask professionals questions. Visit the website for schedules and registration information.
UW System Application Fees Waived
The University of Wisconsin (UW) System has announced a no cost application fee for most UW campuses for approximately the next two years. Students who have already submitted applications prior to December 11, 2020, but have not yet submitted payment, will still be required to pay the application fee; it will not be retroactively applied to already submitted applications. UW campuses that continue to require the application fee are UW-Eau Claire Region, UW-La Crosse, and UW-Madison.