Art Therapy Monthly Newsletter
What does an Art Therapy Group look like?
Every art therapist is different, but the groups run by me follow the following format:
1) Sign-In: All participants in Promise House Art Therapy Groups must sign in on a sign-in sheet for documentation purposes. During the sign-in process, the purpose of the group is reviewed for new members as well as the group's social contract (TLP/WI groups) or behavior expectations (EYS groups).
2) Icebreaker: Group members share what their weeks were like and/or play some form of game with the purpose to get to know each other.
3) Introduction of Topic: Group members start exploring the session's topic by either discussing the topic as a whole group or with a small group; work on a worksheet; watch a relevant video; play a game; etc. TLP and WI group topics stem from their art therapy goals. EYS group topics alternate between stress management, self-image, or social skills.
4) Art Directive: Group members are given directions for an art project that relates to the topic. Group members work on the art projects for 20-30 minutes.
5) Processing/Conclusion: After group members are done working on their art project/cleaning up, they come back as a whole group to share and discuss what they had worked on, what feelings relate to what they have worked on, what thoughts, behaviors, etc. Group members are encouraged to share what they are comfortable with sharing.
Art Therapy Group Schedule: June 2016
TLP: Every other Tuesday from 6:30-7:30pm
- June 7
- June 21
Wesley Inn: Every other Tuesday from 6:30-7:30 pm
- NO GROUP JUNE 14
- June 28
Emergency Youth Shelter: Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 pm
- June 1 (Girls)
- NO GROUP JUNE 8 AND JUNE 15
- June 22 (Boys)
- June 29 (Girls)
Does an event conflict with a group??
Would one of your clients like to make art between art therapy sessions?
Zentangles are a meditative form of drawing patterns. See the video below for a tutorial!
Supplies needed: Paper, black felt tip pen, pencils, markers
About Jenni Colón
I earned my Licensed Professional Counselor - Intern (LPC-Intern) credential in 2013 and am currently working towards my full LPC and ATR (registered art therapist) credentials. My LPC supervisor is Keri Stitt and my ATR supervisior is Dr. Maria LaVorgna-Smith.