A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
January 18, 2022
The Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time at the beginning of each week to review our newsletter. Thank you!
A Message from Mrs. Katkocin
Dear Scotland Families,
Happy Tuesday! I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend, and had time to relax and spend time together as a family. Our COVID-19 screenings for families who have opted in will continue this week, today, January 18th, beginning at 8:50am. If you would like to opt your child in, kindly indicate so in PowerSchool, and notify Mrs. Martire (email@example.com) and Mr. Crook (firstname.lastname@example.org). Once your child is fully vaccinated please email Aaron Crook email@example.com to remove your child from the testing roster.
Please find some important information from from Dr. Da Silva in her letter to the community on 1/14/2022:
Our Parent Workshop Series continues next week, with our third parent presentation on Thursday, January 20th, at 9:30 a.m. This workshop is called, “How Students Learn Mathematics”. In this workshop, K-12 math leaders will share what instruction looks like across the levels and how the mathematical practice standards teach students to think like mathematicians. Similar to past parent workshops, parents will be given a link prior to and during the presentation (on the YouTube Channel under the video), for questions. Those questions will be answered live during the presentation or responded to in email.
In this week’s episode we get a quick update from the Director of Nursing Services, Aaron Crook. We discuss the new changes in Covid policy/procedures for schools, answer some commonly asked questions, and run through our process in interpreting these guidelines. Thanks for listening! RPS NEWS FOUND here!
Health and Safety
This week the CT DPH issued a FAQ of updated considerations for COVID-19 quarantine, isolation, testing and contact tracing practices in CT schools. The FAQ can be found here.
RPS now has a supply of rapid at home tests for both staff and students. These tests will be distributed by the school nurse for any staff or student who is symptomatic for COVID-19 and has been in the school building within the last 48 hours. Each of our main offices has a supply of N95 masks available to all faculty and staff who request them.
Kindergarten Registration is coming soon. If you have a child turning 5 before January 1, 2023 please contact the main office at (203) 894-5825. More information will be forthcoming!
Our essentials schedule will be changing, effective January 25th, which is an A day. Students in grades K, 1, 2 will get an extra session of library in their 6-day rotation, and students in grades 3, 4, 5 will get and extra session of music in their 6-day rotation. This is a switch from the first half of the year. Please find the essentials schedule for the second half of the year below.
Connecticut Invention Convention is Coming!!
Snaps around Scotland 📸
Happy Special Birthday, Mr. Joe!! 🎈
Events and Happenings 🗓
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, January 17th:
- No School - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 18th:
- B Day
Wednesday, January 19th:
- C Day
Thursday, January 20th :
- D Day
Friday, January 21st:
- E Day
- Wear your Scotty Spiritwear!!
Tuesday, February 15th:
- Tentative Date for Winter Concert
- Grade 4 - 6pm
- Grade 5 - 6:45pm
Essentials Schedule - Beginning 1/25/2022
A Note from Our PTA
The PTA Needs You! Volunteers Wanted!
We're so excited to get parents involved again at SES! We're so LUCKY to be able to offer opportunities for you to help our kiddos and our school!!
Volunteering with the PTA allows you to contribute your skills and knowledge for the benefit of both your own children and the greater school community. You’ll also meet and make new friends!
Please fill out the form and you'll hear back from us soon!
CLICK HERE to find out all the ways YOU can make a difference this year - opportunities available for those with extra time and those with little time!)
Important Information to Keep Handy! 📝
Welcome Back Library Volunteers!
Click on the links here or find them on the SES PTA WEBSITE:
Please contact Amy Tomasco at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- School Lunch will be available from the first day of school. Chartwells is the District-wide food service provider. The school lunch menu is available online on the RPS website; click District Offices and click on Food Service, as well as below.
- School lunch will continue to be free during the 21-22 school year. Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. These items can be prepaid online at School Payment Portal Powered By LunchTime Software and at the school kitchen.
- Questions in regard to Lunch Time POS can be directed to John Morris, RPS Food Service Director at 203-894-5550 x1127 or email@example.com
We will follow a similar drop off / pick up procedure that we did last year.
- Drop off begins at 8:30am. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:30am as there will be no supervision at this time.
- Pick up will begin at 3:20pm.
- Each day, please have your child(ren)’s first and last name displayed on your passenger visor, and have it remain visible until your child is in the car. This needs to be bold and large enough to be visible at a distance. This is a very important step to ensure we have your child ready when you arrive.
- For the safety of both students and staff, proceed carefully and slowly through the lot.
- Please have your child exit/enter the vehicle when your gear is in the park position and is one of the cars at the front of the line designated for drop off.
- Students must exit the vehicle on the passenger side (building side) of the vehicle. Multiple children must exit on the passenger side. It is dangerous to exit/enter on the driver's side of the vehicle!
- Students need to have all of their items ready in hand and will then exit the car immediately.
- Parents, please stay in your vehicle at all times so that the process will prevent backups on Barlow Mountain Road.
- If you miss the drop off time (after 8:45 a.m.), please park in the front lot and walk your child across the designated crosswalk to the main entrance of the building. If you arrive after the drop off window and must park in the parking lot, we ask that you kindly use the crosswalk.
School Dismissal Manager
We will continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!