DECEMBER 14, 2022
CLINTON TECHNICAL SCHOOL RECEIVES $400,000 GRANT
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) recently awarded Clinton Technical School a $400,000 grant.
This Missouri Area Career Center Opportunity (MACCO) Grant provides funding to enhance the state’s Career and Technical Education (CTE) capacity by providing more opportunities for CTE students while updating and modernizing career centers’ infrastructure and equipment.
At Clinton Technical School, this grant will be used for the following projects:
- Enhance school security with the installation of security gates to secure the back entrances to the school.
- Demolition of the school’s current storage building, and the rebuilding of a new building that is three times the size of the current building. As an added bonus, this new storage facility will provide shade to the district’s tennis courts.
- Roof and building repair to protect and enhance the investment our community has made in the CTS building since its initial construction 50 years ago.
This grant required a match of 25% from districts. The Clinton School District will be providing an additional $133,000 from district funds to support the projects above.
Clinton Technical School serves 195 students from Clinton High School and 11 area high schools. The school’s six programs provide students with employability skills, technical knowledge, and the training they need to either continue their education after high school or enter directly into the workforce.
The Clinton School District is excited to join other school districts across the region in celebrating teachers on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
In December, we celebrated and recognized the outstanding work of Clinton Middle School Family and Consumer Science teacher and FCCLA advisor, Mrs. Liane Hager. Liane has been an educator for 14 years, 6 of those years here in the Clinton School District. During this time, she has impacted hundreds of students. Liane does an amazing job of living out the values of the Clinton School District, as she ALWAYS puts students first! There is always a waiting list of students wanting to take Mrs. Hager's classes. Liane is a natural at building positive relationships with all students, all while holding them to a high standard of conduct and academic achievement. Mrs. Hager takes every opportunity to teach students life skills through her classes and FCCLA. From volunteer work, to preparing meals for the board of education and CMS staff, the students are consistently serving others. On top of service during the school day, Mrs. Hager also oversees all middle school concessions and coaches the CMS girls' basketball team.
"I am proud to be a teacher so that I can have a positive influence on youth in our community and teach life skills that are so important. I love building relationships with students that last for years to come and watch them grow into adults, have families and careers."
CHS WELCOMES FOREIGN EXCHANGE STUDENTS
Clinton High School is enjoying the opportunity to have 5 foreign exchange students join them this year.
- Huda Ali - Pakistan
- Marta Mayoral Aguado - Spain
- Britta Hanzel - Germany
- Sergio Vazquez Leret - Spain
- Fiona Dittner - Germany
Recently, these students took time to share their home country with students at Clinton High School during a school assembly. Each student talked about how their home country is different than ours in a variety of ways.
STUDENTS READY TO BEGIN HEALTHCARE CAREER
Since 2010, the Practical Nursing Program at Clinton Technical School has proven to be a successful post-secondary program.
On Saturday, December 3rd, the district graduated another 17 students from this program. This group of graduates joins the 200+ students who have also successfully completed this program at CTS in the last 12 years.
From partnerships with GVMH, to the ability to enter into the RN program at SFCC, students who graduate from the Clinton Technical School Practical Nursing Program receive a great start to their healthcare career.
Congratulations to all students, as well as their instructors, Marla Gaston (PN Program Director and Instructor), Tanya Snethen (PN Instructor) and Melissa Bedwell (PN Instructor).
BEGINNING WITH THE END
As part of the Leader in Me program, students at Henry Elementary School have been learning about Habit #2, "Begin with the End in Mind". This habit focuses on having a plan, setting goals, being prepared, and considering how choices affect one's future.
To help students understand Habit #2, kindergarteners in Mrs. Potter's class are working on goal-setting. Each student worked one-on-one with Mrs. Potter and chose a personal or academic goal to focus on.
Leader in Me is an evidence-based model that helps build leadership and life skills, while also supporting academic growth and achievement.
THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF ART
Mrs. McCoy's art students at Henry Elementary School and Clinton Intermediate School are not only having fun creating, but they are learning great art techniques and art history along the way! Check out what they are learning about!
- 4th graders used toys to create observational 3D drawings. They drew toys using lines, space, and texture to create form. Fourth graders also used their imaginations and map skills to create treasure maps.
- 5th graders learned how repetition of shapes and colors, while using radial balance, can create the art of mandalas. They then carefully created their own mandalas using melted crayons over skillets.
- 2nd graders used the transfer process to copy print-outs of musical instruments. Students also learned about monochromatic art inspired by Pablo Picasso’s Blue Era to paint their instruments.
See more pictures here.
THE IMPORTANCE OF PRECISION
Machine Tool Technology students in Mr. Noble's class are working on their very first milling project.
Students used a Bridgeport Manual Milling Machine to create a 6-piece puzzle that, if machined correctly, fits together as shown. Throughout this multi-step project, students had multiple opportunities to practice many different competencies that machinists must master to become proficient in the trade.
Students learned the importance of precision, and that for their puzzle to fit together correctly there was very little room for error. For example, when students calculated their cutter compensation, they could be off no more than 0.005 inches...the equivalent of the thickness of three sheets of paper!
Pictured here is student, Ben McKeehan.
Clinton Schools will not be in session December 19-January 3.
School staff will have a work day and professional development on January 2 and 3. Students will return on January 4.
We wish all of our Cardinals a wonderful holiday season!
CHRISTMAS FAMILY PHOTO
Need family photos?
Clinton Intermediate School wants to take your family's Christmas picture! Stop by CIS on Thursday, 12/15, between 4:30-6:00 for a FREE family photo!
See flyer below for more details.
CECC SCAVENGER HUNT
If you have preschool-age children, make sure you take part in CECC's scavenger hunt, pictures with Santa and MORE this Thursday, 12/15.
See flyer below for more details.
WINTER WEATHER REMINDERS
Cold weather is here, which means it's the perfect time to do a quick refresher on how the district communicates school closures due to inclement weather!
- SOCIAL MEDIA-The first notification you will receive about a school closure will come from our district's social media pages (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- TEXT, EMAIL, APP, AND PHONE-This will quickly be followed by a text message, email, app notification and phone call. The successful delivery of this information is dependent upon accurate contact information obtained from school records. If your contact information changes, please let your child's school office know as soon as possible. Only those who have opted-in to receive text messages (text Y to 67587 from the cell number the district has on file for you), or those who have downloaded the district app (search for Clinton School District on your App Store or Google Play) will receive the text message and app notification.
- WEBSITE-This information will also be placed on our district webpage, www.clintoncardinals.org.
- NEWS MEDIA-The cancellation info will also be provided to KDKD and Kansas City news stations.
NOTICE OF SCHOOL BOARD FILING
The Board Secretary of the Clinton School District #124 will accept declarations of candidacy from any person interested in running for a position on the Clinton Board of Education to be elected at the annual election on April 4, 2023.
Persons interested may file at the Administration Building, 701 S. Eighth Street, Clinton, MO 64735 starting at 8:30 a.m. on December 6, 2022, and will continue during regular business hours, which are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. With the exception of the first and last day of filing, filing will not occur on days that the Administration Building is closed due to inclement weather or in the event of closure due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Filing will also not occur on the following days during the holiday season: December 23, 2022 and December 26, 2022. Candidates may call (660) 885-2237 ext. 3004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding filing. Filing will end on December 27, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. Names will appear on the April ballot in order of filing.
There are three (3) positions available, all of which are three year terms. Candidates must be citizens of the United States and resident tax payers of the district, who have resided in Missouri for one year preceding their election or appointment. Candidates must also be at least 24 years of age; be current on state and local taxes; have not been found guilty of or pled guilty to a felony under Missouri or federal law; are not registered or required to register as a sex offender; and have filed required campaign documents for all previous campaigns, if any.
All board members initially elected or appointed in this succeeding election shall successfully complete 18.5 hours of orientation and training within their first 12 months of service as required in Section 162.203 RSMo.
CHRISTMAS PROGRAMS AND CONCERTS
Clinton School District students have been practicing hard and are looking forward to sharing their musical talents with their family, friends and our community on the dates below.
- Clinton Intermediate School Cardinal Choristers and Ukulele Club Concert-December 15th @ 7:00 @ PAC
- Clinton High School Band Showcase-December 21st @ 5:30 @ Cardinal Stadium
The winter sports season is upon us, and we want to make sure you know where you can catch our Cardinals in action this season!
The Clinton High School and Clinton Middle School athletic calendar can now be found on the HOME PAGE of the district website (www.clintoncardinals.org). Click on the "Athletics/Activities" tab at the top (see image 1 below) and here you will find athletic/activity information, including the calendar for all activities (see image 2 below).
Some important things to note:
- You no longer need to navigate to the high school or middle school webpages to find athletic events for either of these schools. All events are on the calendar mentioned above.
- As changes are made to the schedule, this calendar will be updated to reflect those changes.
- If you see "more events" listed on a date, please click it to view other calendar events for that day.
- Download our app (Clinton School District) to easily access the calendar. Choose the "athletics" icon in the middle of the page (see image 3 below) to find all athletic information and calendar.
- If you would like an additional way to stay informed of activity changes, the Activities Department has created a Remind link-https://www.remind.com/join/9388ck. There is a cap of 150 members per link. PLEASE ONLY JOIN ONCE!
- Don't forget to follow the Clinton Cardinal Activities Facebook page to stay informed!
SOCIAL MEDIA DIRECTORY
Did you know that several teachers and groups in our district use social media as a communication tool for sharing information with parents and our community?
Make sure you check out our Social Media Directory at at the link below. It can also be found on our website under the "Stay Connected" tab.
If you would like to receive text messages regarding transportation-related issues (ie, buses running late, buses being combined, etc.) please complete the form below.
Please be aware this is for transportation-related communication ONLY.
**AFTER PROVIDING YOUR NUMBER ON THE FORM, YOU MUST TEXT Y TO 67587. IF YOU FAIL TO DO THIS, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES.**
The district has the following job openings. You can learn more and apply online at this link:
- Substitute Teachers
- Speech Language Pathologist (Henry)
- Head Track Coach (CMS)
- Head Tennis Coach (CHS)
- School Nurse (CIS, 22/23 school year only)
- PLTW Teacher (CMS, 23-34 school year)
- K-2 Teacher (Henry, 23-24 school year)
SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR
The district calendar can be found below.
You can find a dedicated website calendar for the district and each building at the links below. You can also subscribe to each calendar to have events uploaded to your personal online calendar.
Clinton Early Childhood Center calendar
Henry Elementary School calendar
Clinton Intermediate School calendar
Clinton Middle School calendar
Clinton High School calendar
Clinton Technical School calendar
Communications and Community Relations Director
660-885-6101 ext. 2209