Mrs. Platz's Class Newsletter
September 16, 2016
Looking Ahead: Week of September 19th
- Sat. 3-4pm Pathfinder New Addition Celebration/ 4-6pm Back To School Carnival (Hope to see some of you there!)
- Mon. B Day
- Tues. C Day - Bank Day
- Wed. D Day - PTA Chick Fil A Night
- Thurs. E Day
- Fri. A Day - Spelling Checkpoint Today- Writing & Reading Homework due - Friday Snacks - Bennett
Your First Grader Has Been Working On...
- building up our stamina for independent reading time.
- solving word problems that involve comparing, using addition and subtraction to help find a missing addend, and constructing math arguments using addition and subtraction.
- learning about two of America's symbols: the eagle and the Statue of Liberty. See if your student can tell you which country gave us this statue! Ask your first grader why is the eagle a symbol of America?
- writing, reading, and recognizing the "short a" sound. We have been working to be ready for our Spelling Checkpoint/Assessment on Friday. Look for these to come home on Monday.
- using the five finger rule to help find a "good fit" book.
Due next Friday:
- writing assignment - Tell us about a friend you've met this year! Please make sure to use pencils when working on this assignment. Let me know if you are in need of pencils at home to complete homework.
- practice for our spelling checkpoint on Friday - "short e" word list and sight words. Need a way to practice? Use my Spelling City link to practice the words online: https://www.spellingcity.com/Platz2014/
- read 4 books and add to book log.