November 17, 2020
Cap and Gown Order Deadline - Nov. 30
Driver's Ed - Sign Up Before Nov. 20
- Durham Public Schools will reopen its Driver’s Education course through a virtual classroom format. The registration window for the Driver’s Education course will open November 16 at 8:00 a.m. and will close on November 20 at 5:00 p.m. Middle College students would need to register under their base school. Please visit https://www.dpsnc.net/Driver-Education for more detailed information. For questions regarding driver’s education with Durham Public Schools, please contact Dave Roberson at (919) 560-3702.
House for All Students - Nov. 20
Counselor's Corner with Ms. Machak
- Say Something Anonymous Training Make-Up – If you missed last Friday’s training, please fill out this Doodle Poll by Wednesday 11/18, for your availability Friday 11/20 for the make-up training. https://doodle.com/poll/m64m72b3rcsdeshr?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link
- Friday November 20th at 11AM is HOUSE – Mrs. Hester has arranged for a guest presenter to hold a workshop on Resume Writing. Even those who already have a resume will benefit from the skills discussed at this workshop, so get excited!
- Holiday Re-Leaf at Home will be held December 3rd at 6:30pm – This is a program to help students and parents explore traditions and cope with grief during the holidays and other special days. To register please call Tracy Lamar a 919-815-0592 or Tracy.Lamar@duke.edu. Check out the flyer below for more information – there is a $15 fee per family.
- North Carolina School of Science and Math Programming
- Check out this Flyer for information on ALL their programs
- The application for Summer Ventures program is open. Check out more information on their website here. Application is due January 15th, so learn about the hands-on experiences offered through this exciting summer program.
- The Open Enrollment program allows NC public high school students to take tuition-free, honors-level and AP NCSSM courses via interactive video conferencing. These courses make it possible for students to take advanced courses in STEM and humanities subjects while remaining at their home schools. Students cannot register for Open Enrollment courses on your own, so please make an appointment with Mrs. Machak if you are interested.
- Spanish Language College Financial Aid Session Mon. Nov. 30th at 6pm
- Equitable Excellence Scholarship due December 15th
- Students have the opportunity to receive a $2,500, $10,000 or $25,000 scholarship
- Apply here
Virtual College Tours
Although visiting campuses is difficult right now, our four-year university partners still warmly welcome your virtual visits. Below are opportunities to learn about degree programs, transfer admissions, financial aid, and more.
East Carolina University
You can drop in for a virtual visit to ask questions on November 18, 10 a.m. - noon.
UNC Chapel Hill School of Nursing
Learn more about UNC Chapel Hill’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing on Wednesday, November 18, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Join here.
ECU Pirate Promise - Nov. 18
Know Any Future Mavericks?
Sign up at the link below!
- November 20th at 9am
- November 23rd at 6pm
- December 2nd at 6pm
- December 10th at 6pm
- January 12th at 9am
- January 19th at 6pm
Thanksgiving Break - Nov. 25-27
Duke Students Offer Free Tutoring in High School Classes
Audacity Labs is pleased to announce that starting this week, all DPS high schoolers can schedule tutoring with Duke students for support with math and literacy on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Tutoring will take place over Zoom through four, 30 min. slots on these evenings from 6:30pm-8:30pm. These sessions are entirely free in pursuit of providing the needed academic support for success in a virtual environment. I have attached a video tutorial of how to go about setting up a tutoring session on these evenings.
We have been enabled to provide this support with our newly formed partnership with Duke's America Reads America Counts chapter. Each of these tutors have undergone extensive training to work with diverse populations of students with a trauma-informed care approach. Our tutors have also all passed a background check.
You can find the link to schedule tutor sessions here: https://www.audacitylabs.org/schedulingevents