Wednesday, January 23, 2019
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCE scheduling for our winter conferences will begin next Wednesday, Jan. 30. The morning of Jan. 30, you will receive an email with a link and instructions on how to schedule your conferences. Parent Teacher conferences will be held Tuesday, Feb. 12, and Thursday, Feb. 14, from 5:00-7:30 pm (note times). We hope that all parents will take this opportunity to meet with their child’s teacher(s) during one of those two times. Please schedule with only 3 teachers per student. All appointments will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis. The February round of parent teacher conferences is optional. They are scheduled by either parent or teacher request. We will not automatically schedule a conference if they are not requested. Elementary conferences will be 12 minutes in length, except for Preschool which will be 6 minutes. All elementary conferences will be held in your child’s classroom. IPOD conferences will be changed to 6 minutes each and you can schedule to see more than one of the IPOD teachers. They will be set up in the elementary gym. Middle school conferences will also be 6 minutes. These conferences will be held at the elementary gym as well.
REGISTRATION FOR 2019-20 EARLY CHILDHOOD CLASSES IS HAPPENING NOW!
FIESTA FUN NIGHT
Date: Friday, February 1
Time: 5:30-7:30 pm
Requested Donation: $7/person or max of $25/family - Includes dinner and all activities.
Proceeds will be going to the Spanish Immersion Program to buy library books, build shelves in their book lab and to purchase more books for the book lab.
Activities: Bounce houses, festival games, music, cake walk, balloon animals
Menu (catered by Enza’s):
Beef and chicken
Come join us in supporting the growing Spanish Immersion Program! Volunteer to help by using this Sign-up Genius link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CABAD28A57-fiesta
LET'S GO SKIING
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - Jan. 25 - All School Small Groups
Next Worship: - Feb. 1 - Mrs. Vredevoogd
- Join us again this Thursday, Jan. 24, from 8:45-9:45 am, for Stay and Play in the Community Room. We will be looking at nursery rhymes and their importance for setting your young child up for success in school and reading. Parents, care givers and young children are welcome.
- Next week is Book Week. Our theme this year is Get a Clue... Read! The students will be busy trying to solve a mystery and also reading lots of books! This year we will not have a book character parade. We'll look forward to that again next year.
- Parents of Preschool and Kindergarten age students - Have you registered your student for classes this coming fall? If not, please do this as soon as possible as some classes are filling! Please inform neighbors, friends and family members who may not be aware that registration is taking place now! Thank you!!
- There are a lot of dates that could use volunteer parents for lunchtime classroom coverage. We like to provide lunch time classroom coverage on Thursdays for teachers so they can enjoy lunch with their colleagues! Sign up here to volunteer!! Thanks for your help! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea4a82cab9-thursday4
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - Jan. 25 - All School Small Groups NEXT: Jan. 30 - Mrs. Lyzenga
- WC Worship - Jan. 25 - All School Small Groups NEXT: Jan. 30 - Mr. Leugs
Explore South Christian has been rescheduled for TONIGHT, Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 7:00 pm. Please join us to find out more about South Christian for your 8th grade student. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office at 616-455-3210 or email Sherri DeVries at email@example.com. We look forward to having you Discover Your Direction at Explore South Christian!
8th Grade Parents: Your child's 8th grade picture and baby picture are needed for the yearbook. All pictures can be submitted electronically (preferred) or as a hard copy. All hard copy pictures WILL be returned to you. If you wish to use the picture that was taken by Karen Huttenga, please send Kim Z. an email so she can confirm she has the right photo. When submitting your photo, please keep in mind that 4x6 or 5x7 is the ideal size, vertical orientation is best and head shots are preferred. All photos should be submitted by Friday, Feb. 1. Questions? Contact Kim Z - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SKI CLUB - 6th, 7th, 8th graders: We will be heading to Bittersweet on Jan. 24, and 30. More dates to be determined. If you are interested in going with us, be sure to sign up on Sign-up-Genius no later than the Monday before we go so we can be sure we have enough drivers. Here is the link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C49AEAA2CAA8-lcsski or you can email Faythe Patterson at email@example.com. If you still need a ski club discount card, please bring your forms and money to school ASAP. Let me know if you have any questions!
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE
JAN. 24 - CALVIN - AWAY
JAN. 31 - HUDSONVILLE - AWAY
FEB. 5 - ADAMS - HOME
FEB. 7 - ZEELAND - AWAY
7TH GRADE GIRLS BBALL
JAN. 29 - BYRON CENTER - HOME
JAN. 31 - HUDSONVILLE - HOME
FEB. 5 - HERITAGE 2 - AWAY (5:15)
FEB. 7 - ZEELAND - HOME
TRIP COORDINATOR NEEDED
We are grateful to Melody Newhouse for her fine work as our school's TRIP coordinator. Melody has informed us of her desire to leave this position and concentrate on other work opportunities. As a result, we are currently accepting applications for this paid position.
A partial list of the TRIP coordinator's duties include: scheduling volunteer help, ordering and organizing the inventory of gift cards, maintaining computer records and distributing earned tuition funds. These responsibilities require approximately 10 hours per week during the school year with reduced hours during the summer. Training (directly from Melody) is available for the successful candidate.
Interested parties are encouraged to connect with Mr. Bonnema for further information and/or complete and submit our school's general application form. This form can be found under the "contact us" tab on the school's website.
Cash and Carry will be open this Thursday, Jan. 24, from 7:45-10:00 am, at the west campus.
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
Are you doing extra cleaning around your house to ward off germs and sickness? Don't forget you can TerraCycle most of your cleaning products when you are done with them. TerraCycle Brigade Spotlight: Cleaning and Air Care Brigades: What can we send in? Pumps, caps, triggers, pouches and flexible cleaner product packaging of ALL brands and ALL types of cleaning products. Please note: For this brigade the actual bottle CANNOT be TerraCycled. Please recycle those. This brigade only collects the top, trigger or sprayer. We can even take the plastic top off of aerosol products (like Lysol, Endust or Pledge). Air freshener products and packaging: air freshener cartridges, plugs, packaging - including the glass plug ins, air freshener plastic trigger heads and aerosol bathroom spray cans (Febreze) are acceptable. So the next time you empty your dish washing liquid, clothes detergent, window cleaner, bathroom cleaner or use the last disinfecting wipe, make sure to TerraCycle the top! (Examples:Tide, Downy, Fantastic, Windex, Tilex, Dawn, etc.)
MOMS IN PRAYER
Moms in Prayer meets THIS Friday, at 8:45 am, in the conference room, right after worship as we will be praying for our student body and specifically for the following staff members: Kris Petersen, Kris DeKock and Pam White
If at any time you have a prayer request, we'd love to join you in prayer for these things. Please email them to Gina or drop a note in the Moms in Prayer box in either office. Hope to see you there! Questions? Prayer requests? Feel free to email Gina Huizingh: email@example.com.
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
- Kent & Shelly Hendricks - Ada-1st, Quinn - Prek
- Tony & Melody Henigan - Parker - 6th
- Dave & Michelle Heyboer - Andrew - 5th
- Nick Heyboer - Jake - 5th, Max - Kdgn
- Rachael Heyboer - Jake - 5th, Max - Kdgn
- Josh & Rachelle Hineline - Austin - 7th
- Daniel & Suzanne Hoeksema - Jacob - 6th
SCHS Music Boosters will be hosting our 4th annual Soup Supper fundraiser on Monday, Feb. 4, from 5:15-7:15 pm. This year students are raising funds for the Band and Orchestra Trip to Nashville, TN. The evening will take place in the Rotunda where you will enjoy a variety of soups, coleslaw, and desserts, as well as music performed by the students. If you would like to donate items towards the event, please use the link http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4fa8ab2fa5f49-2019. There will also be take-out options for families and staff (servings for 3 -$10 or a family package - $25). Individual student cost for the supper is $3 and families are asked to make a donation. Thank you in advance for your support of our Band and Orchestra students!
Host Family Needed! A host family is needed from now until the first week of June for a French exchange student. She is 14 years old and attends the East Kentwood freshman campus. If you are interested and want more information, please contact Kerri Monroy at 616-214-2454 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baton twirling classes available for ages 4-16 starting Feb. 7. Students can earn ribbons, medals, and trophies! Students will also have the opportunity to march in parades. Call (616) 460-1747, e-mail email@example.com, or visit us on our website at www.athleticsensations.com for more information.
Upcoming Dates and Events
23 Hot Lunch Forms Due
24 Stay & Play at Elementary (8:45 am)
28 Book Week Begins at Elementary
28/29 Preschool "Mom's" Breakfast
30 PTC Online Scheduling Begins
31 Early Childhood Registrations Due
12&14 Parent Teacher Conferences (5:00-7:30 pm)
13 Count Day
15 Caberfae Ski Trip
15&18 Mid-Winter Break
18 TfT Training for Staff
19 NO KENTWOOD BUSING