The Jefferson Journal February 20
Winter forms our character and brings out our best-Tom Allen
Thomas Jefferson was Nominated as a National Blue Ribbon School
Thomas Jefferson Elementary is one of eight Wisconsin schools to be nominated as a National Blue Ribbon School.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction recognized the school for academic excellence and making strides toward closing achievement gaps.
The seven other public schools nominated for Wisconsin are:
• Maple Dale Elementary School, Maple Dale-Indian Hill School District
• Lake Delton Elementary School, School District of Wisconsin Dells
• Altoona Intermediate School, School District of Altoona
• Nicolet Elementary School, Menasha Joint School District
• Lake Superior Elementary School, School District of Superior
• Red Apple Elementary School, Racine Unified School District
• Luther Elementary School, South Milwaukee School District
“We are nominating these eight schools for the National Blue Ribbon School award because they serve as great examples of our progression toward improving student outcomes across the state,” State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor said. “I wish these schools and their respective communities well in the next steps of this prestigious national program.”
Next, schools must complete the National Blue Ribbon Schools application and undergo a review. The national award winners will be announced in September 2020.
Important News For the coming weeks
- 20th Conferences 3:30-7:30
- 21st NO SCHOOL
- 25th Conferences 3:30-7:30
- 27th KG & 1st Grade Visit the Grand Theater (The Snowy Day) - am
- 2nd PTO Meeting in Library 5-6pm
- 4th 4K Parent at school day 9:55-10:55am and 1:10-2:10pm
- 6th 1st Grade Family Lunch
- 9th 2nd Grade Visits the Grand Theater (The One & Only Ivan) am
- 12th 5th Grade Visits John Muir
- 12th PTO Movie Night 5:30-7pm
- 13th 5th Grade Family Lunch
- 16th 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade Visit the Grand Theater
- 18th 2nd Grade School Forest
- 19th Last Day of Session 3 After School
- 20th 2nd Grade Family Breakfast
- 20th Early Dismissal 11:30am (no school 4K)
- 23-27th No SCHOOL SPRING BREAK
Noticias Importantes Para La Próxima Semana
- 20 de febrero Conferencias de 3:30-7:30 pm.
- 21 de febrero NO HAY CLASES
- 25 de febrero Conferencias de 3:30-7:30 pm.
- 27 de febrero Kinder y 1er grado visitarán El Gran Teatro ( The Grand Theater) por la mañana para ver el espectáculo Un Día Nevado (The Snowy Day).
- 2 de marzo Reunión de la Organización de Padres y Maestros (PTO)
- 4 de marzo Día de padres de Pre-Kinder en la escuela de 9:55-10:55 am y de 1:10-2:10 pm
- 6 de marzo Día de almuerzo en familia para 1er grado
- 9 de marzo 2do grado visitará el Gran Teatro (El Único e Incomparable Iván) en la mañana
- 12 de marzo 5to grado visitará John Muir
- 12 de Marzo Noche de película de PTO de 5:30-7pm
- 13 de marzo Día de almuerzo en familia para 5to grado
- 16 de marzo 3ro, 4to y 5to grado visitarán el Gran Teatro
- 19 de marzo Último día de los programas después de escuela de la sesión 3
- 20 de marzo Día de desayuno en familia para 2do grado
- 20 de marzo Salida de clases temprana a las 11:30 am (no hay clases para Pre-Kinder)
- 23-27 de marzo NO HAY CLASES POR QUE SON LAS VACACIONES DE PRIMAVERA
Yaam Tseem Ceeb Lub Asthiv tom Ntev
Lub Ob Hli Ntuj
- 20 Nam Txiv Tuaj Ntsib Nai khu 3:30- 7:30 tsaus ntuj
- 21 TSI MUAJ KAWM NTAWV
- 25 Nam Txiv Tuaj Ntsib Nai khu 3:30-7:30 tsaus ntuj
- 27 KG hab Qaib 1 Moog tom Grand Theater (The Snowy Day) -sawv ntxuv
Lub Peb Hli Ntuj
- 2 Nam Txiv Nai khu muaj Saablaaj PTO huv Library 5-6 tsaus ntuj
- 4 Nam Txiv 4K tuaj tom tsev kawm ntawv thaum 9:55-10:55 sawv ntxuv hab 1:10-2:10 yaav taav su
- 6 Nam Txiv/ Tsev tuabneeg Qaib 1 Tuaj Nrug Mivnyuas Noj Su
- 9 Qaib 2 Moog tom Grand Theater (Saib The One & Only Ivan) yaav sawv ntxuv
- 12 Qaib 5 Moog Saib John Muir
- 12 Nam Txiv Nai khu PTO Muaj Saib Movie 5:30-7 tsaus ntuj
- 13 Nam Txiv/Tsev Tuabneeg Qaib 5 Tuaj Nrug Mivnyuas Su
- 16 Qaib 3, 4, & 5 Moog tom Grand Theater
- 18 Qaib 2 Moog tom School Forest
- 19 Lub Program Lawb Ntawv Taag rua Qho 3
- 20 Nam Txiv/Tsev Tuabneeg Qaib 2 Tuaj Nrug Mivnyuas Noj Tshais
- 20 Lawb Ntawv 11:30 yaav taav su (tsi muaj 4K)
- 23-27 TSI MUAJ KAWM NTAWV Txug caij su
Read-a-thon Starts this week Thur February 20th until February 27th!! Pledge money should be brought in Thursday Feb 27th!
Dear Thomas Jefferson Families:
This year has started off to be very exciting for our students in regards to their positive behavior in and out of the classroom. With the support of our PBIS behavior expectations and daily practice the students are doing terrific!
We have a big event that rewards students at the end of the year in late May/early June. In the past we’ve done carnivals and dance parties. PBIS is currently planning a whole school reward that our students are sure to love!
Of course this event does not just happen, it takes months of planning and some funding. So we are asking for all the students and families to participate in a fun event which will hopefully bring in the funds to allow us to have a fun celebration.
We are having our fourth annual READ-A-THON on Friday, February 28th. This day was chosen because it coordinates with Read Across America Day! It will take place at school and students will be asked to read books or be read to for 60 minutes of time. We are asking that students go out and ask for pledges to help raise money to support our celebration.
Pledges could be in the form of:
By the minute: ($.05 a minute x’s 60 minutes = $3.00) (Maximum 60 minutes)
One time donation: ( Student reads for 60 minutes will donate $5.00)
All proceeds will go towards purchasing items for our celebration.
Attached to this note is a pledge sheet and envelope for students to use when gathering pledges. Students can begin asking family and friends for pledges on Thursday, February 20th. Pledges should be collected right away at the time you ask someone so they can be brought back to school on Thursday, February 27th. Remember each student will be reading or will be read to for 60 minutes on February 28th at school so if a person pledges a certain amount per minute they will pay for 60 minutes of reading. We will hold an all school assembly on Friday, February 28th where we will announce the total amount of money earned. Our goal for the building is to beat what we raised last year. It would be so terrific if we could reach our goal of $1200.00 and announce it at the assembly so the entire school could celebrate!
We need your help to make this a successful read-a-thon. We know that we have two great things happening here for our students. Reading practice and working together to accomplish a goal. Please consider participating as much as you can so we can be successful! If you have any questions please let your child’s classroom teacher know.
Thanks for your support!
The PBIS Team
Safety Patrol of the week February 17-21st
This week’s featured safety patrol is Ricky X. Ricky is a 4th grade student in Mrs. Ninnemann’s class. Ricky’s favorite subjects in school are writing and reading. When he is not at school, Ricky enjoys playing with his cat and helping his mom clean the house. Ricky says he enjoys getting younger kids home and safe. Thanks for your service, Ricky!
MATH NIGHT!!! Please join us February 25th from 5:30-6:15 pm in the Library!!
February Question of the Month
Good afternoon Thomas Jefferson families,
The District Title I Advisory Committee (principals, enrichment coordinators and parent representatives) would like to establish a process for two-way dialogue with families. Once monthly a question will be discussed at PTO meetings and then presented to the larger school community. We would love to hear from you!
Please click on the link to be directed to this short survey in English. Translated copies are attached and can be printed out, filled out and returned ot the school office. Thank you for your time, and have a great rest of your day!
Handwashing is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your family from getting sick!!
4K Registration for the 20-21 School Year
Registration is now open for the District's Four-Year-Old Kindergarten Program for the 2020-2021 school year. Our District is proud of our 4K Learning Academies located at G.D. Jones, Hawthorn Hills, Riverview, and Thomas Jefferson elementary schools. Our 4K research-based learning model focuses on collaboration and provides a solid foundation for children to reach their full potential. Whether children are enrolled in one of the District's 4K Learning Academies or one of our collaborative community outreach sites - children and their families will be warmly welcomed and come to know and love the 4K program mascot, Tucker Turtle!
Click here to begin the 4K registration process, and click here for a listing of 4K Open Houses. Please know the District is accepting open enrollment registrations for our 4K program. If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Fisher at 715-261-0265.
If you or someone you know is interested in enrolling their four-year-old in the District's 4K program, please forward this email to them. Thank you.
Shutterfly Storefront Fundraising Program
Through the Shutterfly Storefront Fundraising Program you can earn donations for Thomas Jefferson.
For every purchase made, Shutterfly will donate 8% to your organization (after discounts and before shipping and taxes). Below is the link that will bring you directly to the site.
Raptor Visitor Management System
The Raptor Visitor Management System has been up and running since January 2, 2020. The new process has been going very smoothly.
Upon entering a District school, visitors will be asked to present a valid state-issued ID. No other data from the ID is gathered or recorded. The system is not connected to any other database and information is not shared with any outside agency.
Once the visitor’s entry is approved, a badge will be issued that identifies the name of the visitor, the date and time, and the purpose of the visit. Children who do not have a valid ID may be allowed to visit as long as they are accompanied by an adult who has completed the check-in process and has been issued a badge. Regular volunteers and all contractors or subcontractors will be subject to the same procedure as visitors at all times. If the visitor’s identity cannot be verified through an acceptable form of identification, the visitor will not be allowed to proceed past the office area. The Raptor system does not replace our current volunteer process.
A visitor’s badge will not be necessary for those who visit our schools to simply pick up or drop off an item in the office. A badge is also not necessary for those who are picking up their child from the office as long as they are not going into the school building.
The Raptor Visitor Management System and process will only be used during school hours. Attendees at after-hours events such as performances, ceremonies, or academic/athletic competitions will not be required to complete the process.
Thank you for your cooperation in supporting our strengthened safety and security protocols in the Wausau School District.
E-Flyers posted as of February 15th can be found here.
E-Flyers from non-profit community organizations, as well as for District and school-sponsored activities and events, are routinely posted to the District website. To be sure our families do not miss these activities and events, an email will be sent to parents/guardians around the 1st and 15th of each month.
Guidelines for submitting E-Flyers can be found here.
If you need help or translation please feel free to email or call
Hu rau peb pab pawg neeg txhais lus thiab cov xibfwb qhia EL
Paokee Xiong - EL Teacher - email@example.com
Lisa Alexander - EL Teacher - firstname.lastname@example.org
Edgar Gomez Oviedo - Spanish Translator - email@example.com
Eileen Thao - Hmong Translator - firstname.lastname@example.org
James Lor - Hmong EL Paraprofessional - email@example.com
Samantha Kniess - 4K Spanish Bilingual Teacher - firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas Jefferson Family Cook Book!! Please share your recipes here!!!
We are celebrating our diverse and amazing Jefferson culture by compiling recipes that make our homes special! Add a dash of tradition and a cup of your family favorites! If you have a recipe that you would like to share for our end of the year Jefferson Family Cook Book here is the link and code to get there.
Once there, use the plus button under the correct recipe heading and type in your recipe! Let's grow in tradition together!
Please check out the February Home & School Connection
Please check out "Parents make the Difference Newsletter and Calendar"
After school Programs and Boys and Girls Club
Boys & Girls Club stops at Thomas Jefferson daily to pick up 4th and 5th graders who have signed up. If your interested please contact the Boys & Girls Club directly at 715 845-2582/ or Lisa Carroll at 715 261-0180