Stevenson Family Newsletter
Dear Stevenson Community,
Happy Holidays! Thank you for being a part of our school community. Have a safe and healthy Winter Break!
Christyn McCloskey, Principal
What's Up at Stevenson?
Friday, December 17th
- Students may not bring backpacks on the last day to minimize potential safety concerns
- Students may not wear pajamas and must adhere to SMS dress code (below)
- Remind your students that this is still a school day and the normal school rules are still in effect
Do Right Rally - Friday, December 17th
Students participating in the Do Right Rally are able to have "free dress" - please make sure your student's clothing is still appropriate and follows the guidelines below:
- No ripped clothing
- No hoodies
- No sweatpants, pajamas, spandex, etc.
- Shoes must have toes and heels covered
- Shoulders and midriffs must be covered; shorts/skirts/dresses may be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee
If your student is not able to participate this month because of a previous infraction - don't worry! They will have another opportunity next month. Students without any infractions for the month of January will be invited to participate in the January Do Right Rally.
Parents: We Need Your Help with Social Media!
Please help us monitor the situation by monitoring your student's Instagram activity. Most of these accounts ask others to submit photos/posts by direct messaging the owner of the account. You can also check your own student's accounts to ensure they do not have one of these hurtful spam accounts (see images/directions below).
We appreciate your support in keeping our school and the social media space safe for all of our school community!
Academics: DLA Testing
Report Cards and Progress Reports
Don't forget you can also check your student's grades online any time! Here is the link: https://hisdconnect.houstonisd.org/public/
Attendance - It's Important!
- Accountability – we want all 7 distinctions AND to be an A! Without high attendance, we won't make our goal earning all 7 distinctions from TEA.
- Funding - The amount of funding allotted to educate our children is dependent on our attendance rate each year. Help us get the most amount of resources for your students by attending school every day!
- Promotion Standards - students must have no more than 10% of unexcused absences to be promoted to the next grade level.
- Most Importantly – student learning! Students can't learn and grow if they aren't in the classroom learning from their teachers and peers.
After School Activities
- Football - fall
- Volleyball - fall
- Cross-Country - fall
- Cheerleading - year-round
- Basketball - in-season
- Soccer - spring
- Baseball/Softball - spring
- Track - spring
After-school clubs have started! Here is a list of clubs we have so far:
- Art Club
- Anime Club
- Robotics Club
- Name That Book Club
- UIL Academics Club
- Sparklers Dance Team
- Monday: Math
- Tuesday: ELAR
- Wednesday: Math & Science
- Thursday: ELAR & SS
If your student is a close contact to a CONFIRMED POSITIVE case of COVID-19:
- If the student is vaccinated, they will not need to quarantine and can stay in class. Please monitor student for symptoms over the following week.
- If the student is not vaccinated, the student will be removed from class and will wait for a parent or guardian to pick them up.
- Student will be enrolled in Temporary Online Learning. Student will receive a confirmation email with their schedule and instructions to log in.
- Specific quarantine instructions will be communicated to parents. Information will include the length of quarantine, earliest date student can test for COVID, and earliest date of return to school.
- UPDATE: Students who are close contacts to presumed positive individuals will no longer need to quarantine.
- UPDATE: All students who are in class with a confirmed positive individual will be notified - however, the name of the confirmed positive individual will not be released. Please remember that your student only needs to quarantine if they are a close contact to a confirmed positive individual - the school will notify you if this is the case.
- Presumed Positive: individual is displaying one or more COVID symptoms, but has not tested positive
- Confirmed Positive: individual has tested positive for COVID
- Close Contact: student was within 6 feet of presumed or confirmed positive individual for 15 minutes or longer within a 24 hour period.
January Coffee with the Principal
Currently, the meeting is set to be hybrid - you may attend in person or tune in virtually.
Links to all meetings can be found here: https://www.houstonisd.org/domain/52404
Houston Food Bank School Market
- January 12th - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- January 26th - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
The event will be held in the Bus Turnaround in the back of the school. Be sure to bring your ID and some shopping bags to carry all the food!
Students are required to adhere to the Stevenson dress code. Please refer to our school dress code policy on page 20 - 21 in the Student & Parent Handbook.
Stevenson Grading Policy
Meet the Stevenson Administrative Team!
7th Grade Administrator
6th Grade Administrator
8th Grade Administrator
Office of School Culture Administratorampiani@houstonisd.org