What is an eating disorder?
An eating disorder is any range of psychological disorders characterized by abnormal or disturbed eating habits. There are many different types of eating disorders that affect millions of people every year.
Facts and Statistics
- An estimated 1.0% to 4.2% of women have suffered with anorexia in their lifetime
- Anorexia has the highest fatality rate in mental illnesses
- About 4% of people with anorexia die because complications of the disease
- Only 1/3 of anorexia victims receive treatment
- An estimated 4% of females in the US have bulimia in their lifetime
- 3.9% of bulimic individuals will die due to complications
- Only 6% of of bulimic individuals receive treatment
- Eating disorders affect 10 millions females in the US
- Eating disorders affect 1 million males in the US
- 4 out of 10 individuals have either personally experienced an eating disorder or know someone who has