By Chyanne Kruse
Medium in size:Cows weigh 950-1,200 pounds.
Bulls weigh 1,200-1,600 ponds.
Newborn Calves weigh 30-50 pounds.= stay small for several months.
- Ankole have the largest horns of any species of cattle in the world.
- Some bulls can have horns that spread close to 2 meters across.
- Many members of the Bovid family have glands in the toe toed foot which leave a scent enabling an isolated individual to return to the herd.
- As a domesticated animal the Ankole is not a threatened species although individually they are preyed on by lions and leopards.
- Durring the day the calves sleep together with an "Auntie" Cow nearby for protection.
- At night the herd members sleep together with the calves in the center of the group for protection.
- The horns of adults serve as weapons against intruders.
to supply milk
they were rarely used for meat production
- Live in the Savannas and open grasslands,Their diet consists of grass and leaves.
- Able to utilize poor quality forage and limited quantities of food and water.