Holicong Middle School
Updates From Mr. Bucher
9th Grade Protest Day At Holicong
The 9th grade held its third annual Protest Day assembly to highlight the protest movements of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Soloists, student bands, and the 9th grade choir performed music from different genres including folk, Motown, and classic rock. The songs were interspersed with student speeches outlining the importance of each movement in the historical moment. Mr. Grund (a World War II veteran and long-time Holicong volunteer) performed a wonderful rendition of Blowin’ in the Wind that brought the students to their feet. A special thanks to Mr. Glaser for all of his efforts in preparing the musical acts.
Congratulations to Holicong's 2012-2013 National Junior Honor Society Inductees!
CB East Athletics!
On April 20, the C.B. East girls competed at the C.B. West Relays and captured 3 first place finishes in the following areas:
-Sprint Medley - Dara L., Meredith L., Alexis K, and Julia L.
-Triple Jump - Morgan D. and Brittany W.
-4x100 JV girls team - Leah K., Mikala P., Taylor M., and Taylor K.
Next Week's Athletics At Holicong
Monday, April 29
7th gr baseball – home VS Unami
Varsity track – home VS Unami
8th gr soccer – away VS Cecelia Snyder M.S.
Tuesday, April 30
7th grade soccer – away Tamanend
Wednesday, May 1
8th grade baseball/softball – home Klinger
7th grade baseball – away Richboro
Varsity track – home Newtown
Thursday, May 2
8th grade baseball/softball – away New Hope
7th grade soccer – home Tohickon
Friday, May 3
7th grade baseball - home Newtown
Varsity track – home Pennwood
8th grade soccer – away Newtown
A Cappella Festival
On Saturday, April 20th, Holicong’s H-Factor joined with select choirs from the other middle schools in CB to share our music with each other and get some amazing feedback on how to improve our performances. During the afternoon, each of the choirs performed two songs and then received tips, pointers and suggestions from members of our guest artists, Boston based a cappella group, Five o’ Clock Shadow. Then in the evening, all the choirs participated in a sold-out public concert that featured FOCS plus collegiate heavyweights “Off the Beat” from the University of Pennsylvania. The grand finale was a performance of Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” that featured all the participating middle school students singing along with FOCS. Thanks to all of the Holicong students, parents, family and community members who supported this event.
CB Board Meeting Briefs
At the April 23, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Jazz Band performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Kovnot’s 1st grade Jamison class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about “Training Peer Mentors”. This is a video created by Lindsay Smith and Renee McErlean, teachers at Bridge Valley Elementary School, along with their students demonstrates what they have learned about Autism and what they have learned about being a friend.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports.
4. Approved the School Board Minutes.
5. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
6. Approved the Resolution for the 2013-2014 Proposed Final Budget. The proposed final budget for 2013-2014 is $290,683,982. There will be a “zero” increase in Real Estate Taxes for the 2013-2014 school year. The school board will take action on the final budget adoption at the May 28 meeting.
7. Ratified the transfer of $23 million from the General Fund to the Debt Service Fund.
8. Approved Purchasing Items for the following subject areas: General Teaching, General Art, Secondary Art, Physical Education, Science, Tech Ed General Hardware, Team Sports Supplies.
9. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
- Emergency generator at the Ed Services Center to Pinnacle Electrical Construction - $262,400
- Roofing replacement at the Ed Services Center to Laurant Construction Co. - $199,695
- Roofing repairs and installation of a new single ply membrane at the Transportation Annex to Union Roofing Contractors - $98,000
10. Tabled School Board Policies Use of Medications and Electronic Signatures so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
11. Approved School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television.
12. Approved various personnel items and student trips.
13. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item.