SPS Board Highlights
Nov. 4, 2019
Horace Mann Lights On After School
Horace Mann Elementary Recognized
Horace Mann teachers and students highlighted the beginning of the Shawnee Board of Education meeting. School counselor Don Acker led the moment of silence and invocation. Fifth-grade siblings Luke and Leia Kubiak led the group in the flag salute. Principal Susan Field then showed the Board a video about the school's recent "Lights On After School" event that featured a medieval theme. Field said more than 300 people attended the event featuring STEAM activities for the afterschool program's students and their families.
Central Office Reports
- Assistant Superintendent Brent Houston announced to board members that the Child Nutrition Program had received three equipment grants totaling more than $54,000 to purchase steamers for Jefferson, Sequoyah and Will Rogers elementary schools. He also mentioned that every school site had received at least one grant from the Shawnee Educational Foundation. Shawnee SEF grants totaled more than $27,000.
- Assistant Superintendent Dr. Teresa Wilkerson presented the Drop Out and College Remediation Report and ACT scores to the Board. Wilkerson also described how SHS is using the ACT ASPIRE this year for every junior. The ASPIRE is given four times throughout the school year and is given in four parts each time: math, English, reading and science. The data from these tests will help students, teachers and administrators examine strengths and weaknesses in student skills and in curriculum.
- All consent docket items were approved.
- The Board approved a cooperative agreement between SPS and Gordon Cooper Technology Center Division of Practical Nursing for practicums.
- The Board did not approve an agenda item on purchasing two used trucks to replace aging maintenance fleet vehicles. The discussion focused on the wording of the agenda item that did not include a process for accepting bids. Houston offered to reword the agenda item for future consideration.
- All personnel items were approved as presented.
Board Agendas Available Via Public Link
Current Shawnee Public Schools Board of Education meeting agendas are available at our public link. Board meetings are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Board Room located at the SPS Central Office, 326 N. Union.