The Cat's Connection
After the first month of school, we have seen just exactly what we had hoped. Kids are engaged, kids are working together, and our teachers are working to foster the right kind of environment for these two things to happen. The focus of our inservice work was getting our students to be active learners, and the first month provided many examples of how our teachers and students are right on target! Our Open House & Exhibition Night next week will highlight some of these activities, and I am hoping that many of you be able to attend at some point during the evening.
As unbelievable as it may seem, November is just around the corner, which means it's just about time for parent-teacher conferences. Conference time is not only a good time to review students' academic work, but equally important it's an opportunity to come together to help our kids work through any challenges they might be having. We value our partnership with parents and look forward to being able to connect with you to ensure success for our kids. Come mid-November, we will contact you with information about scheduling a conference.
I appreciate our students, our parents, our community, and our staff. We have a lot of good things going on at LaCreole, and it's because of the genuine effort of everyone involved. Thank you for being a part of what's happening at LaCreole Middle School!
See you at Open House & Exhibition Night!
Open House and Exhibition Night -- Tuesday, October 25, 6-8 p.m.
Site Council Needs You!
The Comedy of Terrors - Fall Play
Homework Club Begins!
If you have any further questions, please email the Homework Club coordinator, Michele Schilling, at Michele.Schilling@dsd2.org.
Notes From Our Counseling Center
LaCreole Middle School's counselor, Kayce Lilley, is here to support students’ academic, social, and emotional needs. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. If Ms. Lilley is unavailable, students may request an appointment in the Counseling Center. Parents are encouraged to contact Mrs. Hays, registrar, to schedule an appointment: 503-623-6663.
Things to know to help your student be successful in middle school:
- Sign up for Home Access, which is an online tool to access student grades. Go to www.lacreolemiddleschool.org, click on parent tab, scroll down to Home Access. If you need a login and password, please contact the Counseling Center at 503-623-6663.
- Encourage your student to use their Student Agenda to write down homework, important due dates, and test dates.
- Remind your student to share progress reports and communication from teachers.
- Encourage your student to attend Homework Club, which meets on Wednesdays beginning October 26 from 3:30-4:10 in the library.
- Attend a parent-teacher conference. Fall conferences will be November 21 and 22. Spring conferences will be March 24. We will begin scheduling for fall conferences on November 7.
Challenges for Middle School Students:
- Physical, emotional, and intellectual changes
- Adjusting to new, larger school, including more teachers and classrooms
- Making new friends
- Peer pressure
- Struggling with identity and seeking independence
Tips for Parent Survival:
- Be patient! Attitudes can change by the day and hour.
- Allow for independent thought, but guide them in the process.
- Teach your child good judgment.
- Talk with your child. Ask questions, listen, and give praise.
Strengthening Families Workshops
Support Our Annual Food Drive!
Box Tops for Education
October 25 - OPEN HOUSE & EXHIBITION NIGHT! 6-8 p.m.
October 25 - 7th Grade Language Arts Field Trip to Independence Theatre
October 26 - 6th Grade STEM Field Trip to OSU
October 27, 28, 29 - Fall Play Comedy of Terrors
October 28 - Inservice Day - No School for Students
November 4 - District Assessment Day - No School for Students
November 11 - Veterans Day - No School
November 16 - Band Concert - 7:00 pm at DHS
November 18 - Activity Night (get in early, 6:30 p.m., with canned food)
November 21 - 23 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - No School for Students
November 24 & 25 - Thanksgiving Holiday - No School
December 13 - Holiday Band Concert 7:00 pm at DHS