November APIC-SPS Newsletter
Vaccination Clinic for Children Ages 5-11 Years Old
Wednesday, Dec. 8th, 4-8:30pm
Olympia High School, Olympia, WA, USA
COVID-19 Update—Fully Vaccinated Adults 18 and Older Now Eligible for a Booster Dose
Adults are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or their single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
According to the CDC and the Washington State Department of Health, all fully vaccinated adults over the age of 18 are now eligible for a booster dose.
APIC-SPS now has masks! Drop by the youth vaccination clinic to pick one up for free.
APIC-SPS 2021 Legislative Listening Session Survey
Every year, APIC puts together a legislative agenda that states our policy priorities for the Washington State legislative session. This legislative agenda is centered on which policies will best advance the racial and economic justice of all Asian and Pacific Islanders, in solidarity with other Black, Brown, and Indigenous communities. It is very important that our legislative agenda and our advocacy work is responsive to what our communities actually need, want, and deserve - which is why we’re putting together this listening session.
- On November 15th, the Redistricting Commission failed to agree on maps before the legal deadline (they faked a vote before midnight, but it was illegitimate)
- On November 16th, the Commission shared the late maps that they had agreed upon (which, again, are legitimate since they missed the deadline). These maps also violated the voting rights of Latino voters in Yakima
- What happens next? This will go to the Washington Supreme Court where they have until April 30th to draw final maps. Redistricting Justice for Washington (RJW) will be submitting their community-made maps for consideration and take legal action, if needed.
For more information and up-to-date news: redistrictingjusticewa.org
What's happening with the redistricting:
- Commission report link to Supreme Court
- RJW Commission’s Districts Fact sheet link
- FAQ questions on the SC website
The deadline for registration for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Burma (Myanmar) ended on November 22. This will allow some individuals from Burma who are currently in the U.S. and who meet certain requirements to temporarily remain in the country and work.
Individuals applying for TPS under the designation of Burma must submit an Application for Temporary Protected Status (Form I-821) during the 180-day initial registration period that runs from May 25, 2021 through November 22, 2021.
Small Business Flex Fund
The pandemic has impacted all of our communities, but it has been especially hard on Washington’s smallest businesses and nonprofits. This loan program is designed to help them access funds they need at a competitive interest rate to bounce back stronger than ever.
Small businesses and nonprofits can borrow up to $150,000 and the money can be spent flexibly, including on payroll, utilities & rent, supplies, marketing & advertising, building improvements or repairs, and other business expenses.
Supported by the Washington State Department of Commerce
Build Back Better
Parole would mean work permits and protections from deportation for millions. While this is a step in the right direction, and work permits and protections would change the lives of millions in our community, this is NOT the pathway to citizenship that many of us demanded.
The Build Back Better bill heads to the Senate, where members will have the chance to add a pathway to citizenship in their version of the bill.
This current version might allow many to adjust their status through their families. It would also leave the vast majority of folks in a temporary status that will end in 2031.
Below are 3 ways you can show Congress that our communities demand a pathway for citizenship for many in our community:
- Call your members of Congress!
- Meet with your members of Congress! Email email@example.com to get connected.
- Make some noise by joining a rally with United We Dream Action!
Multicultural Service Center of South Sound (MSCSS) Update
- We have filed for 501(c)(3) status and will soon file with the IRS.
- We're looking for an accountant and lawyer. If you know of anyone, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
APIC-SPS Holiday Party
Please contact email@example.com if you'd like to help with the planning for this event!