The Thomas Times
Science and Math Happenings for the Week of Sept. 7, 2015
The Art of Being a Dodd Student
*We will also be selling "Got Grit" t-shirts for both students and parents on this night. We would love for all students to have one of these awesome shirts that show off one of our Wylie Way core values. The profits from the t-shirt sales will go towards classroom technology and learning materials.*
This Week in Math...
- We are continuing to work on place value to the hundred billions place. We have been reading, writing, and expanding numbers. The kiddos have been working really hard! This is a tough unit and takes lots practice. You can use the digit cards your child brought home last week to practice building a number in standard form and writing numbers in word form.
- For the remainder of the week, we will be working on comparing and ordering numbers. The strategy we will be using is lining up the places in the numbers and comparing them starting at the greatest place. We will be comparing two numbers using the symbols <, >, and =, and comparing a list of numbers, putting them in order from least to greatest or greatest to least.
- We took our first timed multiplication test last Friday. Hopefully, now that they have one test under their belts, the kids are feeling more confident and comfortable and will show some growth on their next test. Students will be tracking their test scores so that they can monitor their progress. It is vital that students work on getting the facts through 12x12 memorized! They are the building blocks for higher level math topics such as long division, double-digit multiplication, and fractions.
This Week in Science...
- We are learning how to use the physical properties of matter to classify matter.
- We will be using a triple beam balance to measure mass and graduated cylinders to measure volume in class this week. At the end of the week, we will begin labs so that students will have some hands-on practice using these tools to measure mass and volume.
Grandparent's Day Breakfast
YOU ARE INVITED TO
JOIN US FOR BREAKFAST
Breakfast consists of your choice of:
* Cinnamon Roll & Eggs OR * Cereal & Eggs
Choice of Milk
* White Milk * Chocolate Milk
Bottled Water $1.00