Motto: "Prepared in Mind and Resources"
Population: 4,832,482 million - 24th most populous
Area: 32,020 sq. mi. - 40th biggest state
Largest cities: Columbia & Charleston
Main religions: Christian 85%, Baptist 41%, Methodist 15%
State tree: Cabbage Palmetto
State bird: Carolina Wren
State flower: Yellow Jessamine
The South Carolinian flag has existed since 1775. It represents the white palmetto tree (which is the state tree) and the white crescent.
South Carolina Map
South Carolina is made up of 46 counties.
The Palmetto tree symbolizes when they defeated the British at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's island.
- King Charles I of England owned/watched over the land on which South Carolina is located
- South Carolina was the first state to go away from the Union
- There are more than 300 public and private golf courses in South Carolina
- Myrtle Beach is in the center of the Grand Strand and it has a 60 mile crescent beach
- South Carolina grows more peaches than any other state except California
- The only commercial tea plantation in America is in South Carolina
- The Upper Whitewater Falls is the highest cascade in east America, it drops for nearly 411 feet